The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Scherzer still looks like a guy who would be a nice add to our rotation in the second half if the Rangers are sellers. 

He makes $43 million this year. The Mets are paying $21 million of that. I don’t think we pick up the remaining $10+ post deadline for 10-12 starts. It would just depend on what Texas would ask for to pick up the tab. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He makes $43 million this year. The Mets are paying $21 million of that. I don’t think we pick up the remaining $10+ post deadline for 10-12 starts. It would just depend on what Texas would ask for to pick up the tab. 

You said it, it depends on the prospects to Texas to complete the trade (if Texas sells).  This should be the type of pitcher Elias pursues.  Hall of Fame pitcher who is still effective.  Given that he is a free agent after the season and will cost $10 to $12 million for the remainder of the season, they should not have to give up any of the big 4 propsects.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe I heard O’Dowd say on MLB TV that some teams think McDermott could be a mid rotation SP.

If that’s the case, then McDermott should be able to buy us any rental out there. Kikuchi, Severino, Scherzer as SP. 

why would you deal him for a rental. Then we need to do double when the offseason arrives. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think the opposite. This team isn’t owned by Angelos anymore and it also isn’t up against the luxury tax like some of the other contenders. A rental who cost more money and less prospects sounds like the perfect fit. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

why would you deal him for a rental. Then we need to do double when the offseason arrives. 

Just pointing out that we have ammo outside of the big 3 to make any rental deal we want.

Let’s look at our competition for potential trade pieces. The Yankees can offer Hampton. The Dodgers can offer Miller/Hurt. McDermott compares favorably to them. 

I’m not saying we just will nilly toss him in deals. I’d do McDermott for Scherzer if they had to. We didn’t do Hunter Harvey for Lester in 2014. 

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I think the opposite. This team isn’t owned by Angelos anymore and it also isn’t up against the luxury tax like some of the other contenders. A rental who cost more money and less prospects sounds like the perfect fit. 

Theres a big difference between handing out t shirts then handing out $12 million for 10-12 regular season starts. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Theres a big difference between handing out t shirts then handing out $12 million for 10-12 regular season starts. 

Maybe I am off base but I feel like if this ownership group took over earlier in the offseason they would have added more payroll. I really don’t think they flinch if Elias says I got a pitcher who I think makes the difference on our World Series chances and I need 12M. I really don’t. Attendance is up, a deep playoff run would also bring in more cash. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I also don’t think Elias cares about those second half starts. You acquire a Scherzer to give you big time starts in the post season. 

• Upvote 1

From  Cots Contracts.

at the time of the trade, Scherzer was due $58,010,753 ($14,677,419 for remainder of 2023, $43,333,334 for 2024)

Mets to pay $4,677,419 in 2023 and $30,833,334 in 2024

Rangers to pay $10M in 2023 and $12.5M in 2024.

So at the deadline he has about 4.2M left on this contract.

Edited by wildcard

37 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Maybe I am off base but I feel like if this ownership group took over earlier in the offseason they would have added more payroll. I really don’t think they flinch if Elias says I got a pitcher who I think makes the difference on our World Series chances and I need 12M. I really don’t. Attendance is up, a deep playoff run would also bring in more cash. 

You’re allowed to have that opinion, but in this instance I wanna see some checks handed out from Rubenstein. The t shirts is a good gesture and a good PR move. Let’s see him spend some of our profits for a WS. 

I also agree that Scherzer is a big move for the postseason, but it’s only those 10-12 regular season starts. Which are all huge btw. 

• Upvote 1