Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

8 hours ago, Safelykept said:

wait til the league adjusts and they slump, and all on the Marlin forums tell you how bad they are. In case, I wish them future success.

Norby is a MLB hitter. Superior to Holliday so far. He’s should’ve been up last year. But Elias has been hoarding service time. 

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Norby is a MLB hitter. Superior to Holliday so far. He’s should’ve been up last year. But Elias has been hoarding service time. 

He,s also 4 years older. Nobody including the Marlins would take him over Jackson, or anybody else (prospects, young infielders) His future here was always depth or UI, which he's not. Plus they had Urias and Mateo. Wish him the best, glad for his opportunity.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Norby is 4 years older than Holliday. Who was Norby playing over last year or this year?  Nobody was hoarding. 

Norby had to go in a deal in a deal for SP. Just pretend he went for Eflin if it makes you feel better. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So you're saying based on this sample of one month we should have traded Holliday for Rogers instead?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

So you're saying based on this sample of one month we should have traded Holliday for Rogers instead?

Add in Tanner Scott, Luzardo and Nardi and maybe uore getting close. But would wait for SG take.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

We did not punt the present. We got Eflin, Dominguez, and Soto. Seems you disagree with any focus beyond October but I don't see why we can't do some of each. This is what teams like Tampa do. I would rather get future value for Norby/Stowers than overpay for a rental. 

I don't think we are worse. Norby would be nice to have as a RHB but Slater has hit well for us, with better defense. Stowers wouldn't even play. 

Maybe there was some other trade out there for Norby, we just don't know. I have pretty high confidence that Elias values his prospects and got the best offer he could. 

I was only talking about that specific trade, and I think my point stands quite clearly.

Mike Elias was willing to trade the remaining months of 2024 for the possibility that Rogers’ problems could be fixed before next season. That is why Mike kept crowing about “two years of control“

I did not reference any other trade, so it should’ve been clear I was only referring to that one single trade, and in that trade, Mike was accepting a pitcher that was not even as good as our own current number five.

And that was true, even at the time.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Norby is 4 years older than Holliday. Who was Norby playing over last year or this year?  Nobody was hoarding. 

Norby had to go in a deal in a deal for SP. Just pretend he went for Eflin if it makes you feel better. 

Nobody would give a hoot about Norby if Westburg and Mateo were healthy

7 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I was only talking about that specific trade, and I think my point stands quite clearly.

Mike Elias was willing to trade the remaining months of 2024 for the possibility that Rogers’ problems could be fixed before next season. That is why Mike kept crowing about “two years of control“

I did not reference any other trade, so it should’ve been clear I was only referring to that one single trade, and in that trade, Mike was accepting a pitcher that was not even as good as our own current number five.

And that was true, even at the time.

How can you punt this year through one trade? The statement makes no logical sense focused exclusively on the trade itself. 

Yes, the trade failed to help us this year. That has already been admitted, hundreds of times.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'll say based on the SSS we shouldn't have traded ANYONE for Rogers.  Yeah I know we have him for 2 more years,  so the line on Rogers Os career is far from completely written.  But today I'd surely rather have Norby and Stowers back,  or just about any other pitcher if we still traded Norby and Stowers versus someone who was so bad we had to send him to AAA.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I'll say based on the SSS we shouldn't have traded ANYONE for Rogers.  Yeah I know we have him for 2 more years,  so the line on Rogers Os career is far from completely written.  But today I'd surely rather have Norby and Stowers back,  or just about any other pitcher if we still traded Norby and Stowers versus someone who was so bad we had to send him to AAA.

Fair enough. Disappointing for sure that Rogers looked like a bum as soon as he put on an O's uniform. I still think Elias was committed to trading Norby and Stowers, even if they were in our system they still wouldn't be playing, and we don't know what other interest there was. The track record and upside is still there for this to turn out to be a good deal but I am in no way predicting that, just withholding judgment.

12 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

No … I wouldn’t have traded for Rogers. Rogers is an example of a poor target. Elias trying to be too cute, you don’t trade for flawed players hoping to fix them during a pennant race. I’m not saying to trade Holliday. I’m saying Norby was a better player right now for a team with playoff aspirations. Holliday could still be at AAA.