Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

I liked the acquisition and said so at the time for many of the reasons stated above.  But it's way too early to make any sort of conclusion.

So far I like his ABs and he's hitting the ball hard.  I said previously I think the comparisons to Aguilar are lazy and inaccurate.  But pretty much everything's been on the ground, which was the knock some had.  Let's say if the O's can do something to get him hitting some balls in the air.

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have an idea - let’s not judge a trade based on 2-3 days.  I have not forgotten that Tim Beckham looked like a league MVP for a full month after we acquired him, only to turn back into a pumpkin.  

That said, I hope we can extract more from Jiminez than the horrible White Sox organization has been able to get from him in recent years and especially this one.  

Solid take. 

All they need is a couple of decent months from him. Certainly possible. 

Biggest question I have is what is his role. Even if he performs well it seems he is taking ABs from Mountcastle. I guess having him guarantees that we will have one of Eloy, RMC, or O'Hearn to pinch hit off the bench at the first opportunity. Seems like a bit of a waste but he didn't cost much of anything so I guess it's a nice luxury. 

9 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Biggest question I have is what is his role. Even if he performs well it seems he is taking ABs from Mountcastle. I guess having him guarantees that we will have one of Eloy, RMC, or O'Hearn to pinch hit off the bench at the first opportunity. Seems like a bit of a waste but he didn't cost much of anything so I guess it's a nice luxury. 

I don’t think that’s a waste. I like the offense against righties with Mountcastle on the bench, at least currently. Treat Mounty/O’Hearn as a platoon. Maybe not a 100% strict platoon as Mounty is capable of starting against some righties, but not all right now. As you said, it then leaves Mounty off the bench against a tough lefty reliever for O’Hearn like we saw yesterday and vice versa when we face lefty starters. I think a month ago they probably hoped/anticipated that was Kjerstad getting the at bats vs righties at the DH spot, but something was clearly off with him since the HBP. Let him get better and get the rest/lower pressure games he needs. 

I’m not sure if Eloy is the every day DH bat we need long term,  but he looks good so far. If he falls off, you’ve always got Mayo as another option down the line and Westy taking 3B.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Eloy is healthy he’s better than Mounty vs RHP. Better than O’Hearn vs LHP. 

Mounty and O’Hearn are now in a strict platoon. How many other teams in baseball pinch hit for their clean up hitter like we do now?

It's been 3 days let's slow down lol

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Eloy is healthy he’s better than Mounty vs RHP. Better than O’Hearn vs LHP. 

Mounty and O’Hearn are now in a strict platoon. How many other teams in baseball pinch hit for their clean up hitter like we do now?

Eloy has an OPS of 644 against RHP this season.

Mountcastle has an OPS of 712 against RHP this season.

The career numbers do go Eloy's way but I question how much weight they should be given.

The low slugging is a problem.

I think Eloy will help with the Umps too. 

He’s a vet. More vet standing than Mullins and Mounty. We saw some fire from him a bit in the 4th game of the Cleveland series at the home plate ump. 

He’s going to feel his way out a bit, but I don’t think he’s going to let these umps bully our young team around. We need that. Hyde can’t be getting thrown out non stop. 

Eloy the Ump Enforcer. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eloy has an OPS of 644 against RHP this season.

Mountcastle has an OPS of 712 against RHP this season.

The career numbers do go Eloy's way but I question how much weight they should be given.

The low slugging is a problem.

The tie break between he and Mounty is that Eloy is more vocal with the umps. That ump got an ear full late in yesterday’s game. That’s something our team is missing this season. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

The tie break between he and Mounty is that Eloy is more vocal with the umps. That ump got an ear full late in yesterday’s game. That’s something our team is missing this season. 

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion in this case I do not share it.

This is the first time in my life I have seen one player being valued over another because he complains to the umps.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion in this case I do not share it.

This is the first time in my life I have seen one player being valued over another because he complains to the umps.

I understand. We value things differently. 

I won’t say complains more. But I believe that Eloy is more respected around the league as a hitter than Mountcastle. Former all star. More of a vet. And just more physically imposing. 

The physically imposing stuff matters with arguing and the umps. 

Does an ump want to argue with Eloy or Jackson Holliday?  They don’t want that big dude in their face.

You might not think that, but he’s Holliday’s caddy/enforcer in a way. Our whole young team for that matter. 

• Confused 3

Like what I see so far but it's only a few games. Does add an impressive presence to the middle of the line up. Don't see Elias picking up his option - not for a DH. So he's on a two month hopefully plus try out in a new/different environment either for us or someone else. Could be two very rewarding months - or not. I'm rooting for rewarding! Enjoy Eloy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Agreed. Somehow the bad umpiring is Hyde and Elias's fault? That is absurd but once a narrative takes hold on a message boards seemingly anything can confirm it 

9 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I liked the acquisition and said so at the time for many of the reasons stated above.  But it's way too early to make any sort of conclusion.

So far I like his ABs and he's hitting the ball hard.  I said previously I think the comparisons to Aguilar are lazy and inaccurate.  But pretty much everything's been on the ground, which was the knock some had.  Let's say if the O's can do something to get him hitting some balls in the air.

Being on the White Sox forum they seemed to think he was cursed. Almost to a Chris Davis level. They said after the trade and financials that they felt the White Sox should’ve just released him. He appears to be a change of scenery guy for sure.