Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They bring them up because we need to have guys on the bench available to pinch hit, pinch run, substitute for injured players, or give somebody a rest.   It's not a matter of not believing in them.  Some will get chances to start and some won't.   Just because a guy is starting every day in AAA doesn't mean he should get a chance to start every day (or even most to the time) in the majors.

I think it’s a fair argument to make about players like Kjerstad. His promotion was questioned at the time as he was raking in AAA and there was not an obvious opportunity to play when promoted. And sure enough he sat on the bench primarily for weeks and was demoted.

i think there’s a difference between promoting a player like Kjerstad and promoting a Maton etc. Our top prospects should only be promoted if they are going to get a long leash on playing time a la Holliday (IMO)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Mateo to IL?

Haven't read further in the thread to know if it's been noted, but there is a Concussion Protocol List which has a shorter maximum duration than the 10 day IL.   I think it is 5 days?   EDIT:  Having read further in the thread I see it is 7 days.

So no doubt the move being made is:

Mateo to the CL, with Vespi replacing him on the roster (since Vespi hasn't been down 15 days, he can only come up to replace someone going on an injury list).

Norby coming up because we need 13 position players, and a pitcher going.   My guess is Vieira DFA.   It's pretty damn telling that in the post game yesterday Hyde said he had to stick with Tate as long as he did because he didn't have any rested RH relievers in the pen.   Vieira hadn't pitched in 6 days.

Edited by SteveA

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Also, if a player is recalled within 20 days of being sent down, it doesn’t count as an option.  The player gets credit for all the service time in the intervening period.  Here’s Vespi’s travels:

3/20 optioned to minors

3/28 recalled, so 3/20 option doesn’t count 

3/30 optioned to minors, counts as first one.

5/22 recalled

5/23 optioned

5/24 recalled, so 5/23 option doesn’t count 

5/27 optioned

6/3 Apparently recalled, so 5/27 option won’t count.

So in sum, though Vespi has been sent to the minors 4 times, I believe only one of those has counted towards his limit of 5 options in one season.  He will have gotten major league service time from 3/28-3/30 and 5/22-6/2, plus whatever he accrues from today forward.   

Good clarification.  Thank you.

I find it odd though, if the purpose of the 5 options r ule is to keep you from yo-yoing a player up and down too much, that the rules specifically exempts an option from counting if the guy is (yo-yo'd) back up within 20 days

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Good clarification.  Thank you.

I find it odd though, if the purpose of the 5 options r ule is to keep you from yo-yoing a player up and down too much, that the rules specifically exempts an option from counting if the guy is (yo-yo'd) back up within 20 days

I misremembered the rule.  I’m going to delete my post to avoid further confusion.  

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Norby is an interesting guy, and one that is usually included in writer (and poster) trade scenarios.  The guy can really hit.  If I recall correctly, it comes down to whether his defensive value as a COF or 2B merits a spot on the team.  It's just one play, but I saw that he made a great throw from RF to nab a runner at the plate.  So, that was promising to see.  Still, others can provide more insight than I, with @Tony-OH among them.

Awful route and off balance throw. I don't know how he managed to get the runner taking three extra steps and falling to his side. I would not call that a great throw by any means. If he fielded it cleanly the runner probably just holds up.

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I totally expect Hyde to sit Norby and start Urias 6 out of the 7 games while Mateo is out. 

Are you suggesting that is the wrong thing to do?

Norby is clearly for Mateo. But Vespi means we're either burning an option for somebody on the team - Akin and Tate are candidates. Thyago makes a lot more sense because we just aren't using him. And Vespi, well, isn't exactly the best of options.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Awful route and off balance throw. I don't know how he managed to get the runner taking three extra steps and falling to his side. I would not call that a great throw by any means. If he fielded it cleanly the runner probably just holds up.

It looks like the wind was up to 9 mph on Saturday evening in Norfolk. The box score says wind was L to R. I'd assume based on that and the way he played the ball, it was significantly impacted by the wind.