Saturday, May 4 in Cincinnati: John Means returns to the mound

SteveA

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Jorge Mateo's HR and his defensive play to backup Mountcastle and throw out the runner at 2nd after the error was the difference in the game.

I am tired of Mateo but have to be honest.  You are right he was a difference maker tonight.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok, the question now, is why have Kimbrel pitch? Cano could have done the 9th and Kimbrel would have had a day off and would be available tomorrow. Now can through 14 pitches and would be questionable for tomorrow, and Kimbrel threw 18. So instead of one guy resting tomorrow, now you’ve got two.

This is the problem with carrying a guy who can’t handle a normal work load. It’s going to exhaust the other members of the bullpen trying to cover for him.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Suarez will hopefully be a reliable late inning guy.  I was hoping he would be used tonight.  Definitely need to add someone at or before the deadline.

I want to see if Suarez can throw 98 MPH out of the bullpen knowing he won't be trying to pitch 5 to 6 innings.

6 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Kimbrel is fine.  Hyde needs to learn to manage his workload.  He's a guy, he's not the guy.  He's not Bautista.  He's not peak Kimbrel.  I think he and Cano should share closing duties depending on matchups. 

I don’t think you can manage a season like that. If he can’t pitch in back to back days after having almost a week off that is not a good sign at all.

We are not going to have the luxury of protecting Kimbrel throughout the season.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You can’t really afford to coddle Kimbrel because he can’t carry his own weight. It will put too much stress on the other members of the pen.

It’s not coddling.  He is 35.  

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s not coddling.  He is 35.  

Whether he’s 35, 25, or 45; you cannot ask the other members of the pen to pitch more in order to protect him. You will end up wearing out your effective relievers overworking them trying to protect Kimbrel.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This looks like a really good pitching staff, but there are some unusual circumstances. Kimbrel can't handle the usual closer's load. There is uncertainty about Bradish's and Means' workload, and you want to try to keep them going all season with something left in the tank for the post-season. I think there's need to diverge from the standard pitching roles in a way that's creative. One possibility: DFA Urias and carry an extra pitcher.

Edited by spiritof66

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This is the problem with carrying a guy who can’t handle a normal work load. It’s going to exhaust the other members of the bullpen trying to cover for him.

Yes, it's a problem, or certainly looks like one. What do you do about it?

It is unfair to the rest of the team to allow one guy to consistently drag you down. This would have been his fourth blown save in what 12 chances? That is not an acceptable conversion rate on a team this good with these kind of aspirations. He is literally the only weakness on the team.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Yes, it's a problem, or certainly looks like one. What do you do about it?

For right now IL him. Bring up another arm that has some actual use. Add Suarez to the mix at the back end that includes Cano, Coulombe, Webb, (and for some reason) Perez.

You can’t keep asking the rest of the guys to rescue him.

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

This looks like a really good pitching staff, but there are some unusual circumstances. Kimbrel can't handle the usual closer's load. There is uncertainty about Bradish's and Means' workload, and you want to try to keep them going all season with something left in the tank for the post-season. I think there's need to diverge from the standard pitching roles in a way that's creative.  some limitations and a need to be creative.  One possibility: DFA Urias and carry an extra pitcher.

MLB rule: can't carry more than 13 pitchers.