Cowser and the strikeouts.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The comp wasn’t to Gunnar exactly. It was using him as an example of a player who had a big weakness just last year and was able to overcome it.

You could go through every team and find guys, ones less talented than Gunnar and find guys who made adjustments on weaknesses.

We have others on the team…OHearn is an example. Westburg showed very little power in the majors last year. That’s not the case now.

It happens all the time and guys as talented as Cowser should be thought of as players that can do it.

I just gave you the wRC+ of Gunnar vs Curves and Changeups last season, they were well above average. He didn't struggle against them. Saying he did and now he crushes them and Cowser will be fine is a terrible comp.

Gunnar had a bad April then took off like a rocket. Cowser hunted fastballs in April and took off like a rocket, now they throw him offspeed and he's striking out 30% of the time. I'm totally fine with him learning on the job, but if he's as talented as you believe, I'd expect there should be some progress in two months when you can sit on offspeed because you know you're rarely going to see a fastball. There hasn't been yet. Is it a done deal? No, of course not, but you like to talk in absolutes and right now, I don't think wanting to see some progress there is asking for too much.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

My evidence is that I think he’s a good hitter, with an excellent approach that has a lot of talent.

Your opinion is evidence?   Must be nice.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wow, 2 whole months.  How will he ever recover from that?

He may never do become better with them. Acting as if that’s written in stone is absurd. 

Most non elite guys have weaknesses but that doesn’t mean they can’t improve on those weaknesses. He may never be an elite hitter because of those things but he can be a better hitter than he is and there is plenty of evidence to believe that.

Where is our hitting coach in helping him with the curveball approach?

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I just gave you the wRC+ of Gunnar vs Curves and Changeups last season, they were well above average. He didn't struggle against them. Saying he did and now he crushes them and Cowser will be fine is a terrible comp.

Gunnar had a bad April then took off like a rocket. Cowser hunted fastballs in April and took off like a rocket, now they throw him offspeed and he's striking out 30% of the time. I'm totally fine with him learning on the job, but if he's as talented as you believe, I'd expect there should be some progress in two months when you can sit on offspeed because you know you're rarely going to see a fastball. There hasn't been yet. Is it a done deal? No, of course not, but you like to talk in absolutes and right now, I don't think wanting to see some progress there is asking for too much.

It’s not asking too much.  What’s asking too much is acting like the book is written and that is what you are doing imo.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It’s not asking too much.  What’s asking too much is acting like the book is written and that is what you are doing imo.

I don't think I've done that by saying there should be some progress against those pitch types when that's all you're being fed. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Makes me think that's not a reliable stat.

Maybe, maybe not.  

I think the truth about Cowser is somewhere in between what Malike and SG are arguing about.  Overall, I believe he's very talented and he'll figure out how to stop whiffing on breaking/offspeed, it might just take him a bit to get there.

34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Look on the bright side, he's in there with Judge, Cruz, and Harper.  That's good company.

I should have provided the chart which explains the discrepancy-read though each line compared to Judge then notice the adjustment at the end.  Judge for exanple is worth 5 more wins so far this season in clutch situations, Harper 2.5 more.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=3&sortcol=12&sortdir=default&ind=1&startdate=&enddate=&month=0&season1=2024&season=2024&team=0&pagenum=19&pageitems=30

Edited by SemperFi
  • Upvote 1

Just now, SemperFi said:

I should have provided the chart which explains the discrepancy-read though each line compared to Judge then notice the adjustment at the end.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=3&sortcol=12&sortdir=default&ind=1&startdate=&enddate=&month=0&season1=2024&season=2024&team=0&pagenum=19&pageitems=30

I was kidding around, but noted.

Didn't have Daulton Varsho as being the clutchest hitter in the game, though.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe, maybe not.  

I think the truth about Cowser is somewhere in between what Malike and SG are arguing about.  Overall, I believe he's very talented and he'll figure out how to stop whiffing on breaking/offspeed, it might just take him a bit to get there.

I think Cowser will adjust, but it’s getting frustrating watching Colton “Pedro Cerrano” Cowser do his thing the past couple months. Cowser made it this far so you hope he’ll adjust, but other top prospects have failed to make that adjustment after getting figured out by the league. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was kidding around, but noted.

Didn't have Daulton Varsho as being the clutchest hitter in the game, though.

I was seriously curious when I saw Judge then looked at the details.