The Homegrown Hitters are too young to be the “Smartest Guys in the Room”

sportsfan8703

Lots of draft capital invested in our current everyday lineup. 1st rd picks. Top 5 picks overall. 

When do they realize that they’re not in gym shorts in the batting cages, and getting graded by analytics? It’s arrogance. Can’t have a team full of Jack Custs that want to be 3 outcome players. 

Someone has to do the little things. Forget bunting. How about taking pitches, going the other way, getting clutch hits, putting the ball in play early in counts?  We’re terrible at the small things. 

It’s tough right now because Adley is struggling, and he’s likely our leader now. They need some sort of team meeting or we’ll just watch the season continue to get away from us. Literally, just go down crying about borderline calls, because everyone is so smart. 

This is the big leagues. They need to adjust. It ain’t changing for them. We’re too arrogant to do the small things. Maybe this season is good in the long run. Maybe this is why a vet hitter was needed. We’ll see if they change. 

These dudes can’t adjust, but Cal could have 27 batting stances?  Where would the lineup be if we had 9/15 hitters hurt?  The pitchers at least adjust and are grinding. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Before or after taking pitches?

Nothing more old school than bunting with two strikes.

You gotta take a couple of pitches first right. Pretty selfish to not let the guy on deck see what’s coming. There’s no other way for a hitter to know what’s coming without sitting in the on deck circle. 

Just to pile onto the reactionary nature of this and many recent discussions (it helps to vent)….Maybe some questions should be posed to Cody Asche, the offensive strategy coach.   In the NFL the OC would be front and center in terms of problems with the offense game plan!  

Edited by Pat Kelly
  • Upvote 1

Interview with upbeat Cody Asche on June 23.  Have not heard from him since.  Do wonder at times if there are too many voices for players to lisrten to and/or the manager job is more Head of Field Operations where you have to manage a team of coaches working with players...communications and managing input, technology etc never been more important.   In his interview Asche acknowledges that players go to different coaches for different things.  All great when things are going well, much harder when the team is struggling more, may as well add a team counselor which is probably more needed than ever!

Edited by Pat Kelly
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Someone has to do the little things. Forget bunting. How about taking pitches, going the other way, getting clutch hits, putting the ball in play early in counts?  We’re terrible at the small things. 

Sounds like what this team needs is Adam Frazier lol. If only we had kept our two most hated players last year in Frazier and Flaherty, we’d be fine. 

• Upvote 2