Seattle is looking for a first baseman

5 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Can o Hearn play 1B full time or does he have drastic splits?

This year has < 30 ABs but is OPS vs LH is under .600. Last year he had the same amount of ABs and was .798. But that was heavily field by his SLG. That said, it’s hard to judge with the SSS of ABs.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I think we see things happen that haven’t happened in the past due to the extra WC spot and so many teams involved in the playoff race.

Whether or not that happens this year or not, I think these contender/contender deals are going to be more prevalent long term.

Mounty to Seattle and Mullins to Philly would be great.

That said, if the Os would trade Mounty, I would think it would be an NL team.

I hear you, but that would be a total change for Elias. I’m not saying he’s not capable of changing things up, it’s just he’s never done anything like that before. I see changes coming in the offseason. Heck, we could get a lot less expensive as a team. That’s not my goal. 

I get the strong desire that many posters have to get Mayo here yesterday.

But I imagine that the Mariners are not interested in weaken their rotation in order to improve their offense. They probably (reasonably) want to have the best of both.

The most reasonable way for them to do that is to trade from their great wealth of prospects. While we have tremendous high end talent with our top 3 prospects, the Mariners have way more top 100 prospects than we do.

Furthermore, the Mariners front office (and all MLB front offices) is aware of the same concerns of the rash of pitching injuries like all of us here. Why would they thin out there MLB pitching like that when injuries are sure to occur? They can keep all of their pitchers and acquire hitters using some of their what 6/7 top 100 prospects?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get the strong desire that many posters have to get Mayo here yesterday.

But I imagine that the Mariners are not interested in weaken their rotation in order to improve their offense. They probably (reasonably) want to have the best of both.

The most reasonable way for them to do that is to trade from their great wealth of prospects. While we have tremendous high end talent with our top 3 prospects, the Mariners have way more top 100 prospects than we do.

Furthermore, the Mariners front office (and all MLB front offices) is aware of the same concerns of the rash of pitching injuries like all of us here. Why would they thin out there MLB pitching like that when injuries are sure to occur? They can keep all of their pitchers and acquire hitters using some of their what 6/7 top 100 prospects?

I think there is a fairly decent chance that either Hancock or Woo will be traded by the deadline and that won’t really effect their rotation all that much.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is unplayable against LHP but Mayo could easily platoon with him

I think they would call up Garrett Cooper before trying Mayo at 1B in the big leagues. He's been terrible defensively at 1B in AAA.

Tidbit from Passan this morning in his one week out piece:

Contenders, sources said, could subtract from positions of strength while simultaneously adding to address weaknesses. Teams near, or even over, .500 could take advantage of the market's spare inventory to hunt for value and offload players. In a landscape where, as one official said, "everybody needs bats and there are no bats available," creativity will be paramount.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I think they would call up Garrett Cooper before trying Mayo at 1B in the big leagues. He's been terrible defensively at 1B in AAA.

Mayo just started getting time at 1B.  Unlike other players who have moved around a lot, such as Holliday and Westburg.  Doesn't make a whole lot of sense that he wasn't playing 1B 1-2 times a week.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

If that is the case I would have to question his ability to play 3B since the skills are similar. In which case he will need to be a full time DH.

• Upvote 1

I like Mountcastle, he seems like a good dude and he's provided some value for us.  I'd be glad to see him move on just because his extreme streakiness drives me nuts during the low points.

But I have to think he has almost zero trade value.  

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I like Mountcastle, he seems like a good dude and he's provided some value for us.  I'd be glad to see him move on just because his extreme streakiness drives me nuts during the low points.

But I have to think he has almost zero trade value.  

Agree with that. Hes sure easy to watch when going good. Hope one ofhis hot streaks happens in October

29 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Tidbit from Passan this morning in his one week out piece:

Contenders, sources said, could subtract from positions of strength while simultaneously adding to address weaknesses. Teams near, or even over, .500 could take advantage of the market's spare inventory to hunt for value and offload players. In a landscape where, as one official said, "everybody needs bats and there are no bats available," creativity will be paramount.

The trading deadline is just going to be different now. It may take a few years for it to catch on but eventually, this is just what teams are going to have to do.