From DFA’d to producing like one of MLB’s best hitters: Ryan O’Hearn has found his groove in Baltimore

LA2

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I hope O'Hearn plays a big role in the O's winning the World Series this season.

But IMO there is a decision to be made between O'Hearn and Mayo this off season.  O'Hearn will turn 31 in July.   His option for 2025 is 7.5M.     Mayo will be 23 next  season.  He will make the minimum salary.   

Mountcastle is an issue too. Mayo would make more sense in a platoon with O'Hearn than with Mountcastle. Eventually Mayo should be full time 1B, maybe sharing some AB's with Basallo and Kjerstad. HEQiKYiW7IT06Fjm.jpg

I think Elias stumbled into this not really knowing what we might get out of O'Hearn. Even after a good year, he looked a bit worn down at the end and I was fully expecting regression. Instead, he has gotten even better, crushing the ball for loud outs even when he isn't getting hits. He just looks really locked in. 

With the production we are getting, we really can't complain about O'Hearn blocking the prospects.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Mountcastle is an issue too. Mayo would make more sense in a platoon with O'Hearn than with Mountcastle. Eventually Mayo should be full time 1B, maybe sharing some AB's with Basallo and Kjerstad. HEQiKYiW7IT06Fjm.jpg

I think Elias stumbled into this not really knowing what we might get out of O'Hearn. Even after a good year, he looked a bit worn down at the end and I was fully expecting regression. Instead, he has gotten even better, crushing the ball for loud outs even when he isn't getting hits. He just looks really locked in. 

With the production we are getting, we really can't complain about O'Hearn blocking the prospects.

Glad we can have brighter days ahead.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This post by Aristotelian brought to you by Trilogy Health Services LLC. Because when the Orioles win, you can Embrace What's Next. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

McCann gets at bat vs lefties because there is no other right handers on current roster.  Who do you want hitting Mayo or McCann.  You can get Mayo at bats by sliding Mullins out vs a lefty and letting Mateo play center with Westburg moving to 2nd and Mayo at 3rd.  Then you can give Henderson a two or three days off a month moving Mateo over to SS.  I think some of the guys wore down at the end of the season as they hadn’t played this long last year.  I would like to see a few more days off for our starters and we have the depth to not see a big drop off.  Henderson can hit lefties but does he do it better than Mayo would?  I hope Henderson gets a day off this weekend.  

you're replying to my post without reading it. Again where does mayo play on this 26. So who goes of the roster (Urias) You're going to have Mayo play 3B over Urias? This administration loves defense. Did you watch the Yankee series?

2 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

you're replying to my post without reading it. Again where does mayo play on this 26. So who goes of the roster (Urias) You're going to have Mayo play 3B over Urias? This administration loves defense. Did you watch the Yankee series?

It is time for Urias to go.  He is nice player plays very good defense but he should never be holding anyone back from coming up.  Hays should be back soon and he replaces Heston then you bring either bring up Norby who can play some infield and corner outfield or Mayo and to play 3rd, 1st and DH.  Urias and McKenna are not part of the future and should not be holding anyone back when the team feels the others are ready.  Mayo is at the halfway point of a half season at Norfolk this year and last so it is very close to time and Norby maybe even closer.  When Elias is saying he is very close I expect it within the next month or so.  

• Upvote 1

You can get Mayo on this roster without DFAing Urias.

1. Hays in, McKenna out
2. Mayo in, Kjerstad out

Mayo DHs vs LHP and Adley gets more rest (a good thing). Mateo and Hays backup CF. Urias UTIL IF. 

Now once Holliday comes back up, that's when I see Urias getting cut if everyone is healthy. 

5 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

It is time for Urias to go.  He is nice player plays very good defense but he should never be holding anyone back from coming up.  Hays should be back soon and he replaces Heston then you bring either bring up Norby who can play some infield and corner outfield or Mayo and to play 3rd, 1st and DH.  Urias and McKenna are not part of the future and should not be holding anyone back when the team feels the others are ready.  Mayo is at the halfway point of a half season at Norfolk this year and last so it is very close to time and Norby maybe even closer.  When Elias is saying he is very close I expect it within the next month or so.  

Who are they holding back?

4 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Seems like you forgot Holliday at 2nd with Westburg at 3B.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

You can get Mayo on this roster without DFAing Urias.

1. Hays in, McKenna out
2. Mayo in, Kjerstad out

Mayo DHs vs LHP and Adley gets more rest (a good thing). Mateo and Hays backup CF. Urias UTIL IF. 

Now once Holliday comes back up, that's when I see Urias getting cut if everyone is healthy. 

The question becomes who is more helpful to the team with Urias and Mckenna.  I know most will say Urias but what has he done the year plus, last 140 games, that would help the team.  He has been worth -.2 WAR  where Mckenna has been worth .2 WAR  So there on the field difference is not much if any.  Urias has a lot of guys that can replace him at 2nd and 3rd.  Mateo, Holliday, Norby, Mayo, Westburg Henderson combination can all play 2nd or 3rd.  Mckenna can play centerfield which is the one position that we seem to not have a lot of options for.  Mullins can do it for sure,  Cowser struggled last year greatly at it.  Hays always has injury issues and his legs giving him trouble again and looked like he lost a step this season, granted sometimes it looks like he can't run around the bases but then makes a nice play in the outfield running things down.  Mateo looks like he can play center but the bat can be a question and most the people on here wanted him let go this off season.  With the questions of Hays injuries it might be better to keep Mckenna around then Urias in the short term and by end of the year I hope both are gone and the younger guys are playing for both of them.  

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't see Holliday getting much play vs a lefties this season just like Gunnar didn't last year especially with his overall struggles earlier in the year they will ease him in this season for the most part.  I expect he starts vs right handers and sits vs most lefties.   

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If Mayo can play a decent 3B and mash, Westburg can play 2B and I’ll worry about Holliday later.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

If Mayo can play a decent 3B and mash, Westburg can play 2B and I’ll worry about Holliday later.

Mayo is likely to have an adjustment period just like Adley, Gunnar and Westburg.