The 2024 Trade Deadline

It’s getting to the point where I am expecting a Mounty trade.

I would also assume Urias isn’t being moved now. Mateo will be out for a while and that type of injury is a “who the hell knows” type thing. Even if they kept Norby through the deadline, they need another third baseman on the roster (assuming they aren’t going to move Gunnar there) and I’m not sure they think Mayo is that guy.

So I would think Urias stays now.

The Athletic article mentioned that Mullins is staying. If that’s true, Hays should be dealt. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If things are getting out of hand, you need to be able to bring someone in to lock it down.  You need someone who can get strikeouts with runners on.

That, and if you can shorten a game to 7 innings, that's extremely valuable.  You're forgetting how the Royals rode a bullpen right through us in the playoffs back in 2014 or 2015, whenever that was.  There was nothing we could do.

With how we've been playing we don't need to shorten games to 7 innings, we need to expand them to 20 innings so we can finally outscore the other team.  

I'll stand by that until we fix the rotation with two arms, then it is a waste to use assets on a reliever.  I'm also 50/50 on if we need an external bat or just need to play Mayo/Holliday.  Luis Robert?

Gotta have the lead to protect it.  So that tells me the process in get the lead is the most important part.  That would be SP, the lineup, the defense.  A reliever protecting a lead hinges on those three things first.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

With how we've been playing we don't need to shorten games to 7 innings, we need to expand them to 20 innings so we can finally outscore the other team.  

I'll stand by that until we fix the rotation with two arms, then it is a waste to use assets on a reliever.  I'm also 50/50 on if we need an external bat or just need to play Mayo/Holliday.  Luis Robert?

Gotta have the lead to protect it.  So that tells me the process in get the lead is the most important part.  That would be SP, the lineup, the defense.  A reliever protecting a lead hinges on those three things first.  

"With how we've been playing..." doesn't mean anything.  You're just reacting to the present and that the team is in a slump.  

And no, no, absolutely no to Luis Robert.  What's your obsession with him? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Bullpen is probably more important than the rotation in the playoffs. 

We gotta get to the playoffs first.  We're 15-16 since Bradish's last game pitched.  That's .484 win % since then.  If we keep playing at that clip the rest of the way, then that puts us at 90-62.  Does that make the playoffs?  

Seems like to me that we need two SP, before we need that reliever to shorten playoff games, for us to make the playoffs.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

"With how we've been playing..." doesn't mean anything.  You're just reacting to the present and that the team is in a slump.  

We gotta get to the playoffs first.  We're 15-16 since Bradish's last game pitched.  That's .484 win % since then.  If we keep playing at that clip the rest of the way, then that puts us at 90-62.  Does that make the playoffs?  

Seems like to me that we need two SP, before we need that reliever to shorten playoff games, for us to make the playoffs.  

Luis Robert improves the one position that we can't fix internally.  CF.  Mullins has been terrible this year.  Cowser has been terrible since May.  

We are who we are.  It isn't Memorial Day anymore.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

In his defense, we have been hot n' cold this year. Not at all like 2023. 

Luis Robert is a huge pass. He can't stay healthy. Health is a talent and he doesn't have it.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Luis Robert improves the one position that we can't fix internally.  CF.  Mullins has been terrible this year.  Cowser has been terrible since May.  

Dude, you've gotta come back off the ledge a little bit.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cowser will be fine. with practically everyone on this team in a funk right now, what makes you think Luis Robert wont slump. IT happens to all players. We have the bats and they will turn around. We need pitching.Lets get to next Tuesday and reevaluate

7 minutes ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Interestingly I didn't see anything on Bryce Miller. I didn't read all 250 pages however. We are an excellent match with Seattle and I believe Miller is who we are now chasing. Thoughts on Miller? 

Yeah I'd love to him him. Miller's got 5 years of control after this year. His statcast info is underwhelming but the results are good.

5omm5zjk o

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If things are getting out of hand, you need to be able to bring someone in to lock it down.  You need someone who can get strikeouts with runners on.

That, and if you can shorten a game to 7 innings, that's extremely valuable.  You're forgetting how the Royals rode a bullpen right through us in the playoffs back in 2014 or 2015, whenever that was.  There was nothing we could do.

Some of why I hope Elias strongly invests in the bullpen is that the 2024 Orioles rotation is already better than the 2014 Royals rotation.

Can you even Sporcle quiz recall who they were without looking it up?

James Shields and Yordan Ventura had 123 ERA+ during the regular season, Jason Vargas 106, Jeremy Guthrie 95.     They were the only four pitchers to start games during a month long run, as one anecdote about SP5's role even 10 years ago.

Edited by Just Regular
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude, you've gotta come back off the ledge a little bit.  

I'm as confident as ever.  I'll lay a bet down on us to win the WS today.  Well, and the Giants too at +18000.  

We just need to make some moves.  

What's the reason for the Luis Robert hate?  I think it's largely because people want to see an all "homegrown" lineup, and if we get Robert then that means that ain't happening.  

I want to win.  I don't care if the players were drafted by us or even earthlings.  Just win baby.  

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm as confident as ever.  I'll lay a bet down on us to win the WS today.  Well, and the Giants too at +18000.  

We just need to make some moves.  

What's the reason for the Luis Robert hate?  I think it's largely because people want to see an all "homegrown" lineup, and if we get Robert then that means that ain't happening.  

I want to win.  I don't care if the players were drafted by us or even earthlings.  Just win baby.  

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/luis-robert-player-injuries

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s getting to the point where I am expecting a Mounty trade.

I would also assume Urias isn’t being moved now. Mateo will be out for a while and that type of injury is a “who the hell knows” type thing. Even if they kept Norby through the deadline, they need another third baseman on the roster (assuming they aren’t going to move Gunnar there) and I’m not sure they think Mayo is that guy.

So I would think Urias stays now.

The Athletic article mentioned that Mullins is staying. If that’s true, Hays should be dealt. 

I don't see why we would trade Hays. He is a RHB. Feels like Norby would have already replaced him by now if they wanted to go in that direction. We would already be taking some risk in replacing Mounty with Mayo so I have to think we would keep our options for RHB's. Or do you think they are trading for a RHB?