Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Two things we’ve been doing,

1. DH’ing Holliday a lot recently so the scouts can really critique his defense. He’s not even playing 3 games in a row. We’ve been hiding him a little bit and the injury was convenient timing.

2. We really should Cowser down for Mayo, but we’re trying to keep Cowser’s value high. 

Holliday, Cowser… starts a package

I'm pretty sure they are DH'ing Holliday because he had elbow discomfort. Do you think scouts are dumb enough to fall for them DH'ing him so they can hide his defense?

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sorry, I may be wrong about the timeline(it all blends together).  You did say within the last month that he has to grow physically to have a chance to stick at SS.  You were worried about his twitch.

Definitely. That was during the whole "athleticism" debate. He does not have that twitchiness or quick reaction in the field nor does he have a quick release. I do wonder if his arm issues will bring down his value and teams will focus on getting Mayo or Basallo.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Definitely. That was during the whole "athleticism" debate. He does not have that twitchiness or quick reaction in the field nor does he have a quick release. I do wonder if his arm issues will bring down his value and teams will focus on getting Mayo or Basallo.

I wonder why he has the arm issue?  If I had to guess, it would be because he’s doing work to improve his arm strength but that’s complete speculation.

Will that be an issue for him long term or is this just some normal tendinitis that can happen to anyone?

Elias recently said he’s close to coming back to the field.  We will see on Friday or, more likely, Tuesday to see if soon is right now?

The lack of reporting on everything going on around Holliday has been very frustrating.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 hours ago, interloper said:

So then Skubal can become more durable? Haha. 

I think if Elias is looking for upper-echelon SPs who could replace Burnes next year, those guys are hard to find, and Skubal is a logical fit. Otherwise I'm not sure he has many great options in free agency or trade. All would carry a ton of risk because you're relying on them to be a #1. Grayson certainly isn't a #1.

So, I get that there's risk, but in terms of next year and beyond, which is what the tweet is referencing, the added risk in Skubal feels negligible to me when you consider aces are extremely rare. 

Grayson is 24 years old with just over a year of major league experience.  He isn't a number 1 right now but has been improving and decent numbers this season.  Skubal 23 and 24 season had ERA of 5.46 and 4.34 whiles Burnes was coming off a lost season with an ERA over 8 for the Brewers.  Grayson has given up 2 runs or less in 13 of his 17 starts which is one of the best in the league percentage wise.  That shows me he is getting close to being that number 1 starter but he has to learn how to limit those few starts that he is struggling which is something that makes Burnes great.  He doesn't have those bad starts that blows up his ERA.  

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm pretty sure they are DH'ing Holliday because he had elbow discomfort. Do you think scouts are dumb enough to fall for them DH'ing him so they can hide his defense?

That’s my opinion. I’m sure he’ll go back to playing the field more after the deadline. His value can only go down if scouts really start to observe. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s my opinion. I’m sure he’ll go back to playing the field more after the deadline. His value can only go down if scouts really start to observe. 

He's been under a microscope for years now, they didn't stop showing up or make any long-term decisions about him since the "fake injury". It sounds like a conspiracy theory.

The more I think about it Jackson Holiday, almost straight up is enough. You can throw in like maybe a Stowers but no reason to go higher than that that’s six years of holiday for 2 1/2 years of a pitcher. Not many number one prospects just bust and don’t have productive careers. No one can even offer that but the orioles. 

Posted (edited)

I was asked how I felt about this proposal over at the MotownForums site: Skubal to the Orioles for Basallo, Kjerstad, Jackson Baumeister, and Leandro Arias.

Would you agree to it?  I'll go back and tell them the general vibe after enough have responded.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Spakman said:

The more I think about it Jackson Holiday, almost straight up is enough. You can throw in like maybe a Stowers but no reason to go higher than that that’s six years of holiday for 2 1/2 years of a pitcher. Not many number one prospects just bust and don’t have productive careers. No one can even offer that but the orioles. 

That's selling low on the #1 prospect in baseball. 

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

I was asked how I felt about this proposal over at the MotownForums site: Skubal to the Orioles for Basallo, Kjerstad, Jackson Baumeister, and Leandro Arias.

Would you agree to it?  I'll go back and tell them the general vibe after enough have responded.

If they didn’t accept that, they don’t know anything about baseball. The Orioles would not even come close to trading that much

1 minute ago, MDK02 said:

I sort of hope they do trade him and he's an 8-win player every year. His 34ABs at the ML have defined him by many.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

What? What better player could you get for him? He is pretty much the best pitcher in the major leagues right now, besides some guy in the National league. Holiday hasn’t even proved he can hit in the major leagues. I have no doubt he will but we need pitching. 

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I sort of hope they do trade him and he's an 8-win player every year. His 34ABs at the ML have defined him by many.

You keep saying this, but nobody else is saying it. You’re like a broken record. Stop pushing your biases of how bad Jackson Holiday is on other people.

• Upvote 1