An evening spent with Scott Boras

Roy Firestone

I love the Hubris.

I WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED.

Dude, he would have fired you.

Ohtani knew exactly what he was doing.  He knew he could have got more up front money, he didn't want up front money.

I do agree that it was a great deal for the Dodgers and said it at the time.

And Scott....just an FYI, Ohtani's contract isn't worth 700M, it's closer to half that.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

I have never had any problem with Scott Boras.   We’ll see how he does with Rubenstein and Elias, but it’s not his job to facilitate dynasty-building by the Orioles.  His job is to get the best deal for his clients, considering the clients’ objectives.   

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have never had any problem with Scott Boras.   We’ll see how he does with Rubenstein and Elias, but it’s not his job to facilitate dynasty-building by the Orioles.  His job is to get the best deal for his clients, considering the clients’ objectives.   

I have limited issues with Boras.

I do think he took advantage of someone in decline with the Davis deal.

I also don't like how he'll let's say experiment with someone like Carter Stewart.  He also seems to let his less coveted clients hang in the breeze some years. 

I think he's a great agent if you are one of the top players in a given FA class.

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I love the Hubris.

I WOULD NOT HAVE ALLOWED.

Dude, he would have fired you.

Ohtani knew exactly what he was doing.  He knew he could have got more up front money, he didn't want up front money.

I do agree that it was a great deal for the Dodgers and said it at the time.

And Scott....just an FYI, Ohtani's contract isn't worth 700M, it's closer to half that.

I see this sentiment tossed around here when the topic of agents and/or Boras comes around, and I just laugh. Nobody is firing Scott Boras to sign the contract they want to sign. I'm sure players have fired him before for numerous reasons, but when push comes to shove, I'm sure he's never actually stood in the way of a player signing a deal they are comfortable signing. 

7 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I see this sentiment tossed around here when the topic of agents and/or Boras comes around, and I just laugh. Nobody is firing Scott Boras to sign the contract they want to sign. I'm sure players have fired him before for numerous reasons, but when push comes to shove, I'm sure he's never actually stood in the way of a player signing a deal they are comfortable signing. 

Right, because that "I would not have allowed" is a load of crap.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for sharing this.

My only quibble is you failed to point out that Rubenstein is only one of several billionaires in the Orioles new ownership group.  Boras has every reason to be happy with this particular changing of the guard.  That said, I don't expect Elias to allow himself to be taken advantage of, and I'll be very surprised if Boras tries to bypass him going forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Thanks for sharing this.

My only quibble is you failed to point out that Rubenstein is only one of several billionaires in the Orioles new ownership group.  Boras has every reason to be happy with this particular changing of the guard.  That said, I don't expect Elias to allow himself to be taken advantage of, and I'll be very surprised if Boras tries to bypass him going forward.

That's an intriguing nexus of decision-making going forward: Elias - Rubenstein + the rest of the ownership group. I'm assuming Rubenstein trusts Elias with the baseball decisions; yet with contracts coming up these turn back to how much the owners will front him. I wonder if anyone here has more insight/reporting to share on that balance of power in these upcoming decisions (beginning probably with the trade deadline).

No issues with Boras other than at times his hubris has hurt his clients.  He definitely hurt Montgomery and Snell. He likely cost them millions of dollars as they both were coming off career years and both will be older and coming off much worse years when it comes time for their next contracts. 

I generally thought Boras was off his rails earlier in my life, but as the sport's finances have become more transparent I think it's become clear that he has some valid points and there seems to be a concerted effort by MLB ownership groups to make sure his clients don't get paid to reduce his influence in the sport.  MLB player salaries as a percentage of publicly known revenue has been shrinking for a while, and are quite a bit less than the NFL right now.  This is something that could have gotten fixed in the last CBA but the players unwilling to strike, and they're also toeing a hard line against a salary cap (even though the luxury tax has effectively capped salaries for the richest teams) and simultaneously aren't advocating for a salary floor (which allows teams like the A's and 2019-2021 Orioles to field major league teams for peanuts.)  I agree with the take that Shohei's deal was a pretty stark underpay given the amount of money deferred.  It's possible that the players don't really care about getting richer at the top end, so they're just content taking below-market deals like this one.

Based on what we know about MLB teams, pretty much every team can support a payroll in the 120 million range strictly on revenue sharing money and national TV deals, so the fact that 11 teams are south of that number would be concerning if I were a sports agent looking to maximize my client's paychecks.

5 minutes ago, now said:

That's an intriguing nexus of decision-making going forward: Elias - Rubenstein + the rest of the ownership group. I'm assuming Rubenstein trusts Elias with the baseball decisions; yet with contracts coming up these turn back to how much the owners will front him. I wonder if anyone here has more insight/reporting to share on that balance of power in these upcoming decisions (beginning probably with the trade deadline).

The minute Boras, or any agent, successfully does an end-around of any Orioles GM the the minute I start looking for a more rewarding obsession.