Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure that’s true, at least anymore.

Between all the injuries and the dramatic drop in statcast numbers, especially by the starters, I wonder what’s going on there.

They have the same pitching coach but I wonder if they have changed philosophies and it’s hurting these guys.  

We have already heard Rogers say he has gotten more feedback in his short time here than he has in his whole career.

Yes that’s the tweet with Rogers’ quote I posted originally. Maybe something happened with Miami this year, I don’t know, but they developed a lot of good pitchers in recent years, including Rogers prior to this season.

The fact that the Mets were also after Rogers is a sign that there is something that the analytically inclined teams think they can improve. The Mets like a lot of the same pitchers the Orioles do (this season alone, Reed Garrett, Yohan Ramírez, Jorge Lopez and Fuji).

I have no doubt the Orioles think there is more upside to be unlocked with Rogers with adjustments, I’m just saying Miami hasn’t exactly been a hopeless pitching organization in recent years like the Rockies. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, theobird said:

Yes, tonight is a big one for Roger’s. He doesn’t have to be lights out, if he can go 5-6 innings and give up 3 runs or less that would be a good place to start. But the way we are swinging the bats, that might add up to a loss.

The way we are swinging the bats?  The O’s are averaging 5.78 runs per game since the all star break.  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Miami isn’t a mess when it comes to developing pitchers, though. But I agree the Orioles don’t do this trade unless they think there is something more to unlock with Rogers. 

This is how I see it.  Miami has generally been pretty good at developing pitchers.  We may see things Rogers can improve; whether those things can be implemented very quickly isn’t clear.  So, whatever happens this year, I won’t make assumptions about the 2025 version.  

Whatever they do, I hope they figure out what was making him miss arm side to every RHH. Then he'd have to force one inside while down in the count and got clobbered. 

He did have some 94s in his first Oriole start, but it wasn't consistent. 

I also felt like Cleveland was stealing signs on him, but no way to prove that, just a hunch I had that whole game. 

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Yes that’s the tweet with Rogers’ quote I posted originally. Maybe something happened with Miami this year, I don’t know, but they developed a lot of good pitchers in recent years, including Rogers prior to this season.

The fact that the Mets were also after Rogers is a sign that there is something that the analytically inclined teams think they can improve. The Mets like a lot of the same pitchers the Orioles do (this season alone, Reed Garrett, Yohan Ramírez, Jorge Lopez and Fuji).

I have no doubt the Orioles think there is more upside to be unlocked with Rogers with adjustments, I’m just saying Miami hasn’t exactly been a hopeless pitching organization in recent years like the Rockies. 

Yea it’s weird stuff. I looked at several of their starters and the statcast page were way different from previous years for basically all of them.

Really surprised me because, like you said, they have been really good at developing pitching recently. 

But for it to be such a drop off for several guys is more of a pattern than a coincidence to me.

2 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Remember Scherzer complaining how the Mets piching lab/analytics wasn't up to snuff compared to his prior teams.  That could be the case with Miami and then coming to the O's.  We could just have better analytics that they didn't have.