6/30 vs Texas Rangers

Morgan423

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It definitely does feel that way the offspeed pitchers and junk ballers shutdown this lineup regularly.

Some numbers from baseball reference.   They break down pitchers into power pitchers, finesse pitchers, and averege power/finesse pitchers.   So 3 categories.

Orioles:

• vs power pitchers:  .258/.332/.495/.827
  • vs avg P/F pitchers:  .232/.304/.452/.756
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .267/.317/,458/.776

So from those numbers alone, we have the best OPS vs power pitchers, but best average and not a bad OPS vs finesse pitchers, and are worse against guys in the middle.   Of course to really judge the Orioles, you need to know how MLB teams in general do vs the different types.   For example, it's not surprising that we have a lower onbase vs finesse pitchers even though our average is good.   If there's one thing finesse pitchers are good at, it's not walking people.   So everyone should walk less vs finesse pitchers.

So let's look at the overall MLB #s vs the 3 categories:

MLB as a whole

• vs power pitchers:  .222/.308/.364/.672
  • vs avge P/F pitchers:  .236/.305/.385/.690
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .257/.318/.415/.733

OK, so in general, major league teams do better vs finesse pitchers than vs power pitchers.  

The Orioles appear to be a bit the opposite.  We have our highest average, onbase, slugging, and OPS vs power pitchers among the three categories.

So based on what we can conclude from the BB-REF stats, the Orioles skew a bit differently than most teams.   We are exceptionally good vs power pitchers.   It's worse noting that we are still better than the MLB average vs finesse pitchers... but that is because our offense is so damn good overall that even when we drop off vs finesse pitchers and the rest of MLB gets a bit better vs them, we are still better.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

We are 5-6 on Tuesdays this year.   Seems like we have a bigger Tuesday negative trend than our series-ending trend.    We really need to address this.

Steve-that's a trend.  It means absolutely nothing much as the stat I originally quoted.  But it's not "cherry picking" or mis-applying the word trend.  It's a decent sample size used to identify a trend which you happen to disagree with but I don't think I deserve to be attacked the way I was.  Going back and editing his post after responding and adding that much is a low blow. Why are you busting my balls over such an innocuos statement that you have proven to be suspect???

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is a mess in the field recently after being rock solid before. 

He hasn’t been quite the same since the Soto collision. They made reference the other night that his knee is still bothering him from that hit.

I wonder if it would be prudent to put him on the IL and give him 10 days off and bring him back right before the AS if he makes the team or right after it if he doesn’t. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't care about the loss, I hate the run differential hit though heh.

I'd like to see us get that 61st June HR and have only one game in the entire month where we didn't hit a HR.

And I'd like Gunar to bat again to try to extend his 36 game onbase streak.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Some numbers from baseball reference.   They break down pitchers into power pitchers, finesse pitchers, and averege power/finesse pitchers.   So 3 categories.

Orioles:

• vs power pitchers:  .258/.332/.495/.827
  • vs avg P/F pitchers:  .232/.304/.452/.756
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .267/.317/,458/.776

So from those numbers alone, we have the best OPS vs power pitchers, but best average and not a bad OPS vs finesse pitchers, and are worse against guys in the middle.   Of course to really judge the Orioles, you need to know how MLB teams in general do vs the different types.   For example, it's not surprising that we have a lower onbase vs finesse pitchers even though our average is good.   If there's one thing finesse pitchers are good at, it's not walking people.   So everyone should walk less vs finesse pitchers.

So let's look at the overall MLB #s vs the 3 categories:

MLB as a whole

• vs power pitchers:  .222/.308/.364/.672
  • vs avge P/F pitchers:  .236/.305/.385/.690
  • vs finesse pitchers:  .257/.318/.415/.733

OK, so in general, major league teams do better vs finesse pitchers than vs power pitchers.  

The Orioles appear to be a bit the opposite.  We have our highest average, onbase, slugging, and OPS vs power pitchers among the three categories.

So based on what we can conclude from the BB-REF stats, the Orioles skew a bit differently than most teams.   We are exceptionally good vs power pitchers.   It's worse noting that we are still better than the MLB average vs finesse pitchers... but that is because our offense is so damn good overall that even when we drop off vs finesse pitchers and the rest of MLB gets a bit better vs them, we are still better.

Thanks so there is something to it, but this offense is still better than most. It's impossible for any team to score 5+ runs every game and that wouldn't have mattered tonight. Rangers are destroying Orioles pitching.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He hasn’t been quite the same since the Soto collision. They made reference the other night that his knee is still bothering him from that hit.

I wonder if it would be prudent to put him on the IL and give him 10 days off and bring him back right before the AS if he makes the team or right after it if he doesn’t. 

He hurt his hip in the Soto collision. He hurt his knee admiring a HR that wasn't and went into 3rd standing up after trying to turn the jets on and subsequently made the 3rd out at 3rd base.

Edited by Malike
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles could call up Mayo and plug him at 3B or bring up Norby. Give Westburg 10 days to get right.

• Like 2