I think the Yankees will destroy Oriole pitching this week...

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

The time isn't coming, the time is here.  As sportsfan mentioned, this is a good team whether fans want to admit it or not.  But 30 of mostly terrible baseball does a number to a fan base. 

The Yankees don’t intimidate me in the slightest.   The Orioles are an excellent team that is getting better day by day.  We’re the best team in the league until someone proves we’re not.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I told you that your prediction of a Yankees sweep, while killing us at the same time, was the best reverse lock bet I have ever seen.

You are that bad.

You are a good guy, but way way too emotional when it comes to sports. 

I didn't fly or drive to Vegas but I did paypal my cousin in MI and bet $1500 on the O's today. 

And I will do the same tomorrow.  You are that much of an anti lock jinx bet.  I would normally tell you to stop posting but like George Constanza, if you hate their chance to win?  They likely will win.

I've posted here for something like 20 years and don't remember 1 post from Roy that picks a fight with another poster like yours does here.

Make the reverse lock point. Calm down. Enjoy the victory. Cash your likely imaginary check and enjoy the ride. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Anyone on this board who has been here for 10 years knows I coined the phrase "MFY" in referencing the Yankees. I hate the Yankees more than anything in sports.

A man after my heart.  I hated the Pirates for a long time after ‘70 and ‘79, and I detest the Penguins.  So this NHL regular season ending was tres enjoyable.

Edited by Chelsea_Phil

27 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I've posted here for something like 20 years and don't remember 1 post from Roy that picks a fight with another poster like yours does here.

Make the reverse lock point. Calm down. Enjoy the victory. Cash your likely imaginary check and enjoy the ride. 

“Cash your imaginary check”. Lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

“Cash your imaginary check”. Lol

Who knows, maybe he lives in a state without online sports betting, has the means to lay $1,500 on the money line of a baseball game and actually believes that Roy's posting is indicative of the Orioles' performance.

But I kind of doubt it.

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

The time isn't coming, the time is here.  As sportsfan mentioned, this is a good team whether fans want to admit it or not.  But 30 of mostly terrible baseball does a number to a fan base. 

I will say that in 1970 I didn’t think the Yankees were going to destroy Oriole pitching. And if I did, I wouldn’t have said it out loud. 

Sure I was only seven. But yeah it is starting to stand out that many still think of this team as if it is a pretender. 

I expect a win. Every night. Every series. Why would you not?

Do I think the East is assured?  No. But it goes through Baltimore. 

Do I think the WS is assured?  Of course not. But I do think one or more is coming. 

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 1

I'll be honest - I had almost no faith we would win yesterday with a 1-0 lead for the majority of it. We had 2 on, no out at one point I think and didn't cash in. That felt like one of those pivotal moments in a would-be loss. But it never transpired. The Yankees had their chances, too, but didn't cash in. We were also out-hit. Coulombe was saved by the wall in the 9th. Judge just missed one before that as well. It feels a bit like a lucky win to me, and I think that's why the board has seemed a bit muted in the aftermath. 

That said, we played exceptionally good defense and we won a tight shutout without our closer. The station-to-station nature of the NY hitters did them no favors on the basepaths. 

Tonight will be interesting with most of our main bullpen pieces down. It will come down to whether or not we can solve the mystery of Nestor Cortes and how many home runs Dean allows on his cutter. (I'm joking, but only kinda.) 

On 4/29/2024 at 1:09 PM, Malike said:

Wait...the Yankees have the 2nd best pitching MLB. We are middle of the pack in the teens. What is great pitching in your estimation?

They have been way better than they should be IMO. Admittedly, or obviously, I haven't been paying close attention. I just don't think they will continue to perform way above their potential.  I just like tooling on the Yanks. :) The big O of the Yanks was pretty fierce last night. 😬 I also don't think they can win the marathon the MLB season is due to their injury prone starters and we'll have a comfortable lead as the season progresses.

Just now, BirdCakes22 said:

They have been way better than they should be IMO. Admittedly, or obviously, I haven't been paying close attention. I just don't think they will continue to perform way above their potential.  I just like tooling on the Yanks. :) The big O of the Yanks was pretty fierce last night. 😬 I also don't think they can win the marathon the MLB season is due to their injury prone starters and we'll have a comfortable lead as the season progresses.

I'm not sure they are pitching with smoke and mirrors. The big O of the Orioles scored 1 run on their own and 1 thanks to Anthony Volpe and amassed a whopping 4 hits. I don't think that was luck on the pitcher's side.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I'm not sure they are pitching with smoke and mirrors. The big O of the Orioles scored 1 run on their own and 1 thanks to Anthony Volpe and amassed a whopping 4 hits. I don't think that was luck on the pitcher's side.

The Yankees offense is largely predicated on walks and their pitching conversely has a mediocre K/BB rate but gives up very weak contact.

Cortes has traditionally been very good at limiting quality contact and subbing out Severino for Stroman certainly helps, but Gil and Rodon’s x wOBACON are down nearly .100 points from last year. Hard to think they’ll continue preventing runs that well though with such a mediocre K/BB rate.

They currently have the 4th best BABIP and LOB%, along with the 9th lowest HR%. So even with the strong quality of contact they’ve been pretty fortunate (9th in x wOBA, 8th in wOBA, 2nd in ERA). 

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The Yankees offense is largely predicated on walks and their pitching conversely has a mediocre K/BB rate but gives up very weak contact.

Cortes has traditionally been very good at limiting quality contact and subbing out Severino for Stroman certainly helps, but Gil and Rodon’s x wOBACON are down nearly .100 points from last year. Hard to think they’ll continue preventing runs that well though with such a mediocre K/BB rate.

They currently have the 4th best BABIP and LOB%, along with the 9th lowest HR%. So even with the strong quality of contact they’ve been pretty fortunate (9th in x wOBA, 8th in wOBA, 2nd in ERA). 

The numbers are great, but there are plenty of times when they don't find correction and continue to happen for the length of a season. Oftentimes, an unusually low BABIP remains just that, unusually low for an entire season or longer.

Edited by Malike

9 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Pick a fight?  I am not picking a fight with Roy.  All I said was he is a very emotional poster who says a lot of very emotional things that if he wasn't who he was?  Would be completely ridiculed on here.  It is a big double standard.  Everyone knows this.  Including Roy.  Hence why he does it. 

Here is how much of a 'fight' I am picking with Roy.

I literally wrote this 3 days ago in response to a post of his.  Does this sound like a guy who dislikes Roy?  I called him a good guy and a gentleman.  That doesn't mean I just suck up to him when he makes crazy posts like the "I think the Yankees will destroy Oriole pitching this week..." post.

Wow.

On 4/28/2024 at 8:35 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I was batboy for several seasons in that stadium...and I dont mind people mocking me...its fun...ive been mocked plenty in my career...

You are a good guy.  I remember watching you with my dad...I think on ESPN doing interviews, and I remember always thinking even back then what a gentleman you were. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

7 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Who knows, maybe he lives in a state without online sports betting, has the means to lay $1,500 on the money line of a baseball game and actually believes that Roy's posting is indicative of the Orioles' performance.

But I kind of doubt it.

Actually, yesterday I had my brother bet the Os via online MGM in Michigan since he lives there and I live in CA and we can't bet in CA online. 

I am betting double or nothing tomorrow.  Not today as I don't trust Kremer against that lineup.

Thursday I will be in Vegas until Sunday at Aria so I will consider my options then.

And yes I 100% made the bet because of the reverse Roy lock jinx bet scenario.   And I cleared around $45K in profit on CAUD early yesterday.  I actually day trade for a living.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Haha 1

Let tonight serve as another example that the Yankees are no juggernaut and nothing for the Orioles (the better/more talented team) to be afraid.

I get it, it was that way for a long time. But in life the only constant is change. Times have changed.