Hypothetical trade for Yates

Could the Rangers be interested in Mountcastle?

Nate Lowe has a good BA/OBP but he has a sub 400 slugging and is likely going to be in the 10+M range next year. He seems like a prime candidate for a non tender.

Texas, if they sell, isn’t a team that’s going to rebuild but they certainly could sell off pieces that are free agents, like Yates and Scherzer but they only have so many long term holes.  First base could be one of those holes though.

Could we have something built around Mounty/Scherzer/Yates? 

He is an experienced closer and appears to have his good stuff this year. I would think it will take quite a bit more than Pham. In principle, Yates is a good fit and Yates for a second tier prospect is a good framework for a deal. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nate Lowe has a good BA/OBP but he has a sub 400 slugging and is likely going to be in the 10+M range next year. He seems like a prime candidate for a non tender.

Texas, if they sell, isn’t a team that’s going to rebuild but they certainly could sell off pieces that are free agents, like Yates and Scherzer but they only have so many long term holes.  First base could be one of those holes though.

Someone suddenly has a one-track mind about getting rid of Mountcastle in a deadline deal.  

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Fansided is so bad.

Rangers could easily get a better prospect than that but I do like Yates as one of the BP targets.

I make that trade immediately if I'm Elias, but I also see the Rangers demanding a better prospect in return. Get Yates and another reliever solves much of the issues with the bullpen.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we’ve talked about this, but I would love to replace James McCann with Jonah Heim. Jonah Hime is a gold glove winner and even though he’s having a really bad offensive year compared to last year, he’s worlds better than McCann and would make it much easier to rest Adley more often. He has already been mentioned as a non-tender candidate because he’s apparently expecting a significant raise despite his mediocre season. Lowe might be as well, but it’s probably doubtful that they would move him now.

The Rangers, as current champs, are going to take a huge PR hit if they trade anybody but their departing free agents.

Half of their top 20 prospects are pitchers, but most have only 40-45 future values.

All of their outfielders are scuffling right now, but they are all really good so I doubt they would make any outfield trades, and just hope for some improvement from their guys.

I would love to get Robertson and Yates, and I wouldn’t mind Scherzer either. But we don’t have anybody they really need.

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I can’t see them moving anyone from the ML team, except maybe Hays or Urias, in a deadline deal. Maybe move Mountcastle in the off-season. 

6 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

I think we’ve talked about this, but I would love to replace James McCann with Jonah Heim. Jonah Hime is a gold glove winner and even though he’s having a really bad offensive year compared to last year, he’s worlds better than McCann and would make it much easier to rest Adley more often. He has already been mentioned as a non-tender candidate because he’s apparently expecting a significant raise despite his mediocre season. Lowe might be as well, but it’s probably doubtful that they would move him now.

The Rangers, as current champs, are going to take a huge PR hit if they trade anybody but their departing free agents.

Half of their top 20 prospects are pitchers, but most have only 40-45 future values.

All of their outfielders are scuffling right now, but they are all really good so I doubt they would make any outfield trades, and just hope for some improvement from their guys.

I would love to get Robertson and Yates, and I wouldn’t mind Scherzer either. But we don’t have anybody they really need.

Even if Heim were available, don’t you think a team that really needs a catcher is more likely to offer a better deal. 

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I can’t see them moving anyone from the ML team, except maybe Hays or Urias, in a deadline deal. Maybe move Mountcastle in the off-season. 

I tend to agree. Mounty potentially represents a player we could use to bring back stuff we need while not giving up more and more MiL pieces.

My thought is that we only have so many bullets to fire off. Now, you never know how teams feel about our players but if we are rightfully keeping our top 3 plus any young player on the ML team, we start to run out of ammo.

As has been discussed, the Os system starts to thin out a little and once you have dealt Norby, Stowers and Beavers, the options start to dry up fast.

So, how else can you do it? Well, with the extra WC and so many more teams involved, I personally believe you will start to see more contender/contender trades. Now, in this case Texas isn’t a contender but they think they will be next year and first base is a potential hole.

The Os, who have been playing Mayo at first recently, have other first base options and Mounty is a guy who is likely not here next year.

So for me, he makes sense to shop if you get the right guys for him. Im Not sure I trade him for guys who can’t help this year or not, it would depend on the trade but if Mounty can be the key (only?) piece in getting Yates/LeClerg/Robertson and Scherzer, I’m all on board for that. I think that makes us a better team. 

Now, if we can use MiLers to do that and we have enough left to make other moves, that’s fine too.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I tend to agree. Mounty potentially represents a player we could use to bring back stuff we need while not giving up more and more MiL pieces.

My thought is that we only have so many bullets to fire off. Now, you never know how teams feel about our players but if we are rightfully keeping our top 3 plus any young player on the ML team, we start to run out of ammo.

As has been discussed, the Os system starts to thin out a little and once you have dealt Norby, Stowers and Beavers, the options start to dry up fast.

So, how else can you do it? Well, with the extra WC and so many more teams involved, I personally believe you will start to see more contender/contender trades. Now, in this case Texas isn’t a contender but they think they will be next year and first base is a potential hole.

The Os, who have been playing Mayo at first recently, have first base options and Mounty is a guy who is likely not here next year.

So for me, he makes sense to shop if you get the right guys for him. Im Not sure I trade him for guys who can’t help this year or not, it would depend on the trade but if Mounty can be the key (only?) piece in getting Yates/LeClerg/Robertson and Scherzer, I’m all on board for that. I think that makes us a better team. 

Now, if we can use MiLers to do that and we have enough left to make other moves, that’s fine too.

That’s a fair plan for trading Mounty. I wouldn’t hesitate to include him if the other team saw him as enough to replace someone like Norby in a package. But, given how this team is afraid of rookie playing time, I can’t see them putting Mayo in a spot where they’d have to rely on him against LHP. 

Looking at last year we had some trades for high profile relievers. 

• Paul Sewald cost the Diamondbacks INF Josh Rojas (MLB), OF/1B Dominic Canzone (#19) and INF Ryan Bliss (#29).
  • David Robertson cost the Marlins INF Marco Vargas (#18) and C Ronald Hernandez (#21).
  • Jordan Hicks cost the Blue Jays RHP Sem Robberse (#7) and RHP Adam Kloffenstein (NR).
  • Kendall Graveman cost the Astros C Korey Lee (#7).
  • Aroldis Chapman cost the Rangers LHP Cole Ragans (MLB - whoops) and OF Roni Cabrera (NR).
  • Brad Hand cost the Braves RHP Alec Barger (NR) though Hand was not having a good season.

Absolutely not trading Mountcastle for a rental relief pitcher, that's bizarre.

• Thanks 2