The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want Crochet

Id move Kjerstad, Bradfield, Hays/Mullins (for roster/salary purposes) and a Max Wagner type guy for Robert.

That trade wouldn't bother me, but personally I would rather spend those kind of resources on pitching if it's right now.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

They are under .500 with four teams ahead of them in the WC. Fangraphs gives them 20% chance of making the playoffs (admittedly, I was expecting to see lower). Is that enough to make them buyers?

They’re 1 game out of a WC spot.  20% could go up to 50% within a week.

Just now, 24fps said:

That trade wouldn't bother me, but personally I would rather spend those kind of resources on pitching if it's right now.

We can still get pitching.

(I would also look at getting Kopech in this deal)

Just now, 24fps said:

I think the focus is going to be on relief pitching.   I don't think any of the guys SG listed would be needed for the types of relievers the O's will be going after.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I agree that Crochet is high risk and will cost a lot.   That’s why Elias won’t pay the price.  But, he’s high reward too and I was originally responding to “Why would we/anyone want Crochet?”.

There is a lot to like and I can't see why nobody would want him but for the possibility that he won't help the team much in October 2024, the cost would probably be an absurd ask.

Robert would be a significant upgrade over Mullins (offensively). Not sure how much of a difference the two have defensively. But as much as I like Mullins, he has been really bad with the bat in his hand for about a season now. Second half of last season and most of the first half of this season.

Obviously the issue with Robert is his health/availability, so there would be risk there. But I wouldn't mind if Elias took a swing there, as long as this wouldn't be his only move. I would like to see Elias act bold and decisively this go round (at the deadline).

I heard that the CHI SOX wanted a "Soto like" package (that the Nats got for trading him to the Pads) back for Robert. We know that they have a recent history of over asking on players they are in theory willing to trade.

Anybody have a guess on what the realistic costs for Robert would be?

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Pillar is having a hell of a (outlier) year. On the one hand, he'd probably be a good add. On the other hand, it would kind of remind me of the Parra trade. 

Edited by interloper

53 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Rodon has had two bad/blow up starts (one against us and one on Sat night against the Red Sox) in his last ELEVEN. 9 of those 11 starts were quality starts. Of those 9 quality starts, he actually (himself) not the team, won 8 of those games.

I know it's 2024 and pitcher wins are discounted. But that is still uber impressive to me. To have 9 out of 11 games be quality starts is ace like IMO.

So yes I would rather have the guy with 9 out of 11 quality starts as opposed to the guy with ZERO, the guy with FOUR, and the guy (who albeit was hurt for some of that time) has THREE.

Rodon has more quality starts in that stretch than all 3 COMBINED. Of course, I know the counter argument could be that he has just been lucky and his peripherals aren't as good as he has pitched. For me, I would love for our guys to get that "lucky" consistently.

Man, he went on a stretch of 8 CG's where he didn't allow a ball in play so the defense had to do nothing but watch him strike out the side? Why isn't this national news? It's remarkable and probably never been done in the game's history that a pitcher, not his team won 8 games all by himself.

Oh, how many hits and RBI's did he have in getting those wins, seeing as the rest of the team contributed nothing? Still can't believe this isn't getting more national coverage, I'm taking to twitter in protest.

Edited by Malike

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Man, he went on a stretch of 8 CG's where he didn't allow a ball in play so the defense had to do nothing but watch him strike out the side? Why isn't this national news? It's remarkable and probably never been done in the game's history that a pitcher, not his team won 8 games all by himself.

What I meant was he was the pitcher credited with the win. Not that he was the only player on the field that contributed to the win. Apologies for the poor word choice.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

What I meant was he was the pitcher credited with the win. Not that he was the only player on the field that contributed to the win. Apologies for the poor word choice.

That makes more sense then, thanks.

57 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Rodon has had two bad/blow up starts (one against us and one on Sat night against the Red Sox) in his last ELEVEN. 9 of those 11 starts were quality starts. Of those 9 quality starts, he actually (himself) not the team, won 8 of those games.

I know it's 2024 and pitcher wins are discounted. But that is still uber impressive to me. To have 9 out of 11 games be quality starts is ace like IMO.

So yes I would rather have the guy with 9 out of 11 quality starts as opposed to the guy with ZERO, the guy with FOUR, and the guy (who albeit was hurt for some of that time) has THREE.

Rodon has more quality starts in that stretch than all 3 COMBINED. Of course, I know the counter argument could be that he has just been lucky and his peripherals aren't as good as he has pitched. For me, I would love for our guys to get that "lucky" consistently.

Choose one. 

IMG_3404.png

IMG_3403.png

Edited by emmett16

13 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Robert would be a significant upgrade over Mullins (offensively). Not sure how much of a difference the two have defensively. But as much as I like Mullins, he has been really bad with the bat in his hand for about a season now. Second half of last season and most of the first half of this season.

Obviously the issue with Robert is his health/availability, so there would be risk there. But I wouldn't mind if Elias took a swing there, as long as this wouldn't be his only move. I would like to see Elias act bold and decisively this go round (at the deadline).

I heard that the CHI SOX wanted a "Soto like" package (that the Nats got for trading him to the Pads) back for Robert. We know that they have a recent history of over asking on players they are in theory willing to trade.

Anybody have a guess on what the realistic costs for Robert would be?

It still seems a bit weird to me to complain about Mullins this season (well below anything he's done as of late) and pine for a guy who's currently hitting .186 with a .260 OBP and .322 wOBA. Of course, Mullins is hitting .189 with a .240 OBP and .249 wOBA (with power being the difference). Both rWAR and fWAR have them as similarly valuable players this season based on Mullins's superior defense.

Given that Mullins was the superior player in total from 2021 - 2023 (factoring in availability component of WAR counting stats), it seems silly to "dump" Mullins and throw in a bunch of premium prospects to bring in Robert.

Edited by BohKnowsBmore