The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 minute ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm ready for Cowser to be the every day CF.  Despite his lack of hitting (yes, I know the peripherals show he's been "unlucky"), he needs to be out there every day.

I love Ced and what he's done here, but I think he's done.

Cowser's defense alone is enough to put him out there every night. His offense, for all of it's warts, is no worse than Mullins'. 

If Mullins has any value, make some room.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I'm ready for Cowser to be the every day CF.  Despite his lack of hitting (yes, I know the peripherals show he's been "unlucky"), he needs to be out there every day.

Agreed.  It also make the lineup construction easier going forward platooning Hayes and Kjerstad in LF with Kjerstad also getting some time in RF and DH allowing him to become an everyday player for the second half.  It also makes the callup of Mayo easier to replace Mullins on the roster.

I think my biggest knock on those deals is they would result in almost every CF we have in the org getting traded, except for Cowser and a potential Holliday move to CF. Or Mateo idk. Just leaves us pretty thin at a very important position. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, CTBear said:

I think my biggest knock on those deals is they would result in almost every CF we have in the org getting traded, except for Cowser and a potential Holliday move to CF. Or Mateo idk. Just leaves us pretty thin at a very important position. 

It's a fair point...

46 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I have severe concerns about both of them. Cowser had a chance to seize a full time role and failed. I think we have to keep both of them until one hits consistently. 

14 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Robert reminds me of Harold Baines, he’s great on the field, but each game you don’t know if he’s available or not 

Robert would be a guy I'd love to have if he was more reliable.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

Really detailed and researched article from Finkelstein on the O’s trade deadline outlook. A great alternative to all the sameness from everything else out there 

not sure how realistic that Mason Miller return is, but I heard him discussing this on a podcast and using Miller as a fireman role 7th or 8th inning guy like Andrew Miller was for the Indians in 2016. Sign me up!

also trading Mullins is an interesting thought experiment

https://www.justbaseball.com/mlb/3-trades-that-would-put-the-orioles-over-the-top-to-win-it-all/

• Cedric Mullins to St. Louis for AA RHP Tekoah Roby
  • OF Jud Fabian and RHP Juan Nunez to Toronto for RHP Chris Bassitt
  • LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers, IF Connor Norby, and RHP Tekoah Roby to Oakland for RHP Mason Miller

So, in the end...:
Orioles Trade: OF Cedric Mullins, OF Jud Fabian, RHP Juan Nuñez, LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers and IF Connor Norby 
Orioles Receive: RHP Mason Miller, RHP Chris Bassitt

IMHO this is interesting, though I feel Miller would command a better return than what Finkelstein put together (LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers, IF Connor Norby, and RHP Tekoah Roby). With that said, I imagine many here at the Hangout would be opposed to a straight swap of Kjerstad for Mason Miller, much less a Kjerstad+ package.

1 hour ago, CTBear said:

I agree. I'm not comfortable giving away Bradfield, Beavers, AND Fabian. I think you need to keep either Bradfield or Beavers.

• Upvote 1

HOU was the standout 1B team as Jay Jaffe begins his traditional Replacement Level Killers by position in advance of the deadline.

Elias in Mountcastle-O'Hearn-Mayo controls perhaps MLB's most powerful 1B stack, but the terms of the deal would have to be Even-Even between contenders.

Bryan Abreu is a fun 1:1 challenge deal for Mountcastle or O'Hearn, though of course Dana Brown would prefer not to subtract from the MLB roster.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2024-replacement-level-killers-introduction-first-base/

Fair chance we could see Abreu against Mountcastle or O'Hearn sometime in the 2020's playoffs.

A fresh ZiPS as of today on the Rangers has Szymborski recommending they sell, but I think it underweighs the human factor of Corey Seager not wanting to fold to Alex Bregman, and the Mariners not being able to blow out even a division of not that great teams.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/retooling-shouldnt-be-a-dirty-word-for-the-texas-rangers/

If they do sell, Szymborski lists out SEVEN battle tested playoff pitchers on expiring contracts.

The Rangers and Astros have their own big series in the Western division this weekend.     Roster Resource is already projecting Burnes v. Scherzer opening up the 2nd half next Friday night.

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:
  • Cedric Mullins to St. Louis for AA RHP Tekoah Roby
  • OF Jud Fabian and RHP Juan Nunez to Toronto for RHP Chris Bassitt
  • LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers, IF Connor Norby, and RHP Tekoah Roby to Oakland for RHP Mason Miller

So, in the end...:
Orioles Trade: OF Cedric Mullins, OF Jud Fabian, RHP Juan Nuñez, LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers and IF Connor Norby 
Orioles Receive: RHP Mason Miller, RHP Chris Bassitt

IMHO this is interesting, though I feel Miller would command a better return than what Finkelstein put together (LHP Cade Povich, OF Enrique Bradfield Jr, OF Dylan Beavers, IF Connor Norby, and RHP Tekoah Roby). With that said, I imagine many here at the Hangout would be opposed to a straight swap of Kjerstad for Mason Miller, much less a Kjerstad+ package.

This would be robbery by the A's. 

Giving up #5 Prospect (Tekoah Roby), #8 (Povich), #4 (Bradfield), #6 (Beavers), #5 (Norby) for a reliever would be so beyond ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

This would be robbery by the A's. 

Giving up #5 Prospect (Tekoah Roby), #8 (Povich), #4 (Bradfield), #6 (Beavers), #5 (Norby) for a reliever would be so beyond ridiculous. 

You could very well be right, but I do think your points are slightly slanted.  Going by @Tony-OH 's list, it's Povich at #4, Bradfield at #7, Norby at #8 and Beavers at #11.  Roby would not be #5 in our system (I'm guessing closer to 10-12 in ours).  Regardless, saying that this trade would be "for a reliever" is not giving the appropriate weight to the other side of the trade.  Keegan Akin is a reliever, so is Dillon Tate.  Mason Miller has been among the most dominant closers in baseball, in just his first season.  He also has 5+ seasons remaining of team control.  It's a big risk, especially with his injury history, but while our package is impressive as a whole, there are no lead prospects the A's can hang their hat on.  Again, I don't see this happening as Elias seems risk averse.