Who will pay Burnes $400M this offseason?

psagawa

The only wildcard in this discussion is that we don’t know how new ownership will spend. If it were still Angelos, it’s an automatic absolute certainty that Burnes is gone. With Rubenstein…I guess we’ll see. This team needs SP, has room in the payroll, and if Burnes is to be believed about wanting to play for a winner, they have a well built team for the foreseeable future that should continue to contend.

Elias has been shown to be risk averse and putting all your money in one basket is pretty risky. I think he’d be more likely to target multiple mid-rotation guys than one top of the rotation guy. Especially when you consider that ostensibly there could be up to 4 open spots in the rotation next year. Unless you want to guarantee spots to the back end and unproven starters on hand…but that’s a different subject altogether.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m on record: 7/$252 mm, $36 mm AAV.  Cole got that AAV for 9 years, when he was two years younger than Burnes will be as a FA.  So subtract the two extra years.  

Burnes is the next guy…he should get a higher AAV if he continues to pitch well this year and stays healthy.

6-7 years and 38-40M is my prediction.

9 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Should Rubinstein & Elias succeed in keeping Burnes in Orioles uniform, it would send a message to fans , teammates and players in rest of baseball that the Orioles mean business 

I think back to back great seasons is already sending that message.

• Upvote 1

If we win a World Series this year there will be some increased pressure to bring Burnes back. If Burns’s gets a mega deal 300+M then I certainly understand letting him walk but if it’s say 6 or less years less than 225M then with our minimum payroll we should be in on that imo 

• Upvote 2

Burnes has been very good, but he has seldom dominated.  He hasn’t pitched 8 innings once.  I know that the days of complete games are over but I would love our true ace to pitch a little deeper occasionally and be a bit more dominant at times.  

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Burnes has been very good, but he has seldom dominated.  He hasn’t pitched 8 innings once.  I know that the days of complete games are over but I would love our true ace to pitch a little deeper occasionally and be a bit more dominant at times.  

Yep.  The Ks are lacking and, as you said, he’s not throwing enough innings. He’s giving up a few too many homers too.

Hes been great but I honestly don’t expect him to go out and pitch 7-8 innings or 1 run or less baseball.

Im always hoping he pitches into the seventh and gives up 3 runs or less.

40 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If we win a World Series this year there will be some increased pressure to bring Burnes back. If Burns’s gets a mega deal 300+M then I certainly understand letting him walk but if it’s say 6 or less years less than 225M then with our minimum payroll we should be in on that imo 

I would argue the opposite. Take the ring and be happy. 

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  The Ks are lacking and, as you said, he’s not throwing enough innings. He’s giving up a few too many homers too.

Hes been great but I honestly don’t expect him to go out and pitch 7-8 innings or 1 run or less baseball.

Yes, he is very consistent in not giving up too many runs but too many times he seems to let other elite pitchers get the best of him. I know he doesn’t hit, but if he gives up zero runs you cant lose. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Burnes SO9 rate has been declining the past four seasons and I would not want to lock him up long term . From 12.6 strikeouts per nine innings to 8.4 this season. I'd go with three years even if you have up the AAV.

If a team wants to sign him for 6 seasons then I'd move on and take the comp pick.

image.thumb.png.efc1bf8f26db95014cf633820cb6c330.png

13 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It is very hard to even go 8 innings when the team won’t let him go more than 100 pitches.  15 pitches an inning is pretty good and if you do that you only go about 7 innings.  He has went over 100 pitches 1 time and that is an organizational decision.  He went over 100 last year 12 times.