Couple of minor league deals: Niko Goodrum and Burch Smith

interloper

7 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

But are we getting 2017 Niko or 2022 Niko?  That is the question.  

I'm guessing that without a major technological breakthrough we're getting the 2024 version. Which, in the absence of other information, is his career averages with a bit of age-related decline thrown in. I'm assuming the year-to-year variation we see in his record is mostly random noise overlaid on his basic talent level.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

I'm personally more intrigued by Smith than Goodrum. Intrigued is probably too strong a word, but yeah.

Same; injuries, different organizations, age/experience, etc. Weird numbers in Miami this year; only gave up 1 HR in 25 Appearances but 11.8 Hits per 9? His stuff seems to keep the ball in the park not only this year, but from his time overseas and even dating back to his time with Oakland. Might be a sleeper find if they can help him attack hitters a better way. Splits show the Lefties hit him hard

Edited by ScGO's

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Grow the bats, buy (or trade for) the arms.
    • A little young? He’s like 3 or 4 years younger than the average AA player. He has  immense power, high end exit velo and other statcast type numbers, can stay at C (maybe not full time), cannon arm behind the plate, controllable talent that is likely easy to extend and did we mention his age? His MiL profile is up there with HOF level guys and guys who are some of the best young players in the game right now.
    • June 2024 17-12 record 9-6 at home 8-6 on the road 9-4 vs. AL East 3-4 in one-run games 1-1 in extra innings Batting 5.62 runs per game was 2nd in the AL .273 BA was 4th .333  OBP was 3rd .513 SLG was 1st .847 OPS was 1st 2.07 HR/game was 1st .252/.293/.487 with RISP (263 PA, 238 AB, 60 H, 77 TOB, 116 TB) Pitching 3.73 ERA was 3rd in the AL 4.21 runs allowed per game was 5th 1.03 HR/game was best in the AL 4.03 starters' ERA was 4th 5.54 IP/Start was 3rd 3.23 bullpen ERA was 2nd 8 saves was tied for 5th  11 save opportunities  3 blown saves  Defense 15 unearned runs was second-worst in the AL 0.52  errors per game (15 errors)  +2.8 fangraphs defense  +0.0 UZR (+0.2 OF, -0.2 IF) +0 OAA (+3 OF, -3 IF) -3 Rtot +14 Rdrs  Cumulative through June Batting 5.21 runs per game was 1st in the AL .255 BA was 2nd .316  OBP was 6th .462 SLG was 1st .778 OPS was 1st 1.65 HR/game was 1st .263/.319/.471 with RISP (781 PA, 684 AB, 180 H, 248 TOB, 322 TB) ( .790 OPS with RISP was 4th in the AL) Pitching 3.44 ERA was 1st in the AL 3.88 runs allowed per game was 3rd 0.94 HR/game was 2nd lowest 3.36 starters' ERA was 1st 5.54 IP/Start was 3rd 3.56 bullpen ERA was 4th 27 saves was 2nd 41 save opportunities was 2nd 14 blown saves was 4th most Defense 37 unearned runs was tied for 10th fewest in the AL 0.47 errors per game (39 errors) was 4th fewest +12.2  fangraphs defense was 6th best in the AL +13.2 UZR was best in the AL (+2.5 OF, +10.7 IF) +11 OAA was 6th (+9 OF, +2 IF) +10 Rtot was 8th +33 Rdrs was 5th Conclusion:  Both the offense and the pitching were excellent in June, against mostly tough competition.   The offense was highlighted by outrageous homer production (2.07 per game), but the team BA and OBP also were very good, so it wasn't only a power show.   If there's any negative here, it's that the team didn't produce a good OBP in RISP situations (.293), though the .252 BA was decent and the slugging (.487) in RISP situations was outstanding.  On the pitching side, both the starters and the bullpen performed well, which was a big accomplishment considering the recent injuries and the fact that the team had only one off-day all month.  Probably the biggest downer was that the team gave up 15 unearned runs.   The overall defensive numbers were decent but it seems the mistakes came at inopportune times, or the pitchers didn't do a great job of minimizing damage after defensive miscues.  Not surprisingly, 10 of the 15 unearned runs came in Orioles losses, including three games where the loss margin was equal to or less than the number of unearned runs the O's allowed.  Still, it was a very good team performance in what was arguably the toughest monthly schedule we will face all year.  
    • Agreed.  But Mayo's elite power and contact skills are a rare combination.
    • Even taking out how impressive he's been especially considering his aga in each level, there really doesn't seem to be a pitcher available that would justify trading him.    The team at the ML level will be successful because of players like him rather than big free agent deals.
    • HEY! I love this! let me explain: I love underdog stories. I love a guy who comes out of nowhere, after a long slog that would have defeated lesser men, and is successful. Maybe not the Risen Savior, but successful for a while. I was so enthusiastic about him I almost got a Watkins jersey  to pair with my Caleb Joseph jersey. When he was designated the first time, I lamented, but someone here said, “He has a baseball reference page, and not many people do.” That settled me down. It’s the kind of thing that Spenser could tell the kids he was coaching at school, and his own kids, and that was fine. But he came back and did well. His WAR is lousy, but consider this: I saved this photo because I was going to print it and send it to Spenser with a note telling him not to worry, sometimes you’re good and it doesn’t work out anyway. I never got around to it, but I saved the photo because it’s illustrative that bad results don’t necessarily mean bad performance. Keep trying, never give up, sometimes your best IS good enough, but they don't/won’t recognize it. I don’t think he will come back; he had one start last year for the As and got blasted, but I wish him well, and I hope he does get another chance before he goes to the high school team that has been waiting for him for a few years. And he will always have that BBR page. He made a few bucks, he was the 22,436th debut in history, and he’ll always have that, too. God bless him. I haven’t yet read the other comments, but thanks for the post.
    • I know he's been mentioned repeatedly as untouchable and he's very highly regarded. I get all that. But why exactly? I know he's still a little young for AA, but do his numbers in the minors thus far scream untouchable? He's a big kid - is he elite defensively behind the plate? Is he expected to put up Frank Thomas type numbers some day? Just thinking out loud...don't kill me. But with Adley locked up for 3 years beyond this year and with Mayo looking like a nice, studly 1b option (at least imo), along with the other young bats that we have, where exactly does he fit in the next year or two? Also, we literally have no rotation next year. GRod (the #3 to start 2024) becomes the ace with who behind him? If Basallo is a piece that gets the Orioles an ace with years of control, how do they say no?  
  • Popular Contributors