The Schedule Thread, 2024

harp6

I don't get how they make schedules sometimes.   I like how they did things in April with an off day about every week or so.  But why do the O's have off 2 of the next 4 games.  The O's then have 6 consecutive games and a day off.  No problem.

Then the O's hit a stretch of 45 days starting May 17th where they have 43 games and only 2 off days.  In that span, they have stretches of 13, 17, and 13 consecutive games.  Now I am glad that it is not a long stretch at the end of the season like last year, but regardless, it is a crazy schedule for a month and a half.

May 6th Off

May 7-8th 2 games against Wash.

May 9th off

May 10 - 15th            6 consecutive games

May 16th off

May 17-29th              13 consecutive games

May 30th off

May 31st - June 16   17 consecutive games

June 17th off

June 18-30th             13 consecutive games

The interleague games tend to screw stuff up. Rare two game series. Also play WAS in another 2 game at home. Play your “rival team” 4 times. 

99% of all off days are on Mon-Thur. Just a quirk this week.  

I have the assume the extra off days early are for two reasons - weather in many cities much more questionable in April/early May, and pitchers aren't fully ramped so the extra days off provides more rest.

I kind of like how the minors do it though - just off every Monday, and play the other 6 days, no questions asked.  That would allow for a lot of weeks w/ two 3-game series, and a few w/ a 2-gamer and a 3-gamer.  No idea if it would work fully to get in the 162, since the minors play less games, but it lead to a built in rest day for every team, every week, all at the same time - no games w/ a fully rested team vs a team that just had 2 out of 4 days off and all that.

Obviously the players make big money; but its streaks like the one detailed in the OP where they really earn it.  That's a major grind.

That's amazing that the O's only have 1 day off for the entire month of June.

And it's especially weird that they have 2 days off this week when they are only traveling from Baltimore to DC and back.

8 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I have the assume the extra off days early are for two reasons - weather in many cities much more questionable in April/early May, and pitchers aren't fully ramped so the extra days off provides more rest.

I kind of like how the minors do it though - just off every Monday, and play the other 6 days, no questions asked.  That would allow for a lot of weeks w/ two 3-game series, and a few w/ a 2-gamer and a 3-gamer.  No idea if it would work fully to get in the 162, since the minors play less games, but it lead to a built in rest day for every team, every week, all at the same time - no games w/ a fully rested team vs a team that just had 2 out of 4 days off and all that.

Obviously the players make big money; but its streaks like the one detailed in the OP where they really earn it.  That's a major grind.

27 weeks × 6 days is 162.  So it's doable in theory but the existence of 2 and 4 game series makes it challenging in practice.

As long as you have the right amount each of 2 and 4 series, you’re still good.  Two and four is the same as 3 and 3. 

Wont happen anyway but I would love it if it did. 

Weird but as @eddie83 mentioned, the two off days is just an odd consequence of the 2x2 structure of facing your assigned interleague rival. Looking at some other teams' schedules, the Mets have a similar situation later this year around two Yankees games, the Giants have a similar situation around two Athletics games, etc. Some teams have an oddity the O's don't which is a Sunday off-day after a Fri/Sat two game series with their regional rival. 

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Things are about to get rough.

Looks a lot less tough than it did before the season started. Only 4 of those series are against a team above .500.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m unhappy about Acuña’s injury, but not disappointed to miss him. 

I always feel for guys that have these serious injuries. I went through 2 ACL tears as a wannabe athlete. I can't imagine what they go through to get back to what they were.