What, if anything - would it take for your to forgive Peter Angelos

glorydays

As I mentioned earlier:

7) Frank Robinson

8) Brooks Robinson

With all due respect, these are all grown men and if they allow petty arguments or dislikes of Angelos to get in the way of their love of the Orioles or us fans, well God bless them. I'm not quite sure what you would like for Brooksie to do that Angelos is preventing? Do you want a Brooks statue outside OPACY? That will happen at some point, either soon or once Angelos leaves. What else do you want to see, since this obviously agravates you?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It absolutely can all be put on him. No owner of any team is perfect, but it takes an effort to take a winning franchise and run it into the ground. Spending money to begin with did NOT equal success, it simply slowed the fall into the 11 straight losing seasons.

The owner gets the final call, the ultimate responsibility and when OPACY is full of rival fans instead of Oriole fans, that goes right back to the person in charge.

As to the original post, I think he is on the right track. At the end of the day, he has my dream job, owning the Baltimore Orioles, and I want the team to succeed, and he is the only one who can continue to correct the path of the team. So, my hope is, the scouting, spring training facilities and front office get even more love and support, so the process of building something gains additional momentum.

Should we stay the 'new' path, of building from within and the O's start to win again at some point, it is all good.

-Don

Sorry, but i must disagree with you. To me Angelos does not have anything to apologize for.

At least he did not take the home town team away from its fans inthe middle of the night. Maybe Angelos is not the best owner of a sports team, but he is far from the worst.

Not to mention, if he is SO money hungry like JTrea says, then why is OPACY one of the only remaning stadiums in any sport that has not sold out to a Corporate Name?

"Hello everyone, and welcome to another beautiful night for a game at Old Bay Park in Baltimore, MD." Ugh.

If Peter Angelos really cared about winning don't you think he would have invested the time and energy to stop this losing streak before it hit 11 seasons?

Those people you named would actually care more about winning, than the profit they were making...

Oh here we go again. Like giving your buddy Tex 250 million. That still would not have stopped tjhe losing.

Not to mention, if he is SO money hungry like JTrea says, then why is OPACY one of the only remaning stadiums in any sport that has not sold out to a Corporate Name?

"Hello everyone, and welcome to another beautiful night for a game at Old Bay Park in Baltimore, MD." Ugh.

OldBay would be about the best sponsor we could hope for.

Boy, there are many more defenders of Angelos than I thought there would be. Drew Forrestor is probably choking on his microphone reading this, tho we are all homers so he probably expected it.:laughlol:

Personally, I think he is directly responsible for the 11 years of losing. I think he is a stubborn, vindictive man who thought he was a baseball genius after blocking the trades in 1996. Whether suing other millionaires, dissing local media, thumbing his nose at Baltimore fans in an effort to attract "regional" support he has burned quite a few bridges. His decision making has been extremely poor and the lack of direction he has provided has led us to where we are today. He is the only constant during the past 11 years. I think he cares about the O's as he cares about his legacy. What makes it bad is that there is another team in town that appears to do things the right way and that just further illustrates Angelos's shortcomings.

But to answer the thread, the only way I will forgive (if that is even the right word) him is if he can some how get me the last 11 summers back and fill it with at least competitive O's baseball.

Boy, there are many more defenders of Angelos than I thought there would be. Drew Forrestor is probably choking on his microphone reading this, tho we are all homers so he probably expected it.:laughlol:

Personally, I think he is directly responsible for the 11 years of losing. I think he is a stubborn, vindictive man who thought he was a baseball genius after blocking the trades in 1996. Whether suing other millionaires, dissing local media, thumbing his nose at Baltimore fans in an effort to attract "regional" support he has burned quite a few bridges. His decision making has been extremely poor and the lack of direction he has provided has led us to where we are today. He is the only constant during the past 11 years. I think he cares about the O's as he cares about his legacy. What makes it bad is that there is another team in town that appears to do things the right way and that just further illustrates Angelos's shortcomings.

But to answer the thread, the only way I will forgive (if that is even the right word) him is if he can some how get me the last 11 summers back and fill it with at least competitive O's baseball.

25 summers, minus 2. 25 of the last 25 years we have not made the World Series. Only two years did we make the playoffs. People who want to blame the owner for everything conviently leave this stat out.

Yeah, the logic behind the "greedy Angelos" claims has never made sense to me. How many players have said how over the top good Angelos was to their families, he has done about everything anyone could do for Melvin Mora, he has treated so many players so well.

Maybe thats his problem, maybe he has treated too many players too well.

I will repeat the words of others, he has nothing to apologize for and nothing to be forgivin for.

I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to "forgive" Angelos for?

He really can't be accused of not being loyal to Baltimore.

He really can't be accused of not caring about the Orioles.

And he really can't be accused of not spending money on the team.

Perhaps he can be accused of hiring the wrong people to run the Orioles. And perhaps he can be accused of meddling in the baseball operations.....

But perhaps they were attempts to correct what he believed to be management mistakes. To me, right or wrong, that is an owner's prerogative.

So....if we forgive Angelos for any and all perceived misdeeds in the past, we should also give him kudos for finally getting it right.

\

Of which, like most ballparks, fans would NOT be allowed to bring in their own food and beverages.

\

Of which, like most ballparks, fans would NOT be allowed to bring in their own food and beverages.

Another good point. I was talking to an outside vendor last year who was quite grateful that he can make ends meet with this stand outside of the park. An awful lot of his peanuts are inside OPACY.

Had we drafted successfully for those 11 years we wouldn't be having this discussion.

ding ding ding ding ding....close the thread, we have a winner!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, the flip side will say that Angelos hired the scouting department! :o(

With all due respect, these are all grown men and if they allow petty arguments or dislikes of Angelos to get in the way of their love of the Orioles or us fans, well God bless them. I'm not quite sure what you would like for Brooksie to do that Angelos is preventing? Do you want a Brooks statue outside OPACY? That will happen at some point, either soon or once Angelos leaves. What else do you want to see, since this obviously agravates you?

Angelos told Frobby he'd sit down with him and find another position in the organization when Gillick was hired if he didn't want him as Assistant GM anymore. And then Gillick goes and fires him and Angelos doesn't follow through with the new position. That would be enough to make me distrust and dislike somebody.

Also in the same vein Brooksie was interested in being a community liason and he met with Angelos several times, but never got a response back from him. So Brooksie decided that was that and has been distant from the organization since...

Angelos drove two of the most honored and important players in the history of the franchise away. That's like the Yankees alienating Reggie Jackson and Yogi Berra...

Archived