Bring up Mayo already!!

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

We should not trade a key bat. (Mayo) for a pitcher, because we need hitting as much as pitching!!

The O's have scored the second most runs in baseball without Mayo (in two fewer games).

How exactly do they need hitting?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

The O's have scored the second most runs in baseball without Mayo (in two fewer games).

How exactly do they need hitting?

Because they are losing games due to, I don't know, not outscoring the opponents?  Like the last 2 nights?  But I guess since we are doing so good in overall scoring runs, we shouldn't try to improve or get better, huh?  Granted, we need more pitching help than we need hitting help, BUT we already have the hitting help in AAA, and just need to promote it.  The pitching help will have to come via trades, and that may take time.  But we can improve now with what we already have in the organization.  It kills me how so many point to our record or the team stats and act like we shouldn't try to get better just because we are doing good.  If we CAN improve then we SHOULD improve.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Can O Corn, you haven't noticed we have struggled scoring RISP? What we did earlier this year ain't helping us now? 

It's not a repeatable skill.

They didn't suddenly forget how to hit with RISP, this will come back around.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Any particular reason why? He's arguably a better roster fit for us than Jimenez and Slater after the decimation of our IF depth. He does not play IF, which I think is a greater area of concern than the OF presently.
    • The umps have been bad at times.  But both of those calls were Angel Hernandez-esque.  Those two were so bad that it almost makes me think conspiracy theory thoughts (almost).  Just terrible.  
    • I’m wondering if they made a strategic decision  at the beginning of the seasons to swing earlier and more often.  After last years patient approach I’ve thought they were taking advantage of pitchers attacking early in the count.     Here are BBs by Month: April 63 May 73 June 82 July 89 August 8 (2 games) My thought was, they were starting the season attacking as the opposition pounds the zone to try and get ahead.  Now, as the opposition starts to expand the zone they look to be laying off and going back to a more patient approach.  It’s not a dramatic shift, but noticeable.  I think it’s challenging for players to make the adjustment in approach but to me they look like they are intentionally trying to make the pitcher work.    That made me go back and look at last year.    2023 BBs per month  April 100 May 94 June 64 July 74 August 74  September 97 After the big walk totals and patients ABs in April & May they took significantly fewer walks in June 2023.  Thats interesting as it’s coming off two huge BB total months.  The aggressive “walk less” approach continued in July & August before a return to patience in September.    Through 111 games : 2023 361 BB & 929 K = 2.57 K/BB rate  2024 328 BB & 906 K = 2.76 K/BB rate  2023 552 Runs on 129 HR 2024 560 Runs on on 172 HR So while it seems like a drastically different approach and change from last year, it’s pretty similar from a BB & K perspective.  The HR approach can’t be denied.  The HR totals have increased substantially. They are definitely hitting more solo HR and have fewer runners on base.   Down the stretch I look to them to continue the patient approach and blend the two skill sets of patience and power for maximum run output.  
    • I suppose @Frobby can take some solace is the fact that other than Basallo, there won't be ML Ready prospects in our system for a while. 
    • We have a young team going through a rough stretch.  I know that the outfield is solid and I know Gunnar is top notch and Mountcastle is fine.   Holliday and Mayo weren’t even here for most of the defensive issues.   Holliday should be fine.  The only real question on defense is how Mayo does.  Otherwise, growing pains and a slump.  People don’t notice a misplay here or there when the team wins. I have no sympathy for Kremer.  When you have the bases loaded and a very weak #8 hitter up, you don’t pitch to him like he’s Aaron Judge.  Twice he had to throw fastballs to get back in the count and Rocchio did nothing with them.   So he decides to throw a cutter 3-2.   That was the first run but it set the tone.
  • Popular Contributors