George Kirby, the guy pitching against us tonight...could make an interesting option for the the Orioles..

Roy Firestone

1 hour ago, Allan Bryant said:

If that’s the case, how would Seattle acquire the offense bats they need ?

Allan, there’s 28 other teams out there. Baltimore and Seattle have complementary needs, but they cannot fill ours.

Their top 20 prospects list contains five pitchers, none higher than #12,and always serious question marks. They aren’t going to trade pitching, except possibly for better pitching.

Our best bet remains to deal with Oakland, because we have plenty of 45 to 50 level prospects who could help them recharge their farm and be ready for a good season in ‘26.

Edited by Philip

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Allan, there’s 28 other teams out there. Baltimore and Seattle have complementary needs, but they cannot fill ours.

Their top 20 prospects list contains five pitchers, none higher than #12,and always serious question marks. They aren’t going to trade pitching, except possibly for better pitching.

Our best bet remains to deal with Oakland, because we have plenty of 45 to 50 level prospects who could help them recharge their farm and be ready for a good season in ‘26.

Philip , I get your point about Seattle not trading ANY pitching due to weak pitching in their farm system . They can’t match or fit our pitching needs , etc . All that I understand . 
My question pertains only about Seattle , not the Orioles .  Say you’re the GM of Seattle, how or what would you do to upgrade your offensive bats ?   What trade assets do you have to offer to other teams ? 

2 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

Philip , I get your point about Seattle not trading ANY pitching due to weak pitching in their farm system . They can’t match or fit our pitching needs , etc . All that I understand . 
My question pertains only about Seattle , not the Orioles .  Say you’re the GM of Seattle, how or what would you do to upgrade your offensive bats ?   What trade assets do you have to offer to other teams ? 

I don’t think Seattle has anything to trade at this time. They are kind of screwed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So much for Kirby. 

@Roy Firestone is really outdoing himself this year.  Clearly our #1 fan.  

I mean he pitched well enough to win against a great lineup. If the Mariners had a lick of offense we’d be talking about how great he is. 

That said, I have attitude concerns with him, not that the Mariners are gonna trade him or anything. 

38 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I mean he pitched well enough to win against a great lineup. If the Mariners had a lick of offense we’d be talking about how great he is. 

We don’t say “great lineup” enough around here.  When a pitcher holds the Orioles to 2 runs in 6.1 innings, he’s done a terrific job.  Wake up and smell the roses, we have the best offense in baseball.  It’s not an illusion.   Kirby was great yesterday and we beat him.  Great job.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t say “great lineup” enough around here.  When a pitcher holds the Orioles to 2 runs in 6.1 innings, he’s done a terrific job.  Wake up and smell the roses, we have the best offense in baseball.  It’s not an illusion.   Kirby was great yesterday and we beat him.  Great job.

Yea Kirby is one of the best in baseball. Palmer kept talking about how good the fastball is and it’s not like he’s throwing 97-100 either.

His command is so good.

I know all pitchers are fragile but he’s probably the best pitcher I worry least about in terms of an injury.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s not true.

They are in playoff position so it’s unlikely they will trade anyone from their 26. If they did, it would only be someone we don’t need, except possibly Cal Raleigh, but I doubt backup catcher is a huge need for the O’s, even though Raleigh would be a big upgrade.

It is HIGHLY unlikely Seattle will trade any pitching, simply because they are looking for relief pitching themselves. 

Their prospect list is barren of any immediate pitching help. Their highest ranked arm is #12 and has an 45 FV. Most of their pitching prospects are years away.

Whether they have anything to trade away is of course arguable, but even though we have offense they desperately need, they have nothing to trade that we can use and they are firmly retaining all their significant pitching. So despite your eloquent rebuttal, my point stands.

Seattle will probably try to get Brent Rooker or someone like that.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

They are in playoff position so it’s unlikely they will trade anyone from their 26. If they did, it would only be someone we don’t need, except possibly Cal Raleigh, but I doubt backup catcher is a huge need for the O’s, even though Raleigh would be a big upgrade.

It is HIGHLY unlikely Seattle will trade any pitching, simply because they are looking for relief pitching themselves. 

Their prospect list is barren of any immediate pitching help. Their highest ranked arm is #12 and has an 45 FV. Most of their pitching prospects are years away.

Whether they have anything to trade away is of course arguable, but even though we have offense they desperately need, they have nothing to trade that we can use and they are firmly retaining all their significant pitching. So despite your eloquent rebuttal, my point stands.

Seattle will probably try to get Brent Rooker or someone like that.

They can trade one of Miller, Woo or Hancock and get back a good bat.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They can trade one of Miller, Woo or Hancock and get back a good bat.

Hancock has an injury history, mediocre stats, a blue page at baseball Savant, and wasn’t considered superior to Mike Baumann. Given their need for relief pitching, it is telling that they don’t have him on the big club.

Woo is injured(though it’s a leg injury)but he’s only thrown 8starts/40 innings, about half what you’d expect from a starter so far. His trade value is diminished, so he’s probably more valuable to keep. When he comes back, the Mariners will need him in the pen, where another injury will have less impact. I’d love to get him, but the Ms keep him.

Bryce Miller isn’t going anywhere. He's not a FA til 2030, plus, He’s starting tonight. Seattle isn’t going to deal from their rotation, especially someone as young as Miller.

They may trade him, but only for an overpay, which ME won’t do.

IMG_1743.jpeg

Edited by Philip

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Hancock has an injury history, mediocre stats, a blue page at baseball Savant, and wasn’t considered superior to Mike Baumann. Given their need for relief pitching, it is telling that they don’t have him on the big club.

Woo is injured(though it’s a leg injury)but he’s only thrown 8starts/40 innings, about half what you’d expect from a starter so far. His trade value is diminished, so he’s probably more valuable to keep. When he comes back, the Mariners will need him in the pen, where another injury will have less impact. I’d love to get him, but the Ms keep him.

Bryce Miller isn’t going anywhere. He's not a FA til 2030, plus, He’s starting tonight. Seattle isn’t going to deal from their rotation, especially someone as young as Miller.

They may trade him, but only for an overpay, which ME won’t do.

IMG_1743.jpeg

Hancock and Baumann have absolutely zero to do with each other.

They are winning without Woo. They won’t get an elite bat for him but a Mounty or Santander type guy?  Yea they could do that. Whether they will or not remains to be seen but they could get a guy like that and another guy and they would be huge for their offense. 

They have plenty to trade to get your 100ish wRC+ type guys.

The most pertinent question in this discussion is what Seattle is willing to pay for a worthwhile return. The Orioles are not the only team with offense for sale.

Given the choice, Seattle would much rather send prospects from their top 20 list, instead of guys from their active roster that just goes without saying.

Therefore, it makes sense they would rather deal with Oakland, White Sox or Marlins, because the coin would be different.

If we make any meaningful acquisition, it will only be from a team that is not in playoff contention.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Hancock and Baumann have absolutely zero to do with each other.

They are winning without Woo. They won’t get an elite bat for him but a Mounty or Santander type guy?  Yea they could do that. Whether they will or not remains to be seen but they could get a guy like that and another guy and they would be huge for their offense. 

They have plenty to trade to get your 100ish wRC+ type guys.

I wasn’t suggesting they were directly comparable, but Baumann is taking up a spot that would be Hancock’s. The pen guys they have now are all preferable to Hancock or he’d be up and they’d be down. That is obvious. For whatever reason, most likely because he is terrible, they want Hancock at AAA.

He might be a throw in in a trade but no way would he be a 1 for 1.

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

I wasn’t suggesting they were directly comparable, but Baumann is taking up a spot that would be Hancock’s. The pen guys they have now are all preferable to Hancock or he’d be up and they’d be down. That is obvious. For whatever reason, most likely because he is terrible, they want Hancock at AAA.

He might be a throw in in a trade but no way would he be a 1 for 1.

Hancock isn’t a reliever..he’s a starter and a highly rated one (or he was when eligible)

They aren’t going to put him in the pen when they want him to continue to start.