5 losses in a row. Baltimore...we have a problem. Thread revisit...O's have no way to win the WS unless...

OnlyOneOriole

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well now we have an answer as to why it's such a big deal everytime the O's lose. You're losing a bet dude.  You know as being a bettor that if you bet a team 162, you gotta ride the ups and downs.  

If you've bet us the last two years every game you're up a ton of money.  

Nope.  Believe it or not I would be much happier to have the Os win the WS and I never bet them at all than for me to have bet them to win the division for example, they do so, and not get out of round 1 of the playoffs.  Sure I make money.  But so what?

Money is just money.  Winning a WS is pure joy.  

I just made the point about me betting to show that I am not afraid to be critical and a realist even though I did put my money where my mouth is. 

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I thought the same as you up until recently after all the pitching injuries.   He isn't going to cost THAT much comparatively.  We still have a super low payroll even if we do sign him.  It isn't our money.   He is a pretty steady influence on the team.  Sign him for 3 years and he is still only 32 when the contract ends.  I don't see anything wrong with that.

But most importantly, the guys that I thought might replace AS next year, like Heston for example? IMO need to be used to trade for something much more important.....pitching. 

Why not trade the guy with the expiring contract? They control Kjerstad for six years and he'll be in his prime. AS will likely decline before the contract is up AND he is a proven ML hitter who a contending team will value a lot more than Kjerstad in a playoff stretch run. 

And now, for the chorus of boos from the peanut gallery.

And again, I like Santander, but I like the idea of winning a WS title even more. Santander gets them a frontline starter without depleting the farm. Just an idea, and maybe it doesn't get the guy they need to move the needle, but if I'm calling the shots he's not off the table for the right guy.

And the "it's not my money" line is a weak argument. It's someone's money and last checked their market hasn't changed. The bottom line is a consideration and I doubt Elias has a blank check from Rubinstein.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Why not trade the guy with the expiring contract? They control Kjerstad for six years and he'll be in his prime. AS will likely decline before the contract is up AND he is a proven ML hitter who a contending team will value a lot more than Kjerstad in a playoff stretch run. 

And now, for the chorus of boos from the peanut gallery.

And again, I like Santander, but I like the idea of winning a WS title even more. Santander gets them a frontline starter without depleting the farm. Just an idea, and maybe it doesn't get the guy they need to move the needle, but if I'm calling the shots he's not off the table for the right guy.

And the "it's not my money" line is a weak argument. It's someone's money and last checked their market hasn't changed. The bottom line is a consideration and I doubt Elias has a blank check from Rubinstein.

Well see there is a big flaw in your plan.  No one is going to trade diddly squat for AS.  Especially for a front line starter.   Just will never happen.  A team doesn't have to trade for him because they can just sign him in 6 months.  Not to mention his age, upcoming contract status as a free agent etc.

He is a very good player imo but guys like him are not usually traded for much.  But he is and can be very valuable to the Os for another 3 years. 

Teams that trade front line pitchers almost always do so for a plethora of cheap, very controllable, high ceiling players.  That way they get players for a long time and if 1 or 2 turn out great?  They are happy. 

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

imo

Yup, my plan is flawed.

5 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Teams that trade front line pitchers almost always do so for a plethora of cheap, very controllable, high ceiling players. 

Unlesssssss, they are a contending team with a need for more offense from a proven ML hitter with power. Of course, that never has happened or will happen, right?

52 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yup, my plan is flawed.

Unlesssssss, they are a contending team with a need for more offense from a proven ML hitter with power. Of course, that never has happened or will happen, right?

I understand but again a contending team is not going to trade a good pitcher for someone who can leave the team end of year. 

17 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I never said that.  I say MAY not make the playoffs but probably will.

Just stop. 

Here are a few things you said.  They’re on the record.  No one is perfect.  

“We have had an easy schedule starting out.  At home against 2 terrible teams, and yet this team has lost all of its mojo.  They are dead.

If and when we lose the division or getting into the playoffs by a few games?  Remember these first 30 games when management decided to get cute and go for profit over wins.”

Edited April 3 by OnlyOneOriole. (Orioles go 19-11)

“And that team still didn't win anything.  The playoffs are a different animal.  Right now we are a good team playing above our water line.  But I sense we are starting to fade and again....that is ok.  It is great experience for the coming years.”

August 12, 2023 (note O’s finish 29-16)

“This team is going to struggle to make the playoffs.  Major fade out coming up.  I got ridiculed for saying this in August but I even believe this more today.”

September 14, 2023  (note. O’s go 10-6)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Here are a few things you said.  They’re on the record.  No one is perfect.  

“We have had an easy schedule starting out.  At home against 2 terrible teams, and yet this team has lost all of its mojo.  They are dead.

If and when we lose the division or getting into the playoffs by a few games?  Remember these first 30 games when management decided to get cute and go for profit over wins.”

Edited April 3 by OnlyOneOriole. (Orioles go 19-11)

“And that team still didn't win anything.  The playoffs are a different animal.  Right now we are a good team playing above our water line.  But I sense we are starting to fade and again....that is ok.  It is great experience for the coming years.”

August 12, 2023 (note O’s finish 29-16)

“This team is going to struggle to make the playoffs.  Major fade out coming up.  I got ridiculed for saying this in August but I even believe this more today.”

Never deny what you said, RZNJ always has the receipts.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

For the record, we were 91-55 at that time.

Other than the Orioles, only 1 other AL playoff team finished the 2023 season with more than 90 wins (TB).

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Never deny what you said, RZNJ always has the receipts.

Oriole Hangout has the receipts.  You just have to find them.   BTW, he never said they wouldn’t make the playoffs but he “sensed a fade” in August and said they “would struggle to make the playoffs” in September and said the current team was “dead” on April 3.  They then proceeded onto a 49-25 record until the 5 game losing streak.   Pretty good for a dead team.

@OnlyOneOriole I actually respect your baseball opinions.  Like the rest of us you’re way off sometimes.   

On 6/25/2024 at 9:48 PM, OnlyOneOriole said:

I do not write this post to sound ultra one way or the other.    In other words I am an not an extremist.  I am however a realist. 

The facts are this.   The Os have lost 5 in a row and have lost 3 of their starting 5 pitchers.  Add on top of that their top middle reliever and maybe the best closer in baseball.  All since last August or so.

The injuries have added up and added up.  And trust me Jackson Holliday is not coming to save the day. 

IMO the Os need to trade at a minimum Jackson Holliday, Heston, and another decent prospect from AA. 

All for pitching.  And by pitching I mean a Big time starter under control for at least 2 or 3 years and 1 if not 2 relievers.

Because as the Os are situated now?  

I will say it again, just like I said last YEAR.....when I was proven right. 

The Os have no chance to win the ALCS, much less the WS, with the team they have.    NOW.

Before the pitching injuries?  Yes. I would have said they can.  I mean I love Means.  I love Bradish.  I love FB.  All 3 are potential all stars.  And add in the other injuries?

We are screwed unless we make trades. 

I would start with signing Trevor Bauer.  He throws 97 and is hungry.  Go from there.

Remember when the Texas Rangers lost 8 in a row last year (August 16 - 25) and went on to win the World Series?  

6 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

We have a resident skunk here on the hill. Named it Flower but not sure of sex. Aint going to find out either. One thing we don't do, is poke it. Just saying. More advice from an OLD OHer.

Are you going to PM the secret decoder?