What does the Bradish injury really mean?

Sports Guy

4 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Next year they could be without Burnes and Bradish. Then if anything happens to GRod they are absolutely screwed. They don’t need to trade the farm for a TOR starter this year but they could trade for a SP like Kikuchi/Fedde that is a fine 3/4 and better than Kremer/Irvin. Then trade for at least 1 RP (if not 2) that is a pending FA (like Garcia) or someone with control (like Nardi). So they can definitely upgrade and “go for it” this year without selling the farm or their top prospects. 

Interesting that you think those guys at 33 and 31 with higher career ERAs are better than Kremer who’s 28. Plus the WAR indicates 3.8, 2.9, and 3.4 are very similar. Fedde has been worth 3.1 so far this season which means he was a negative WAR guy to start the season. 

Edited by Roll Tide

Looks like this year could belong to the Yankees, but the O's do have a shot

I really don't want to trade Mayo or Basallo but how can you not when you want a Crochett or another top of the line arm? They will also want some pitching in returns and we are thinner than folks think.

Burnes, GrayRod, Irvin, Kremer, Suarez, Povich, Zimmerman, Stoudt, McDermott is where we are at for Depth. Its gonna be MUCH rougher next year if Burnes walks and Bradish is out. We are dangerously close to bare cupboards for MLB ready pitching options. 

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Looks like this year could belong to the Yankees, but the O's do have a shot

I really don't want to trade Mayo or Basallo but how can you not when you want a Crochett or another top of the line arm? They will also want some pitching in returns and we are thinner than folks think.

Burnes, GrayRod, Irvin, Kremer, Suarez, Povich, Zimmerman, Stoudt, McDermott is where we are at for Depth. Its gonna be MUCH rougher next year if Burnes walks and Bradish is out. We are dangerously close to bare cupboards for MLB ready pitching options. 

Mayo and Basallo could give us 12 total years of above average play for incredibly cheap.  It could range from bad to elite of course.  I’m not sure one season is ever worth losing that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think this injury means that Povich will get more starts with the Orioles this season than we all thought. Man, we went into the season with these starters:

Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, Wells, Kremer, Irvin, Suarez and Povich

We now are relying on starters 7, 8 and 9 to win

And McDermott.  The good thing is that Irvin, Suarez and Povich all seem to be stepping up.

Sure seems like Bradish will go on the 15 day IL today.   Vespi or Krook being called up.

Kremer has a rehab start tomorrow.   If he does well he could be in the rotation on Friday.   Kremer had a 3.25 ERA in the 2nd half last season.   He can be a big help if he is healthy.

There was a question in this thread about what can we learn about the pitching that we don't know between now and the deadline.    I think the answer is a lot.

Over 2022 and 2023 Suarez pitched 29 and 30 start and 173 and 162 IP.    Right now he has a 1.61 ERA overall and I .82 ERA as a starter in 7 starts.    If he can do that until the deadline Elias is going to have a hard time finding a better 3rd starter for the playoff than Suarez.

We will probably see Povich get regular starts for the next 6 weeks.   The rookie could be big in the pennant race.  25 year old Boddicker stepped up in 1983 for the O's.   He had never done that before but going 16-8 that year helped the O's to the World Series.   We will see what Povich can show Elias before the deadline.

Next man up.

• Thanks 1

"Be fearful when the market is greedy.  Be greedy when the market is fearful."

Elias and Sig may make a trade or two.  But driven by desperation doesn't fit their history.  We saw that in 2022 and 2023.  We saw it this off-season. I suspect we'll see it again in 2024.

Luzardo isn't right, so unless there's a discount on the name brand... and Holt sees a path to reclamation...

Crochet fits the type OH wants, but does he fit the portfolio and cost models?  Gotta think market passions will be in the driver's seat here.

LAA - Detmers

WAS - Gore 

DET - Flaherty

TBR - Eflin

CHW -Fedde

How much does SFG trust Robbie Ray's recovery?

8 hours ago, accinfo said:

See how Kremer, Irvin, Povich, and Suarez do the next few weeks before we write them off as not good enough.

I'm not talking about writing them off. But I am certainly not for believing that any of those three is going to be a number 2 or 3 starter and pitch us through multiple rounds and on to the World Series. That would be sort of the definition of "magical thinking". Bradish, before he got hurt was able to go pitch for pitch against Suarez and keep their offense in check. I think it would be foolish to expect that kind of performance on the biggest stage (October baseball) of Kremer, Irvin, Povich, or Suarez. None of them COMBINED have ever been anything like that before. That doesn't mean that they can't help the team, but not as a credible/suitable replacement for Bradish.