25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, so you let other organizations make the mistakes of drafting pitching and having it not work out.

Let your competitors make the mistakes.  In this case, the mistakes are drafting pitchers high in the draft, spending money on them and not having a lot of them work out.  Or spending several hundred million in free agency to have a guy get TJ.  

If you have to trade for a pitcher, you at least know the guy coming back is a proven commodity.  

This sounds good in theory, but guys like Fabian, Rhodes, Williams, Wagner, and Horvath aren’t exactly lighting the world on fire. So you’re spending money on college position players that also don’t appear that they’re going to work out. I’d like to see them take some risks. Take a high school position player or a college or high school pitcher after the first pick. Based on the recent track record, even if the pitcher doesn’t make it, you aren’t really losing anything.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

This sounds good in theory, but guys like Fabian, Rhodes, Williams, Wagner, and Horvath aren’t exactly lighting the world on fire. So you’re spending money on college position players that also don’t appear that they’re going to work out. I’d like to see them take some risks. Take a high school position player or a college or high school pitcher after the first pick. Based on the recent track record, even if the pitcher doesn’t make it, you aren’t really losing anything.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with it, I'd like to see us take more pitching too.  

If Elias won’t draft enough pitchers, where will he find the pitchers for our farm system ?   I mean , there’s only so many positional roster spots for position players.  Unless he using minor league free agent pitchers to augment each level of organization 

6 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

If Elias won’t draft enough pitchers, where will he find the pitchers for our farm system ?   I mean , there’s only so many positional roster spots for position players.  Unless he using minor league free agent pitchers to augment each level of organization 

He will draft plenty of pitchers by the time the draft ends.  Last year the O’s drafted 13, the year before that they drafted 12.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He will draft plenty of pitchers by the time the draft ends.  Last year the O’s drafted 13, the year before that they drafted 12.   

He drafted that many pitchers in last two drafts before tonight’s draft ?  It doesn’t seem that many , thought maybe five or six pitchers, oh well.  Time for me read up more on those two drafts. I believe you but will keep you posted, thanks 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Everyone here is looking for an impact arm though.  He has yet to draft one of those. 

I think the thing we have to keep remembering about this draft is that it’s not viewed as a good draft at all.

A guy like Honeycutt is all over the draft boards.  Ironically, O’Ferral seems to have the best and most consistent ranking…probably with the feeling that his floor is high.

My only complaint is, should they have taken Becht over O’Ferral?  That’s really the question.

But according to how these guys are ranked by “the experts”,  none of our picks were reaches.  

Edited by Sports Guy

My guess is the team saved somewhere around 500K in the first 3 rounds. A lot of these high school kids will be over slot early. I’m assuming Elias will take a few overslot pitchers later in the draft. He has done this before with Baumler, Showalter and Forret. Baumler career was ruined by injuries. I’m fine with the strategy but he needs to walk away with 3 of those guys. I imagine we may be underwhelmed with some college pitchers early on tonight to save some money.

• Upvote 1

I understand that crazy things can happen after the first 10 rounds, but the idea of going under slot so you can take an upside arm later still doesn’t sit right with me. We end up spending millions on round 2-4 players with mid profiles while we skip pitching that typically has better profiles than the over slot guys we get later.

I really don’t like where I stand on this because I hate to disagree with the smartest front office the Orioles have had in 40 years. But I do.