I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hope so. 

He's a big piece of their future.  He's part of the plan for this year and obviously next year.  Heck, they are holding him back so he has a shot at ROY...even finishing top 2 (or 3?) gets him 1 year closer to FA!!  It's almost like they are doing him a favor.  How hard is it so say 'Coby, we think the world of your talents.  You are a huge part of our team this year and a huge part of our team next year.  We think so highly of you that we think you have a shot to win ROY next year.  To do that, we need you to start on X date.  If you win the ROY it's good for the Orioles and it's even better for you.  I know you want to be up here right away but keep working hard because the wait will be worth it in the long run."

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let me know when Soto starts hitting piss missiles. 

He went 2-4 in his only game at Norfolk with a piss missle since we acquired him. Just letting you know. ;) Slugging 1.500 OPS 2.000.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

He was not drafted by the Os nor brought up via the Os farm system.

Try again.  Just give me ONE example.

Nick Markakis.  But I think your point is more due to previous ownership getting cheap around the turn of the century rather than anything to do with how the players were treated.  The answer is always money.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

Wait, you would honestly be happy if we gave Machado the contract he has now? Like, we'd have him until 2033? Do you realize he's a 1 win player on a 350M dollar contract who is at -7.5 dWAR? That's what you want this team to do? That would show competence?

I thought we should have tried to sign him long term after his second year in the bigs. 

I feel the same about GH.  Not sure about Adley.

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Mike's brother is one of my best friends.  I am real familiar with what happened there.  I don’t want to go back down that rabbit hole here again but he wanted one example and I gave it to him.  I do now feel I need to take another shower for engaging him though. 😄

bf7584cd086aaabbb32114e2ed6e05e5.gif

• Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Let me know when Soto starts hitting piss missiles. 

I don’t think this is Soto versus Mayo, it’s Mayo versus Urias. Soto will not be a regular, if Mayo were here he would be.

I’ll say it again, Urias has been hitting really well for a month and we know that his defense is excellent.  I don’t think leap-frogging him with Mayo is warranted at present.  Adjusting to major league pitching is not easy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

bf7584cd086aaabbb32114e2ed6e05e5.gif

Calling me a liar?  Wow.  I really could care less what you believe.  Of course you don’t address the example you ask for.  

Edited by accinfo

I want Mayo up badly; I did not enjoy the Jiminez trade but I can see why they are waiting on Mayo. He could be a Sept call up (or be called up when he is assured he won't lose his Rookie Eligibility) and still make the Playoff Roster. The scouts are obviously a little concerned about his glove (16 errors) and perhaps he ends up in RF but it won't be this year as they stuck with him at 3B most of the season to try to develop him there.

I think if they loved his glove at 3B right now he'd be here. He's not taking innings from Mountcastle yet. Even without Jiminez, Hyde likes to use the DH spot to give Adley and Santander rest while getting their bats in the lineup against LHP. If Jiminez fails quickly, he's up for sure.

If you look closely at his game logs, they went all in on him at 3B with the occasional start at 1B for the whole season then, leading up to the trade deadline, he started almost every game at 1B as Elias prepped to potentially trade Mountcastle. Since July 21st, he's only played 2 games at 3B. In that time he made 3 errors. (Also, he started the first 2 games of the season with 3 errors). So from March 31st to July 19th, when he was predominantly at 3B, he made 10 errors, looking closer to average? Maybe he needs a week back at 3B to feel comfortable before they bring him up?

Also, he's probably our best bet to win ROY in 2025 as Holiday will probably lose his Rookie status by the end of the year. Kjerstad will probably lose his by the end of this season unless he's sent down again.

I don't like it, but if the rules allow GMs to make moves like this, then its gonna keep happening. Elias is really good at analyzing value and he values high level draft picks. If he thinks Mayo can land him one in the 2026 draft, he'll give him every chance to win the ROY in 2025. (If Cowser wins this year, we'll have 3 extra draft picks if Burnes and Santander walk as well).

I was hoping to see Mayo as well but I think there are a number of variables here. Gunnar didn’t get his day off after the ASB due to Urias illness. They are probably planning to sit him one day this weekend. This was a spur of the moment decision when I think Holidays was planned knowing we were shopping Norby. Cleveland is a tough staff to debut against. Mayo has not been hitting the cover off the ball recently, his July OPS was 760.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Is there any chance the reason that he is not up is because of the glove?

Gunnar is really struggling with his defense right now. May not be best to have you entire left side being a liability.

100%

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is there any chance the reason that he is not up is because of the glove?

Gunnar is really struggling with his defense right now. May not be best to have you entire left side being a liability.

He's not hitting right now either...

Batting Game Logs

Date G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip
per 162 games 162 668 587 108 142 40 0 20 81 68 7 162 7 0 7 7 0 14          
Jun 29 to Jul 30, 2024 24 99 87 16 21 6 0 3 12 10 1 24 1 0 1 1 0 2 .241 .323 .414 .737 .295
Clear Selection & Close [X]
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I was hoping to see Mayo as well but I think there are a number of variables here. Gunnar didn’t get his day off after the ASB due to Urias illness. They are probably planning to sit him one day this weekend. This was a spur of the moment decision when I think Holidays was planned knowing we were shopping Norby. Cleveland is a tough staff to debut against. Mayo has not been hitting the cover off the ball recently, his July OPS was 760.

I agree with everything but the Cleveland staff part. Seems like their pitching (especially starters) would be ideal to face. Nothing really special there.