The 2024 Trade Deadline

33 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

IMHO Crochet for Basallo would be a bad trade for us, and that writer should do a better job of understanding the circumstances involved in such an idea.  Crochet is a special talent with two and a half years of control remaining.  He is in the midst of his first full season as a starter and will likely run into an innings limit issue later this season.  I'd LOVE to add him, but not at the cost of six years of control of one of baseball's top overall prospects.  The O's are highly unlikely to deal Basallo, but if we did, it would be for a less risky star player.

I hear ya … Basallo also has risks. All of these guys aren’t going to pan out for us either. I’m not saying make the deal. 

I would think this would be dumb for the White Sox. The Orioles succeeded in the Bedard trade by getting 3 ML contributors. White Sox need to get way more athletic everywhere. They were stuck on the idea of players like Eloy, Vaughn, and Sheets for far too long. 

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Please tell me we'd have no interest in him, even at the MLB minimum. 

Burp!  Nothing like eating $32 mm to be rid of continue.  Talk about a precipitous decline!   I seem to remember some here (maybe even me?) having some interest in him during the 2022-23 offseason.  

50 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I hear ya … Basallo also has risks. All of these guys aren’t going to pan out for us either. I’m not saying make the deal. 

I wouldn't trade Hollidy, Mayo, or Basallo for Crochet, but would definitely try to come up with a package around Kjerstad.  There is no doubt that Crochet is one of the top 10 arms in mlb, IMO, and  trading him is just a WS kind of thing to do.  Crochet could be that dominant arm out of the pen the O's need this year, and next year, the O's big 3 would be Bradish, Crochet and Gray Rod. 

Maybe something like Kjerstad, Povich, some prospect in 20-25 range.  Crochet has probably been the best starter in the majors since some bad starts in early April.  ERA in low 1's since then. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Burp!  Nothing like eating $32 mm to be rid of continue.  Talk about a precipitous decline!   I seem to remember some here (maybe even me?) having some interest in him during the 2022-23 offseason.  

This is why I’m against those 10 year Machado and 12 year Harper contracts .  Amazing how Abreu couldn’t even last just three years smh 

Just now, Allan Bryant said:

This is why I’m against those 10 year Machado and 12 year Harper contracts .  Amazing how Abreu couldn’t even last just three years smh 

I think the initial Machado contract was fine.

When players sign those big deals and opt out...teams need to let them walk.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the initial Machado contract was fine.

When players sign those big deals and opt out...teams need to let them walk.

I have to admit Machado deal working out so far . But still, huge risk . 
Speaking of Opt-outs , if player exercise it , they should just apply Qualified Offer on him . 

1 hour ago, Allan Bryant said:

I have to admit Machado deal working out so far . But still, huge risk . 
Speaking of Opt-outs , if player exercise it , they should just apply Qualified Offer on him . 

I don't like the current deal at all.

It's not looking good.

As I said, they should have stopped while they were ahead.

If they had let him walk it would have been a great deal (aside from the lack of great team success of course).

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

This seems to be happening quite frequently around the league. Which makes me rethink the idea of giving players early extensions in their young careers. Baseball is a difficult game and no season in a player's career is exactly like another.  Baseball is a volatile game. There's so many things that can happen to a player's habits and mechanics that can change his results in the game. (Speaking of no season being the same, how many batting stances did we see Cal Ripken Jr go through over the course of his career? ALOT.)

Whatever the results of Bradish's tests are, the importance of acquiring a starter has ticked up.  Most pitchers are risks, but we need to get one, and hopefully for multiple years of control.  Again, even if Bradish just needs to rest a couple of weeks, the issue could come back at any time.  

Among the starters that may be available are:
LHP: Luzardo, Crochet, JP Sears, Tyler Anderson, and Patrick Sandoval
RHP: Severino, Fedde, and Flaherty