Pretty Cool Story about the TEAM USA

backwardsk

Awesome story. And you know what is also awesome? That Perez or his parents are probably from a Latino country like Mexico, PR, Venezuela, DR... and he roots -- and roots hard -- for team USA. He could have very easily rooted for the team of his ancestors, but considers himself an American through and through... and even served his country in the military too. That makes me proud to be American.

Great story... yet on some level... very very sad. :o

Sad? I doubt if SGT Perez would agree with you.

Someone has to defend the country. It's a given that some of those who serve will die and others will be disabled in the service of their country.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Awesome story. And you know what is also awesome? That Perez or his parents are probably from a Latino country like Mexico, PR, Venezuela, DR...

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. Some people with Latino surnames have ancestors that were in this country when the Mayflower arrived and many others have roots going back before 1776.

That makes me proud to be American.

Me too!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• BBREF.com is usually in the ballpark (no pun intended) when it comes to projecting arbitration cases.  For 2023, they expect $17.97M in 2023, and that number balloons to $58.5M and $86M in 2024 and 2025, respectively.   https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/baltimore-orioles-salaries-and-contracts.shtml  There's your significant increase. It's not going out on a limb to expect no big presents under the Orioles Christmas tree this year.   
    • It comes from a throwaway line in a Jon Heyman article:  “The Orioles are checking on top shortstops, but with the need less than overwhelming, and bigger market teams involved, it’s more likely they sign starting pitchers.” https://nypost.com/2022/12/01/astros-has-some-justin-verlander-hesitation-in-mlb-free-agency/ Hardly worth getting excited about.  
    • And before it was announced that they were getting a $30 million payout from the Disney deal. And before the new TV deal started. 
    • Director of pro scouting Mike Snyder will be a guest tonight.   Looks like he’s mostly talking about the O’s approach to the Rule 5 draft, per Roch: “It’s kind of a tradition in Baltimore of taking, if not one, sometimes more than one player in the Rule 5,” Mike Snyder, the director of pro scouting, said this week during an interview that airs tonight on the debut episode of the “Hot Stove Show” on MASN. Snyder said the Orioles take the list of eligible players and whittle it to maybe “a couple hundred that we would say merit serious consideration,” but wind up with a couple dozen who are viewed as possible selections. From there, the final draft might contain three-to-seven players, and the Orioles wait to see how teams react ahead of them. A player is chosen “only if we think that person has a significant, real chance of helping the team that year,” Snyder said. “It’s very easy to fall in a trap of saying, ‘Oh, we can hide this player and they’ll be on the roster for the year,’ and then you can maintain that control over the player for several years, and we haven’t felt like that is all that fruitful. So in the past, the players that we’ve selected we felt had a chance to impact the team that following year and in the future. “This year, that hasn’t changed. What might have changed a little bit is that we feel good about where our roster stands now, and the bar might be a little higher to clear for what does help your big league team looking forward into 2023.” https://www.masnsports.com/blog/will-the-orioles-be-left-with-only-right-handers-in-their-rotation
    • Santander is likely traded, if you sign a SS Mateo gets traded, Hays isn’t worth the raise, and Mullins is still a bargain at 4 million. And even if they keep all it’s not a “significant increase”. He would’ve just said we will increase our guys. He said 2 hitters with a MOO bat. Anything of value is going to push up the payroll. A starting pitcher better than Lyles at 11 million will cost you $20 per.  
    • Dumb wording ….Elias knows the cost. I’m sure he’s not dumb enough to think he’s going to get a bargain. Just a BS rumor more than likely.
  • Popular Contributors