Baumann DFA

ChipTait

• 5 weeks later...

I was there in 2019 when Baumann pitched his no-hitter for Bowie, and I was sure he'd have a solid ML career. But I've been thoroughly disappointed since he's made the Majors. Hate to see him go, but it was the right move.

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Update: Baumann has given up HRs in 3 of his last 5 outings for Seattle. 5.40 ERA 6.14 FIP for them. Meanwhile, Tate/Baker/Vespi have pitched well as optionable arms. Moving on from Baumann was the right move for bullpen quality and flexibility.

No surprise.  He was awful.  Still baffled folks wanted to try and hold on to him.  

10 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Update: Baumann has given up HRs in 3 of his last 5 outings for Seattle. 5.40 ERA 6.14 FIP for them. Meanwhile, Tate/Baker/Vespi have pitched well as optionable arms. Moving on from Baumann was the right move for bullpen quality and flexibility.

It still won't stop some folks from bringing it up whenever a reliever gives up a run.

1.  The debate all offseason is which out of options reliever would stick out of Webb and Baumann. They both did, but ultimately Webb won out. Options matter. 

2. Someone with no options had to go. So it was either Baumann or Akin. Nobody wanted to see Akin go at the time. Akin is LH and has an option. Tiebreakers. 

3. We got back a catcher that isn’t exactly chopped liver. Catching depth was arguably our thinnest position in the minors at the time and catching depth is thin generally. 

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Baumann is guy with a good arm who can flash plus stuff, but has never been able to find consistency. He was DFA'd because he was out of options and the team needs flexibility with that last reliever spot.

The Orioles have found Perez and basically Coulombe because of the same situation. 

Saying that, the system is fair to the player because it gives them an opportunity to pitch in the big league vice having to be a spare part in AAA. 

Now that the Orioles are good, they are going to start losing players like Baumann. Next year, Akin could be the next Baumann who will have to be DFA'd because he's out of option and is a bit similar to Baumann in quality and reliability, though I'd give Akin a little bit better grade.

When Baumann was DFA'd, I said that I would not be surprised if hes not DFA'd again. I also would not be surprised if he doesn't pitch well for awhile. He's going to probably have a nice long career as that 6th inning, mop up guy on teams. 

But that's ok, because there are a lot of Baumann's in AAA ready to come up and do similar stuff. I mean, look at what Baker has been doing since coming back? Can he keep it up? Eh, we've seen good Baker and and bad Baker so who knows?

In the end, the Baumann's of the world are basically replacement level relievers. You lose some, you find some, and occasionally they figure it out in a new place and fulfill their ceilings. 

Exactly basically got his shot at the MLB level because one he was good enough and 2 the options and to a certain extent what we were 3, 4 years ago. We are better than Baumann  now.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Baumann is guy with a good arm who can flash plus stuff, but has never been able to find consistency. He was DFA'd because he was out of options and the team needs flexibility with that last reliever spot.

The Orioles have found Perez and basically Coulombe because of the same situation. 

Saying that, the system is fair to the player because it gives them an opportunity to pitch in the big league vice having to be a spare part in AAA. 

Now that the Orioles are good, they are going to start losing players like Baumann. Next year, Akin could be the next Baumann who will have to be DFA'd because he's out of option and is a bit similar to Baumann in quality and reliability, though I'd give Akin a little bit better grade.

When Baumann was DFA'd, I said that I would not be surprised if hes not DFA'd again. I also would not be surprised if he doesn't pitch well for awhile. He's going to probably have a nice long career as that 6th inning, mop up guy on teams. 

But that's ok, because there are a lot of Baumann's in AAA ready to come up and do similar stuff. I mean, look at what Baker has been doing since coming back? Can he keep it up? Eh, we've seen good Baker and and bad Baker so who knows?

In the end, the Baumann's of the world are basically replacement level relievers. You lose some, you find some, and occasionally they figure it out in a new place and fulfill their ceilings. 

The Orioles have managed to not option Akin this season and have held onto his last option. With Coulombe being injured at least until September, Akin should make it through this year without needing to be optioned, meaning he’ll have it next year. I also think Akin is a better reliever than DFA-level, but hopefully the point is moot next year at least.

The obvious out of options DFA candidates next year are Vespi and Baker. They’re both solid arms, but without options that really hurts their value. 

IMO the really interesting case is Tate. He will still have an option next year, but he came into this season with 4 years and 48 days of service time. He spent some time in the minors earlier this year, but not enough to keep him from getting to 5 years if he spends the rest of this year at the MLB level. If that happens, he won’t be able to be optioned without agreeing to it next year, even though he’ll still have his last option.

Tate’s pitching well now and his stuff looks back, so it will be interesting to see if he sticks on the MLB roster the rest of the season or gets a minors stint. There’s been enough injuries and optionable arms at the MLB level that there’s unlikely to be a numbers game to force him back down unless they acquire multiple guys at the deadline (which they might). But I could see them at some point giving Baker/Vespi run at the MLB level and optioning Tate instead because (a) they need to evaluate those guys for whether to keep them on the 40 this offseason and (b) it will keep Tate optionable next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Vespi will be in a similar boat to what Baumann was when we have to option him.  I believe the next time we option him, we have to DFA him, because he's been optioned the max number of times this year.  If it's not the next option of him, then it will definitely be the one after that.  I like Vespi, but as Tony pointed out, we're in a position that we're going to start losing players to the option game.