Hernandez vs Tampa Bay AAA - 3/24

orioole28

The amazing thing is DH is the 4th, 5th or 6th best starting pitching prospect in the high minors for the O's:

1a. Matusz

1b. Arrieta

1c. Tillman

2a. Patton

2b. Bergesen

2c. Hernandez

I know people will argue that he's better than Patton or Berge, but having this kind of depth is just awesome however you look at it.

The amazing thing is DH is the 4th, 5th or 6th best starting pitching prospect in the high minors for the O's:

1a. Matusz

1b. Arrieta

1c. Tillman

2a. Patton

2b. Bergesen

2c. Hernandez

I know people will argue that he's better than Patton or Berge, but having this kind of depth is just awesome however you look at it.

Depending on how you are defining "high minors" you could include Erbe and Britton in there ahead of DH, too. Erbe will pitch at the same level as Arrieta and a level above where Matusz may start the year. Britton may be on the same staff as Matusz on opening day, though that will change pretty quickly in all likelihood.

Hernandez is really turning heads right now. Whether he can stick as a starter remains to be seen, but the guy showed this spring that he can miss major league bats and that opened some eyes. If he can get the walks down and get into the 6th innings consistently, he might be able to stick as a stater for now.

Hernandez is really turning heads right now. Whether he can stick as a starter remains to be seen, but the guy showed this spring that he can miss major league bats and that opened some eyes. If he can get the walks down and get into the 6th innings consistently, he might be able to stick as a stater for now.

Wow, that's great to hear. Overall, it seems to me this has been a very good spring for our upper-level prospects who went to major league camp. Not only did we get what we might have expected from the Big 3, but also encouraging performances from Bergesen, Hernandez, Reimold, Turner, Moore and Snyder. And Wieters, needless to say, hasn't disappointed. From the standpoint of hopeful signs from our upper-level prospects, I'd rate the spring an A+.

Depending on how you are defining "high minors" you could include Erbe and Britton in there ahead of DH, too. Erbe will pitch at the same level as Arrieta and a level above where Matusz may start the year. Britton may be on the same staff as Matusz on opening day, though that will change pretty quickly in all likelihood.

I have a feeling that both Erbe and Britton are getting over looked a bit because of the excitement regarding the big 3 and their performance at the big league camp. I will not be surprised if both Erbe and Britton increase their prospect status this year. Maybe not to the level of the big three, but top 100 is a definate possibility for the two of them in my opinion.

I love Britton and I know that Erbe has tremendous upside despite his struggles last year. I didn't include either of them because I'm not sure that they'll be ready to compete for a spot with the O's before 2011 and I believe all the other guys on the list will have every chance to make the club before the end of 2010.

Good point about Matusz not being in the "high minors" yet. Funny how we tend to view him as a major league ready prospect even though he hasn't thrown a pitch in the minors yet.

Gotta love the depth though.

I love Britton and I know that Erbe has tremendous upside despite his struggles last year. I didn't include either of them because I'm not sure that they'll be ready to compete for a spot with the O's before 2011 and I believe all the other guys on the list will have every chance to make the club before the end of 2010.

I agree Britton wont be competing before 2011; it could even be 2012. With Erbe, it depends how he does this year. I don't see him as making the club next Opening Day, but with a good year he's certainly in the mix for a call-up in the second half of 2010.

I've never understood why Hernandez was seen as a middle reliever. With the amount of bats he misses, I think he has to be seen as at the very worst, a late innings guy. Hopefully he can stick in the back of the rotation.

Did I miss something because I know we never called him a middle reliever. We said all along he could pitch at the end of games as a 8th or 9th inning guy of he couldn't stick as a starter.

Did I miss something because I know we never called him a middle reliever. We said all along he could pitch at the end of games as a 8th or 9th inning guy of he couldn't stick as a starter.

Which is why I pay for a plus subscription, and not for the opinions of some posters.

Archived