Deadline Predictions

Greg Pappas

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Can’t help but think that if Elias really is talking to Detroit about Skubal, he must at least be considering trading one of the top prospects.

Great point. Seems like it would have to be the case.

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 1:11 PM, Greg Pappas said:

Which specific player(s) will we acquire by the trade deadline?   Who we trade away to get them isn't required, but it would be cool to see your thoughts on that as well.  Give us your best guess.

I'll say we deal for RHP Kyle Finnegan (1.4 years of control) from the Nationals.  Still haven't made up my mind on the starter.

Edited by Greg Pappas

46 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'll say we deal for RHP Kyle Finnegan (1.4 years of control) from the Nationals.  Still haven't made up my mind on the starter.

I read a tidbit on Finnegan , he looks good fit for our bullpen . The only question is what do Nats want for him ?

• Upvote 1

I say they go out and get TWO closers from teams that are out of it. Scott and Estevez would be my guesses.

Elias refuses to deal any of Holliday/Basallo/Kjersted/Cowser/Mayo so they don’t get a top starter like Skubal or Crochet.

But a lesser guy, let’s say Bassitt from Toronto or Steele from Chicago, is cheaper than anyone thinks so Elias acquires him for lower prospects. 

4 minutes ago, jcaponio said:

I say they go out and get TWO closers from teams that are out of it. Scott and Estevez would be my guesses.

Elias refuses to deal any of Holliday/Basallo/Kjersted/Cowser/Mayo so they don’t get a top starter like Skubal or Crochet.

But a lesser guy, let’s say Bassitt from Toronto or Steele from Chicago, is cheaper than anyone thinks so Elias acquires him for lower prospects. 

I still hope in the offseason that the O's get an ace.  Since Elias doesn't draft pitching and I can't see the O's/Rubenstein paying a free agent  ace maybe Elias will trade for one.  He traded for one this past offseason, but with only one season of control.  Ideally, Elias will identify a top pitcher, trade for one with multiple years of control and then sign them to an extension (obviously takes Rubenstein's money).  Elias would not be talking to WS/Detroit about Crochet/Skubal if he wasn't thinking about this path.

I am perfectly fine with not trading Heston/Cowser/Holliday/Mayo/Basallo and only going after someone life Fedde. 

But all except Basallo need to be up here playing consistently, and Elias needs to move on from some of his precious vets that he craves.  

On 7/23/2024 at 12:05 AM, jcaponio said:

In what world would Steele be available not including any of those guys?