O's acquire LHP Trevor Rogers from Marlins

RVAOsFan

1 minute ago, HelenaEngineer said:

Nobody in their right mind would give up Mayo or Basallo for 2 months of Tanner Scott.

Well, I think it's obvious that Norby wasn't getting it done, or I'm fairly certain Tanner Scott would be an Oriole again.

Unless Elias is very put off by his walk numbers, which, you know, fair?

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

You can do this to some degree and still be reasonable. I'd love to, for example, have a guy on the team who in one start gave up 10 runs in one inning and pitched to a 3.00 ERA in the rest of them. Yes, the 10 runs in one inning is a thing he did, but the 3.00 ERA is probably much more reflective of what he'll do going forward than whatever his season ERA is.

Saying, “oh, pitcher X has a 3.50 ERA if you take out this clunker game” defeats the entire purpose of ERA. 

2 minutes ago, terpoh said:

The Marlins didnt agree. I'm sure MIke tried to make it work for less. Stowers does not have much value here or on the trade market unfortunately.

The Marlins must have agreed because they wanted him. If this was a dump, then Elias really smells bad on this.

Just now, J.D. said:

Well, I think it's obvious that Norby wasn't getting it done, or I'm fairly certain Tanner Scott would be an Oriole again.

Unless Elias is very put off by his walk numbers, which, you know, fair?

Or trading for Scott would show he made a mistake trading him away in the first place.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But we only wanted to give up one of them!

Couldn't they take a ML player we don't like anymore instead?

You'd think Elias just sunk the franchise reading the panic over the return in this trade.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I don't have any issue with trading Norby and Stowers. It's what we received in return or should I say what we didn't acquire in return that is the issue.

Right now we are slated to go into October having to rely on this bullpen to be successful series after series in order to arrive at what I hoped was Elias' desired destination... the World Series.

I do agree that since we didn't really acquire any big time starters, we'll need bullpen help if we want to go deep in October.  Unfortunately, it's looking like we may not get any impact relievers.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But we only wanted to give up one of them!

Couldn't they take a ML player we don't like anymore instead?

What could a package of Ramon Urias and Lew Ford get us? 

1 minute ago, E-D-D-I-E said:

Well considering Norby has hit EVERYWHERE he has been, I would say he will be a solid major league 2nd basemen. In my eyes, Norby alone was a fair trade. Adding Stowers made it an overpay.

He's hitting .188 in Baltimore.

Smart-ass comment aside, solid major-league 2B is a possibility (2 WAR a year type), but there are definitely some red flags like the strikeout rate and the scouting reports on his defense.

Let me guess, Stowers is a solid MLB RF despite hitting .229/.274/.369 career in MLB through his age 26 season while striking out in almost a third of his plate appearances? Again, he could be, but there are definitely some red flags.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Malike said:

Recent results are actually quite good over his last 9 starts. He has been a pretty good pitcher years prior, with one excellent season over 25 starts.

Yes, that is good news... I was referring to the past 2.5 seasons.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or trading for Scott would show he made a mistake trading him away in the first place.

You really think that would have stopped him if he thought Scott was attainable for a reasonable price and would have helped the ballclub moving forward?

That's... I mean, keep reaching I guess.