The 2024 Trade Deadline

52 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Oh well, that’s their business .  But I can say I don’t blame the fans in Tampa for their poor attendance 

The Rays have pretty much always had poor attendance despite the great job that team has done to overcome their financial disparity.  They seem to be a bottom 5 attendance franchise year after year.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

Holliday is also 20years old.  When I hear people criticize his defense it seems like nobody is taking that into account.  If I remember correctly Westburg was considered average to slightly below average defender when he was coming up through the minors.  He was several years older than Holliday at the time, yet everyone seems pretty content with his play in the field.

I'm not saying Holliday is going to be a future gold glove winner, but he is far from being a finished product.

Well if he's not a finished product defensively, it doesn't make sense to sacrifice defense to such a degree when Holliday moving to the outfield makes the Orioles a better team on both sides of the ball until Holliday IS a finished product, whenever that may be. 

Center field is a far more premium position than 2B. Holliday should want to make that move, not only because the organization has a more pressing need for depth in CF and the team would win more games with Holliday at CF and Westburg at 2B/3B, but also because it increases his own value as a player for his first big contract in free agency. 

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m hoping we can get guys like this if we offload Hays and Urias. (Assuming we can’t get ML ready help)

A spot on take.  I see more of a path to a role with Hays than I see with Urias.  Urias' playoff role is just a defenisve sub if we pinch hit for Mateo.  Hays' playoff role would be to start in LF vs LHP.  Hays has an .869 OPS vs. LHP this year.  That's valuable and valuable for the playoffs.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Think I saw that barrios was the brewers 21st ranked prospect or something. If we could’ve gotten a year and a half of civale for someone like Liranzo or Sosa, that would’ve been extremely tempting. 

No way..we shouldn’t even consider that.

Benscome?  Sure, as a pure trade but do we want Civale giving us important innings the rest of this year?  I sure don’t.

I really want to trade Kjersted before the deadline while he's still a hot/warm prospect. I think he'll be good, but not some athletic 5 tool stud we'll regret trading.  And if we can get a big pitching return for Holliday or Basallo, trade them now or in the off season.  I'm guessing Mayo is our 3rd baseman of the future, and Westberg isn't going anywhere.  Bold moves, but whatever.  

30 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

The Rays have pretty much always had poor attendance despite the great job that team has done to overcome their financial disparity.  They seem to be a bottom 5 attendance franchise year after year.

Yes , that’s the odd thing about the Rays . Their front office is very savvy and their team is competitive and above . 500 records.  Like you said, not enough to overcome poor attendance 

Considering what we saw of them offensively, who says no first?

O's get Kirby and a low level prospect

Seattle gets Mountcastle, Kjerstad, McDermott, Norby, Urias, Hays, and some Cash to offset cost of Hays/Urias?

Not sure Mariners bite w/o a Westburg or Cowser in the deal, but I feel they need MLB ready offense. Hoping Hays or Urias can return to form with steady playing time, but if not, the cash offsets it if they want to cut them later.

I'm excited to watch their other arms this series too. If Kirby is their highest regarded arm, then they probably won't move him, but if one of their other arms looks appealing, I think Elias may try to swing a deal while he's in town.  I feel the O's and Mariners match up well

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No way..we shouldn’t even consider that.

Benscome?  Sure, as a pure trade but do we want Civale giving us important innings the rest of this year?  I sure don’t.

Civale had a sub 4 era in 2022 and 2023, with a similar fip to suggest it wasn’t just luck. If you think that’s who he is rather than this 2024 version, then a lottery ticket international player in a ball seems like a worth while price to see if you can get him back to prior year form. Sure, bencosme or however you spell it would be fine too, but for a guy who has a legitimate chance to help us down the stretch for a guy who may have a 30% chance of ever making the majors?

Right now we’re relying on Irvin to rebound, Suarez to hold up, and kremer to be the back end of our rotation. Not sure how cobble is somehow a downgrade on them giving us important innings. Again, for the price, that’s an upside trade I’d make all day. 

Just now, ScGO's said:

Seattle gets Mountcastle, Kjerstad, McDermott, Norby, Urias, Hays, and some Cash to offset cost of Hays/Urias?

Not sure Mariners bite w/o a Westburg or Cowser in the deal, but I feel they need MLB ready offense. Hoping Hays or Urias can return to form with steady playing time, but if not, the cash offsets it if they want to cut them later.

I'm excited to watch their other arms this series too. If Kirby is their highest regarded arm, then they probably won't move him, but if one of their other arms looks appealing, I think Elias may try to swing a deal while he's in town.  I feel the O's and Mariners match up well

No way Seattle gives up on Kirby for anything shy of someone like Gunnar or adley. He’s an all star caliber starter with multiple years of cheap control. This offer wouldn’t even come close. Especially since they are a playoff caliber team trying to improve now and not build for the future. 

2 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

That's way too many major league players for us to give up. We still need to field a major league team this year.