Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Morosi is an idiot. Comparing Soto and Skubal is insane. Soto has a top 20 OPS all time and WS championship. 

And more of a sure thing and, btw that trade looks terrible even if the Pads did re-coup some prospects. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And more of a sure thing and, btw that trade looks terrible even if the Pads did re-coup some prospects. 

The Nats are a lot closer to 2022 Orioles because of that trade. Throw in the new draft rules they should have ended with one of the top picks this year.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I challenged Morosi or any other Yankees “super fan” to show me the trade in which a team got back a Soto-like type compensation for ANY pitcher.

*Sorry - “challenge” not “challenged”. 

This is nothing but Yankee fans fear that if we get Skubal their little AL pennant dreams have ended this season.

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I challenged Morosi or any other Yankees “super fan” to show me the trade in which a team got back a Soto-like type compensation for ANY pitcher.

What do the Yankees have to do with that tweet?

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Their offense isn't championship level IMO. Even if they add Skubal, I don't see them winning a World Series. 

But I will give you Boston as being the one other team. But the poster said several teams.

I did say several, and I was specifically thinking of the Dodgers, but I was also assuming there was more than one, even though I had not done any research, but low, and behold, Mr. Guy mentioned another team that could also meet the price, so, perhaps accidentally, it was a valid comment 

however, I think we might be better off setting our sites a little bit lower. 

7 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I did say several, and I was specifically thinking of the Dodgers, but I was also assuming there was more than one, even though I had not done any research, but low, and behold, Mr. Guy mentioned another team that could also meet the price, so, perhaps accidentally, it was a valid comment 

however, I think we might be better off setting our sites a little bit lower. 

The Dodgers have prospects #48 and #63.

The Red Sox have prospects #7, #14, and #24.  

Do those teams even have the guys that the Soto like package would entail?  Boston could I guess, but they've seemed to be more cautious of late.  This could be us bidding against ourselves.  

We need to see who is available and who the Jays make available.  

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

What do the Yankees have to do with that tweet?

IMO Morosi is biased toward the Yankees (always has been). He does not want Skubal going to the O’s and if so he wants to make it as painful as possible for the O’s to acquire him.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Go_Os said:

Considering that we have Adley and just drafted 4 catchers, I think Basallo would be the centerpiece for a trade for Skubal or Crochet.

Have you seen how much James McCann plays.  We need two catchers on our roster.  

2 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Have you seen how much James McCann plays.  We need two catchers on our roster.  

What’s more valuable a second catcher to split time with Adley or an all-star/Cy Young caliber pitcher?

I don't think Holliday and Mayo can both be future Orioles.   Elias has had plenty of time now to figure out which he likes better. I'd go ahead and trade the other for Skubal if possible.  Throw in some other peices on both ends too probably.  Holliday and Kjersted, painful but I'd pull the trigger. 

6 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

I don't think Holliday and Mayo can both be future Orioles.   Elias has had plenty of time now to figure out which he likes better. I'd go ahead and trade the other for Skubal if possible.  Throw in some other peices on both ends too probably.  Holliday and Kjersted, painful but I'd pull the trigger. 

Honestly I like Holliday more. But I would trade him before Mayo.

Holliday for one probably has more value given that he can play SS and is a five tool player. 

But Mayo solves more of a problem being a RH power bat.

I would trade Holliday, Cowser, and a couple of other minor league pieces necessary (probably one of Norby/Stowers but not Basallo). Or sub Basallo for Holliday.

I think Mayo is the one I keep because of the need for his right handedness in our lineup.

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

What’s more valuable a second catcher to split time with Adley or an all-star/Cy Young caliber pitcher?

We will probably move on from Mountcastle after this year.  Adley and Basallo can do a 50/50 catcher split with the other DH'ing.  Holliday is the higher ranked player, and actually the one that I would prefer to move.  

Are we worried about Skubal's innings this season?  He's only 33 IP shy of his career high in 2021.