Hernandez vs Tampa Bay AAA - 3/24

orioole28

Did he dominate by being a thrower or by being a complete pitcher (commanding/mixing pitches)?

Hopefully, he wasn't just throwing heat and blowing away minor leaguers?

BJ Uptom isn't a minor leaguer. His command obviously was excellant when you only throw 53 pitches in 5 innings of work.

Edit: Beat me by 2 minutes

That's good to hear. We have seen that Hernandez can dominate with strikeouts when he's on. The fact that he K'd 8 guys in 5 IP and still kept is pitch count down is also a good sign. Consistency is the key with all players. Can he do it again, and again, and again, etc.? Pitching lines like that in the minors get you promotions.

Prediction:

Hernandez becomes a 2-3 inning guy in the 6-7-8 in July/August. He gets a couple starts in September and gets ready to compete for a job in 2010. Think Justin Masterson and MAYBE Joba. (Sorry, just had to use familiar references)

The more updates I see on DH the happier I get. He's really grown on me since I watched him in Frederick two seasons ago. I know he gets lumped by many in a group of pitchers as a guy who's future may lie in the pen, but I really think Dave's got the stuff and the fortitude to make it as a SP.

As long as he controls his pitch counts and continues to refine his offspeed pitch, I think he's going to have a pretty successful season at Norfolk.

David can press the starter argument if his change-up develops. With 3 quality pitches, he would have the arsenal for starting. Otherwise, he risks becoming pigeon-holed into a 2 pitch reliever.

In addition to the big 3, I'm paying close attention to David, Erbe, Patton, and Beato. What an exciting year to be following the MiLB birds!

Prediction:

Hernandez becomes a 2-3 inning guy in the 6-7-8 in July/August. He gets a couple starts in September and gets ready to compete for a job in 2010. Think Justin Masterson and MAYBE Joba. (Sorry, just had to use familiar references)

Hernandez should only need a few starts in AAA to prove that he's ready. If he keeps mowing them down like he has done, he'll be here sooner than later, and not in the bullpen.

Hernandez should only need a few starts in AAA to prove that he's ready. If he keeps mowing them down like he has done, he'll be here sooner than later, and not in the bullpen.

I think you are wrong about the amount of time he needs in AAA. He barely averaged 5 IP per start last year, and that won't cut it in the majors. He needs to work on his change-up, get his pitch counts down, and get to the point where he can go 6+ on a semi-regular basis. That's not happening in just a few starts - half a season, minimum.

On the other hand, if the O's needed bullpen help, he could probably do that without needing too much more polish.

Hernandez was very impressive in todays start going 5 innings. DHernandez K'd BJ Uptom 3 times today and in his 5 innings oo work threw 52 pitches today.

His linescore as follows:

5(IP) 1(H) 0® 0(BB) 8(SO)

Wow!!! 52 pitches with 8 K's!! That's amazing, I wonder what his balls to strikes he threw that day.

Archived