The 2024 Trade Deadline

31 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

It’s in the realm of possibility that he becomes the Os first example of an extension pre or right after call up. That theoretically could be as early as next year, or two years at most. That doesn’t close the door on the others. 

In 2 years there is almost ZERO chance that Boras does an extension with Gunnar. In all reality, it might be too late now. And then why in the world would Adley do an extension that close to FA? 

I think we all know Kjerstad and Norby are the guys being sent. Everyone wants Mayo or Basallo but there's no reason for us to do that unless we are getting a perennial all star under 2 1/2 or more years of control.

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Then I’m not sure what you are talking about.

This is #35’s third season and second all-star apparently. He has also won a silver slugger.

This is #2’s second season and he will be an all-star and possible MVP. Along with the fact that he has won a silver slugger. AND he has Boras for an agent.

So it seems to me that it’s probably about now or never for extending both. Rutschman will be in his FOURTH season next year. 

Basallo is in AA. How in the world do those timelines work to you? Where you extend Basallo first and then are able to come back and the do Henderson and Rutchsman (the much more accomplished players who have led you to the playoffs). I’m confused..

Because Basallo, maybe is more willing to sign a contract before he's established?

People can buy #33 jerseys or whatever number Basallo is going to wear.  Harper left Washington.  Soto turned down a huge offer.  Be prepared for your disaster scenario. 

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

In 2 years there is almost ZERO chance that Boras does an extension with Gunnar. In all reality, it might be too late now. And then why in the world would Adley do an extension that close to FA? 

I think it’s highly likely that Gunnar tests FA first of all. Maybe Adley accepts a deal and that would make Basallo second. That wasn’t even the main part if my post.

Regardless of timing, my main point was that I think Basallo is not going to be traded, and I think there are more than just directly on the field reasons. 

2 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

I really think they have their eyes on Basallo as not only an huge impact player for the team, but also as the face of the new Latin program for many years moving forward.  As in using him as a recruitment tool, a shining example of what signing with the Os can mean, etc. Latin America was an early stated goal and I think ME sees it as the absolute key to longer term success. And I think he sees Basallo as the face of that end of the operation for the next 15 years or more. 

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Basallo was the first player meaningfully extended. 

It would surprise me, he's not even in the majors and we're not sure he can play MLB catcher.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

It would surprise me, he's not even in the majors and we're not sure he can play MLB catcher.

Let's be honest, this is baseball we aren't even sure he can hit.

He probably can, I think he can, but you never really know until it's time.

The obvious worst case scenario is Jesus Montero, had an 870 OPS in AAA at 20 (123 games).

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Because Basallo, maybe is more willing to sign a contract before he's established?

People can buy #33 jerseys or whatever number Basallo is going to wear.  Harper left Washington.  Soto turned down a huge offer.  Be prepared for your disaster scenario. 

I’m hoping Rubenstein and Elias are a bit smarter than the Nats brass. We have all witnessed what those decisions have done to that franchise.

I’m not sure how many games you attend. But allowing cornerstone players/faces of your franchise to walk out the door is going to be very bad for business. 

I understand that some people/posters/fans are opposed to the org spending serious money (for whatever reason). But I have seen like I’m sure most have, the resurgence of the brand in the last two years. And I don’t want that to fall off so quickly like it did with the Nats, when they decided to go cheap and also pay the wrong guys.

I’m not just an Oriole fan but I am a native of the city and still resident of the metro area. I pay attention to stuff like this weekend when 150,000 people were in the city and spending money. That is good for the city’s economy which I care about. So, yes it matters to me about the brand being strong, the fanbase growing, and the team being relevant in the market.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Let's be honest, this is baseball we aren't even sure he can hit.

He probably can, I think he can, but you never really know until it's time.

The obvious worst case scenario is Jesus Montero, had an 870 OPS in AAA at 20 (123 games).

I forget was Montero signed to a long term deal?  I know Rusney Castillo was signed to a $72 million deal and Boston kept him in minors for years (was it to avoid roster bonuses?)

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I forget was Montero signed to a long term deal?  I know Rusney Castillo was signed to a $72 million deal and Boston kept him in minors for years (was it to avoid roster bonuses?)

He wasn't.   He was traded to Seattle and had fewer than 1000 PA in the majors.

I think the Castillo thing was a salary cap issue, while he was in the minors he didn't count against the cap.  I could be wrong tho.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m hoping Rubenstein and Elias are a bit smarter than the Nats brass. We have all witnessed what those decisions have done to that franchise.

I’m not sure how many games you attend. But allowing cornerstone players/faces of your franchise to walk out the door is going to be very bad for business. 

I understand that some people/posters/fans are opposed to the org spending serious money (for whatever reason). But I have seen like I’m sure most have, the resurgence of the brand in the last two years. And I don’t want that to fall off so quickly like it did with the Nats, when they decided to go cheap and also pay the wrong guys.

I’m not just an Oriole fan but I am a native of the city and still resident of the metro area. I pay attention to stuff like this weekend when 150,000 people were in the city and spending money. That is good for the city’s economy which I care about. So, yes it matters to me about the brand being strong, the fanbase growing, and the team being relevant in the market.

I'm all for signing Gunnar, more than anyone else, to an extension.  That would be great.   

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I am not defending the Nats but they offered Soto a very rich contract and he turned them down.  Harper was always going to the highest bidder.  I don’t see how you can fault them for being cheap.  Gunnar can decide to do what Harper did and that would be his right.  As long as they make a competitive offer to Gunnar or anyone of these other players that is all we can ask.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm all for signing Gunnar, more than anyone else, to an extension.  That would be great.   

I’m also all in for Gunnar . He sold me . And yes it would be great.  I only see one little problem, the name of the problem is……Boras 

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I am not defending the Nats but they offered Soto a very rich contract and he turned them down.  Harper was always going to the highest bidder.  I don’t see how you can fault them for being cheap.  Gunnar can decide to do what Harper did and that would be his right.  As long as they make a competitive offer to Gunnar or anyone of these other players that is all we can ask.  

That Nats did what they did. I don’t fault them because I don’t care about them. But I can see what those decisions have done to their fan base’s engagement/interest in the team.

I absolutely do not want that for the O’s.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That Nats did what they did. I don’t fault them because I don’t care about them. But I can see what those decisions have done to their fan base’s engagement/interest in the team.

Neither do I but you can only control what you can control.  I fully expect Rubenstein to spend money.  Not Yankees/Dodger money but somewhere in the middle of baseball franchises would be fine with me.  He just doesn’t seem to be in this just to bleed as much money as he can.  He doesn’t need to do that.  

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Did the decisions do it to the team or the losing?

They guessed wrong and paid the pitchers.

They could have guessed wrong and paid Rendon.

In hindsight you can say well they should have signed player A and B those fools signed C and D instead.

It isn't as if they let everyone walk. 

They couldn't keep everyone.