Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

20 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Now I'm not saying he will or won't be of help next year but I think because he's been so bad he needs to earn a spot and not be counted on as one of starting 5. Also I've heard this quite a bit about more of help next year but that didn't do anything to help the 2024 that at one time many of os thought  were a WS contender. 

He won’t be …. 

On 9/14/2024 at 9:33 PM, Spakman said:

I see that people still don’t like people saying it’s a bad trade. And I will say this every trade you make in theory is an overpay because you’re willing to give more than any other team is willing to give. I know that’s kind of simplified, but it’s also kind of true. Especially at the trade deadline.

The proposition that every auction automatically results in an overpay is simplified indeed.  Granted, "kind of true" is a low bar to clear, but still...

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Norby hitting .194 with a .655 OPS in his last 38 plate appearances.  15 strikeouts, 1 walk.

440 ML players have 100+ PAs this year.

Norby is 404/440 in Exit Velocity and coincidentally 404/440 in Contact%

So he doesn't put his bat on the ball and when he does, he doesn't hit it hard. Which (unlike Holliday and Mayo) is completely in line with his poor Exit Velocity and Contact% in AAA.

He's not a good defender either.

Norby is a bad baseball player and we're better off with Livan Soto and Emmanuel Rivera.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

440 ML players have 100+ PAs this year.

Norby is 404/440 in Exit Velocity and coincidentally 404/440 in Contact%

So he doesn't put his bat on the ball and when he does, he doesn't hit it hard. Which (unlike Holliday and Mayo) is completely in line with his poor Exit Velocity and Contact% in AAA.

He's not a good defender either.

Norby is a bad baseball player and we're better off with Livan Soto and Emmanuel Rivera.

I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say as Norby is a bad baseball player.  

My post was a bit tongue in cheek.  Like, I'm not ready to give up on Trevor Rogers even though admittedly he's been terrible since he got here.  A lot of people were acting like we gave up Steve Finley 2.0 after Norby went on a heater when he arrived in Miami.  It was absolutely silly to think that way, just like it's silly to point to his recent cooldown as a sign of who he is, too.

Much like the book hasn't been finished on the player Trevor Rogers will be, the book also hasn't been finished on who Norby will be, either.  I understand your criticism of him and I think it's valid to a degree but it also ignores the idea of any upside he has.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm not sure if I'd go as far to say as Norby is a bad baseball player.  

Just my opinion. ZiPS projects him for a .708 OPS next year and I'd bet on the under. I think he's a .230/.295/.395 hitter with a below average glove. A Rio Ruiz type of player.

The underlying metrics always suggested Norby was due for serious regression, but some people are just desperate not to give Elias credit because they need to be able to point to some single, solitary thing and say, "This is why we're underperforming!" and the guy running the show is the obvious target.

I think Norby and Stowers have value as major leaguers, but long-term I don't think they're guys we're going to miss. Entirely possible Trevor Rogers is someone forgettable as well.

I guess sometimes both teams lose trades.

Edited by ChosenOne21

17 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

He won’t be …. 

I guess we'll find out over the offseason.  The danger is that Elias looks at Eflin, Grayson, Suarez and Kramer as a solid 1-4, assumes that Povich, McDermott and Rogers can battle it out for the fifth slot, and then decides we don't need to try to get a front line starter to replace Corbin Burnes.