AL playoff picture

eddie83

We are going to the playoffs.  The "Will we make the playoffs?" thread is obsolete at this point and can be deleted. 

It's just a matter now of who we will face between the Royals, Tigers, and Twins in the WC round and whether it will be home or away. 

Given that we have only 9 games left, the best odds are KC @ home. 

I am completely resigned with not winning the division, and no matter who we play, I think we have a better chance in a three game than five game series, where our deficiencies are more likely to get exposed.  That's the sliver lining I see in not winning the division, is that we could actually watch this team win a playoff series. 

Edited by ChuckS

Realistically, the Orioles need to win 3 more games to win the 4 seed (Do not read as "clinch" the 4 seed) as long as they get 1 each vs Det and Min.  Anything less and they are playing with fire.

The magic number vs the Yankees to win the division is down to 14 and no longer separately reliant on the tiebreaker (the Orioles will definitely win the tiebreaker if they get to 14).  With only 19 decisions left, that's a tough climb.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Biggest win of the season?

I think so the last thing the Orioles needed was getting swept at home by a Giants team that was scuffling only to play the red hot Tigers team that's right on the Orioles heels.

Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher, but maybe the O's hitters will build off of today's 5 run effort and not press so much at the plate.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think so the last thing the Orioles needed was getting swept at home by a Giants team that was scuffling only to play the red hot Tigers team that's right on the Orioles heels.

Momentum is tomorrow's starting pitcher, but maybe the O's hitters will build off of today's 5 run effort and not press so much at the plate.

I think so too. Imagine the pressure of blowing a 9th inning lead and then having to play the team chasing us down. 

Hopefully, we rally. Knock these Detroit bums out then play that same “chaser” role versus the Yankees. That would be nice. 

What a win can do…

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We are going to the playoffs.  The "Will we make the playoffs?" thread is obsolete at this point and can be deleted. 

It's just a matter now of who we will face between the Royals, Tigers, and Twins in the WC round and whether it will be home or away. 

Given that we have only 9 games left, the best odds are KC @ home. 

I am completely resigned with not winning the division, and no matter who we play, I think we have a better chance in a three game than five game series, where our deficiencies are more likely to get exposed.  That's the sliver lining I see in not winning the division, is that we could actually watch this team win a playoff series. 

The O's and that lineup aren't capable of going 0-9?

I think I am right about this. Not 100%. 

If Orioles win two games this weekend and the Twins lose 2 they clinch. 

Twins lose head to head tiebreaker. Tigers would also lose to BAL in this scenario. 

The three way ties are a little confusing. I still think this particular scenario would clinch it. Obviously Orioles sweep would as well. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules?adobe_mc=TS%3D1726777179|MCMID%3D77706257196539754447441907508700729121|MCORGID%3DA65F776A5245B01B0A490D44@AdobeOrg&rsid=mlbios.at.bat.new.implementation&affiliateId=mlbapp-ios_referral

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think I am right about this. Not 100%. 

If Orioles win two games this weekend and the Twins lose 2 they clinch. 

Twins lose head to head tiebreaker. Tigers would also lose to BAL in this scenario. 

The three way ties are a little confusing. I still think this particular scenario would clinch it. Obviously Orioles sweep would as well. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-playoff-tiebreaker-rules?adobe_mc=TS%3D1726777179|MCMID%3D77706257196539754447441907508700729121|MCORGID%3DA65F776A5245B01B0A490D44@AdobeOrg&rsid=mlbios.at.bat.new.implementation&affiliateId=mlbapp-ios_referral

I’ve literally been saying that they only need to win three of the last 11 games that they were playing when I said it and there was still these ridiculous people saying that they weren’t gonna make the playoffs. I hope these people don’t have to use the brains to support their family.

2 minutes ago, Spakman said:

I’ve literally been saying that they only need to win three of the last 11 games that they were playing when I said it and there was still these ridiculous people saying that they weren’t gonna make the playoffs. I hope these people don’t have to use the brains to support their family.

Let’s hope they get more than that.