The 2024 Trade Deadline

Elias is not reporting he had a call on Crochet for sure. Makes me worry that someone like Cal could be leaking that information. I know I will get killed on that but last year we didn’t hear any rumors on who the Orioles were going after. Flaherty thing all happened last minute and Fuji was out of nowhere.

Hey maybe it came from the White Sox. Who knows.

All of this talk is just talk. 

And the talk by some posters saying we should be able to get top line starters or relievers without giving up top prospects like JH, B, Heston, or Mayo?

Just talk that has no basis in merit. 

The bottom line is without another top 3 starter and at least a really good middle reliever?   The Os chances of winning the WS this year are greatly diminished.  Which is a shame because if they had Bradish, Means, and FB all healthy?

IMO they would be the overwhelming favorites to win it all this year and next year.

So imo you trade someone like a Holliday/middle prospects for a Crochet and a decent middle reliever or for a Miller and a solid starter.

And you hope that Felix is able to come back end of this year and/or Kimbrel can reclaim some magic. 

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

This is regarding Quantrill He's not that #3 we need, but a solid #4/5:

I have mentioned Eovaldi before as a #3 option.  FA after the season, so the cost will be less for the rental than other options.  He was HUGE for the Rangers last season.

Eovaldi has always been huge against us too, even before last season. So yes, I'd like to see Eovaldi on the O's.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Elias is not reporting he had a call on Crochet for sure. Makes me worry that someone like Cal could be leaking that information. I know I will get killed on that but last year we didn’t hear any rumors on who the Orioles were going after. Flaherty thing all happened last minute and Fuji was out of nowhere.

Hey maybe it came from the White Sox. Who knows.

I think it came from the White Sox.

1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I think it came from the White Sox.

Well, on the one hand you’ve got the notion that Cal (or some other member of new ownership) is either intentionally or recklessly leaking internal processes, likely to the detriment of the team.

OR…

You’ve got the notion that the White Sox are invested in trying to drive up the price for Crochet and are planting the seed that the biggest prospect/young player stash in the league is firmly in the mix.

I think you’ve got the right idea on this one!

I know everyone quickly wants to toss aside Irvin and his 1.5 seasons of control but factor in this…

Civale has 1.5 seasons of control left too. He was trade last deadline for the Rays #4 prospect and Cleveland DH/1B Kyle Manzardo. This year Civale was traded for Berrios that ranks #19 currently in the Rays system post trade. 

Irvin’s 4.26 ERA over 23/24 in the AL East is much better than Civale’s 5.17 ERA for TB in 23/24. Same amount of control left. Irvin is a lefty. 

So Irvin isn’t exactly valueless. He might be our 3rd lefty and spot starter the rest of the way, but maybe he’s a rotation guy next year or an offseason trade piece. 

Long story short… we may be able to recycle Irvin for a top 30 prospect in the offseason to a middling team looking to fill out their rotation. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know everyone quickly wants to toss aside Irvin and his 1.5 seasons of control but factor in this…

Civale has 1.5 seasons of control left too. He was trade last deadline for the Rays #4 prospect and Cleveland DH/1B Kyle Manzardo. This year Civale was traded for Berrios that ranks #19 currently in the Rays system post trade. 

Irvin’s 4.26 ERA over 23/24 in the AL East is much better than Civale’s 5.17 ERA for TB in 23/24. Same amount of control left. Irvin is a lefty. 

So Irvin isn’t exactly valueless. He might be our 3rd lefty and spot starter the rest of the way, but maybe he’s a rotation guy next year or an offseason trade piece. 

Long story short… we may be able to recycle Irvin for a top 30 prospect in the offseason to a middling team looking to fill out their rotation. 

I don't hate Irvin. I just think he is the Ryan Mountcastle of our Pitching Staff; he's very streaky. He can go 3 or 4 starts and look like John Means, then he'll give you 3 or 4 Bruce Zimmerman starts, go to the bullpen and give you good TJ McFarland Innings, than get moved back to the rotation to try and catch that inner John Means again.

This is who he is; he is the perfect last roster spot for us bc of his versatility, experience, and he's LH

• Upvote 1