Stick a fork in us

DocJJ

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does it make the OP wrong though?  There’s a lot reasons to say we’re done. The OP is entitled to his opinion. Sorry if that currently disagrees with group think. We all want to win. I hope. 

That's one thing I notice about this board. It seems like if you're not optimistic somehow you're not an Orioles fan. I love the O's. Saw my first in person game in 1961.

I see people say these type of threads are "reactionary" as if we're basing it on a couple of games. I'd go as far as saying we've been mostly mediocre since the Cardinals swept us. Our record against the National League is beyond embarrassing.

Somehow we've hung on because other teams had been nearly as bad. But now in the stretch run some teams will get hot. Unfortunately with our current decimated roster and tough schedule we likely won't be one of those teams.

Hopefully we can turn this around. My gut says "no". I 100% hope I'm wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

That's one thing I notice about this board. It seems like if you're not optimistic somehow you're not an Orioles fan. I love the O's. Saw my first in person game in 1961.

I see people say these type of threads are "reactionary" as if we're basing it on a couple of games. I'd go as far as saying we've been mostly mediocre since the Cardinals swept us. Our record against the National League is beyond embarrassing.

Somehow we've hung on because other teams had been nearly as bad. But now in the stretch run some teams will get hot. Unfortunately with our current decimated roster and tough schedule we likely won't be one of those teams.

Hopefully we can turn this around. My gut says "no". I 100% hope I'm wrong.

When you haven’t made it to the WS in over 40 years and your football team finds ways to regularly choke in the playoffs, as a fan you have seen this movie before and you expect to be let down.  

8 hours ago, iiiput said:

We’re still going to make the playoffs and anything can happen. This has been a weird season in the MLB. We’ve been shit for almost 3 months and we’ve lost almost no ground to anyone. There may not be a team that wins 93 games in the AL (or the MLB). That being said, we probably need to blow up the entire pitching staff but I’m not sure I trust Elias to get it right. He’s been great at building a contender through the draft, but now it’s time to build a championship team, but he still likes to rehab guys who can’t cut it on bad team. 

This is not true. We have lost a ton of ground. At our "high point" after the 17 run outburst over the Yankees we were sitting at 49-25, 24 games above .500 and .662 winning percentage. Most likely not a sustainable pace over 162, but thought of as a legit contender.

We were 8 games ahead of KC, 8.5 games ahead of MIN, and 9.5 games ahead of Boston.

As is stands today we are 2 games ahead of KC, 2 games ahead of MIN, and 5.5 games ahead of Boston. 

We have lost a ton of ground in this wild card race. 

Holding on to the "we're guaranteed to sneak in because were so far ahead" is quickly fading. 2, 2, and 5.5 is not insurmountable over 6 weeks and its pretty realistic if we keep playing the way we are. At that time, at our high point, it was true that if we played .500 ball the rest of the way, we would get in comfortably. Thats still true if we're able to get back to 24 games above .500. However, we have been 6 games below .500 since that time, and its not looking like thats going to change any time soon.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Does it make the OP wrong though?  There’s a lot reasons to say we’re done. The OP is entitled to his opinion. Sorry if that currently disagrees with group think. We all want to win. I hope. 

No it doesn’t and that’s a very fair point. 
But for a franchise that has basically sucked for 40 years it feels a little disappointing to have a fan base that rolls over in the face of adversity while still being one of the best 5 teams in baseball. 

But perhaps we have reached the moment as a team. Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth.   At a game and a half back we are about 5 days from feeling like we’re in a bottomless pit or we are getting up off the canvas. 

Will the Orioles get back up?  I certainly hope they do. I’m standing by them.    I say they do.

18 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But for a franchise that has basically sucked for 40 years it feels a little disappointing to have a fan base that rolls over in the face of adversity 

We're not "rolling over". We're looking at the performance on the field the last two months+, the M. A. S.H. unit of a squad we have and the schedule. It's not that we've given up on the O's (I won't do that til the fat lady sings). We're just being realistic that our chance of going to the WS look pretty grim at this point.

Having said that, we all want this to turn around. 

10 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

We're not "rolling over". We're looking at the performance on the field the last two months+, the M. A. S.H. unit of a squad we have and the schedule. It's not that we've given up on the O's (I won't do that til the fat lady sings). We're just being realistic that our chance of going to the WS look pretty grim at this point.

Having said that, we all want this to turn around. 

I agree with you, but there are some who are rolling over and almost seem to revel in it.

35 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But for a franchise that has basically sucked for 40 years it feels a little disappointing to have a fan base that rolls over in the face of adversity while still being one of the best 5 teams in baseball. 

But perhaps we have reached the moment as a team. Mike Tyson said everyone has a plan until they are punched in the mouth.   At a game and a half back we are about 5 days from feeling like we’re in a bottomless pit or we are getting up off the canvas. 

Will the Orioles get back up?  I certainly hope they do. I’m standing by them.    I say they do.

How anyone could say with a straight face that this is one of the 5 best teams in baseball is mind blowing. This record is built on the first 73 games. They’ve blown it up since. 

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

How anyone could say with a straight face that this is one of the 5 best teams in baseball is mind blowing. This record is built on the first 73 games. They’ve blown it up since. 

Are they playing the best now?  Of course not.  But their record is one of the 5 best and has been for 2 years....not 2 months.  

That is not an opinion, it is a clear and precise statement of fact.  It also goes without saying that past performance does not guarantee future results.

And yes what we are seeing currently is more than a little bit short of that bar.  The question is, what are we going to get from here?   I am in no way being blind to the reality of what we are seeing, but my magic 8 ball is not as definitive that the season is over.  

Edited by foxfield

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yeah, maybe a top 20 team

Even a team like the Tigers with their young pitching studs has passed the Orioles

It's all about pitching, and Mike Elias ignores pitching

Time for a GM change Baltimore

42 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Are they playing the best now?  Of course not.  But their record is one of the 5 best and has been for 2 years....not 2 months.  

That is not an opinion, it is a clear and precise statement of fact.  It also goes without saying that past performance does not guarantee future results.

And yes what we are seeing currently is more than a little bit short of that bar.  The question is, what are we going to get from here?   I am in no way being blind to the reality of what we are seeing, but my magic 8 ball is not as definitive that the season is over.  

I’m not talking about their record. You didn’t even mention their record. If you think this is a Top 5 baseball team right now, you’re delusional. 

36 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Yeah, maybe a top 20 team

Even a team like the Tigers with their young pitching studs has passed the Orioles

It's all about pitching, and Mike Elias ignores pitching

Time for a GM change Baltimore

This is an even dumber comment than saying we’re Top 5.