What, if anything - would it take for your to forgive Peter Angelos

glorydays

Peter is a prideful man so I don't expect an apology anytime soon for the mess he has made of our beloved O's. And it is not very likely that that he would issue one anyway. But short of selling the team and moving with his sons to Canada - is there anything that he could do for you to forgive him?

I ask this because we have seen several perhaps backhanded steps that he has taken over the past year to repair his image in Baltimore and to improve the team. Baltimore is back on the road jersey, he acknowledges and even embraces the Ravens, he has hired a competent GM and seems to have given him freedom to make important decisions, he has pumped money into the farm system and international scouting and now he is offering to save the Preakness.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I already have. Okay, he could buy Pimlico/Laurel and the Preakness and save them for Maryland. Technically, it would have to be one of his sons since MLB won't allow him to take a direct ownership stake in a gambling enterprise like a racetrack. Although, he can own and race horses since that's not gambling in and of itself.

Peter is a prideful man so I don't expect an apology anytime soon for the mess he has made of our beloved O's. And it is not very likely that that he would issue one anyway. But short of selling the team and moving with his sons to Canada - is there anything that he could do for you to forgive him?

I ask this because we have seen several perhaps backhanded steps that he has taken over the past year to repair his image in Baltimore and to improve the team. Baltimore is back on the road jersey, he acknowledges and even embraces the Ravens, he has hired a competent GM and seems to have given him freedom to make important decisions, he has pumped money into the farm system and international scouting and now he is offering to save the Preakness.

Huh? Forgive him for what? Didn't he actullay spend money when he first becvame the owner? Like Joey Belle? What has happend to the O's can not be all put on him. IMO

Very few owners would actually come out and say, "that was a mistake," so saying Peter wouldn't do that is kind of unfair.

Still Peter Angelos has been a poor owner and that will be his legacy no matter what happens. His decade of poor leadership and mishalding of the team will be his mark. He has reformed in his advanced age, but that is too little to late.

There is little that Peter can do that will allow people to "forgive" him, and frankly why should anyone "forgive" him? he was a bad owner, he won't be around that much longer, chapter end - turn the page.

At the end of the day Peter probably hopes that he leaves the Orioles as an organization in a better place than when he found it. If he left three years ago, I don't think he could have said that. Now, perhaps.

I have nothing to forgive him for. Many of you hate the man because of what he "supposedly single handedly has done to the Orioles." Whatever. To each his own. I look at my Baltimore Orioles as a team that has not been to the World Series since 1983...a full 10 years before Peter Angelos was around. I also look at a man in Peter Angelos who gives back to the city in the form of millions of dollars in donations to charities, and I look at a man who was the lawyer for my Grandfather when he got asbestosis from Bethlehem Steel, and while many of you will say he did that so that he could line his own pockets with money, I say what lawyer doesn't? So you all can sit around and discuss what he can do to earn your forgiveness, but I will have no part of it. For all we know, the Baltimore Orioles may have left town without Peter Angelos.

Huh? Forgive him for what? Didn't he actullay spend money when he first becvame the owner? Like Joey Belle? What has happend to the O's can not be all put on him. IMO

It absolutely can all be put on him. No owner of any team is perfect, but it takes an effort to take a winning franchise and run it into the ground. Spending money to begin with did NOT equal success, it simply slowed the fall into the 11 straight losing seasons.

The owner gets the final call, the ultimate responsibility and when OPACY is full of rival fans instead of Oriole fans, that goes right back to the person in charge.

As to the original post, I think he is on the right track. At the end of the day, he has my dream job, owning the Baltimore Orioles, and I want the team to succeed, and he is the only one who can continue to correct the path of the team. So, my hope is, the scouting, spring training facilities and front office get even more love and support, so the process of building something gains additional momentum.

Should we stay the 'new' path, of building from within and the O's start to win again at some point, it is all good.

-Don

I have nothing to forgive him for. Many of you hate the man because of what he "supposedly single handedly has done to the Orioles." Whatever. To each his own. I look at my Baltimore Orioles as a team that has not been to the World Series since 1983...a full 10 years before Peter Angelos was around. I also look at a man in Peter Angelos who gives back to the city in the form of millions of dollars in donations to charities, and I look at a man who was the lawyer for my Grandfather when he got asbestosis from Bethlehem Steel, and while many of you will say he did that so that he could line his own pockets with money, I say what lawyer doesn't? So you all can sit around and discuss what he can do to earn your forgiveness, but I will have no part of it. For all we know, the Baltimore Orioles may have left town without Peter Angelos.

Peter Angelos single handedly drove Brooks and Frank Robinson away from this team. Is that okay?

Two Oriole greats want nothing to do with this team while it is owned by Angelos. I think that says enough...

Not you too.*sigh*

You missed the first part..."For all we know..."

My point is, everyone blames Angelos for 11 years of losing. We do not KNOW that if Steve Bischiotti or Cal Ripken or Tony Pente himself owned the Birds, that we would had any different results.

You missed the first part..."For all we know..."

My point is, everyone blames Angelos for 11 years of losing. We do not KNOW that if Steve Bischiotti or Cal Ripken or Tony Pente himself owned the Birds, that we would had any different results.

If Peter Angelos really cared about winning don't you think he would have invested the time and energy to stop this losing streak before it hit 11 seasons?

Those people you named would actually care more about winning, than the profit they were making...

I think Angelos cares about winning. His problem was he was deadset on thinking he knew how to go about it, his way.

He does want to win, but I think he wants to make a profit more. I think the Orioles were more like a toy to him that he could just play with when he wanted. And he didn't care too much about how the day to day operations went as long as the profits were rolling in. But like a selfish child, he was the only one that could play with that toy as he didn't trust his baseball people to manage the team...

Now he's given his toy to MacPhail to play with and MacPhail is giving him constant updates on how he is playing with it...

Archived