Orioles wins the last 2 years

Sports Guy

17 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get it, and I do very much care about day in and day out the team doing well.

But I don't want to hear about not getting swept, having the best regular season record and other stuff of that ilk when the team isn't having success in the post season.  They haven't been to a WS since '83.  They've been to one ALCS in the current millennium. 

If they win the division with 93 wins and get bounced in the ALDS are you going to consider the season a success? 

I should but I won't.

I would consider the season a success, yes.  To me, all you can do is try to get yourself in the position for the tournament.  From there it's a series of coin flips.  You yourself seem to recognize this, but those dang human emotions get in the way, which is fully understandable.

Last time the O's made the WS I was 2 years old, which I obviously don't remember.  So I get it.  But I fully believe "success in the post-season" is largely something that can't be controlled in any meaningful way.  Try to have a good bullpen, that's about the best suggestion I could make.

It is a more fun trick to lead the AL in Wins during a 1-year period, an accomplishment of 2023 (like the Ravens) and 2024 for the moment with 3.5 weeks of season left.

Adjacent, ESPN Kiley published 2025-2026 Talent Core Rankings this morning for the 30 Clubs, pegging the AL East...

3 BAL, 12 NYY, 13 BOS, 19 TBR, 24 TOR

He slotted Chisholm and A. Wells at the back of his PLUS tier, and held Holliday and Grayson to the top of his SOLID tier, but we'll see how that competition plays out on the field in '25-'26, and also one or two more series this season.

SEA and CLE were the next two AL clubs, with of course LAD-ATL leading MLB.

7 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I would consider the season a success, yes.  To me, all you can do is try to get yourself in the position for the tournament.  From there it's a series of coin flips.  You yourself seem to recognize this, but those dang human emotions get in the way, which is fully understandable.

Last time the O's made the WS I was 2 years old, which I obviously don't remember.  So I get it.  But I fully believe "success in the post-season" is largely something that can't be controlled in any meaningful way.  Try to have a good bullpen, that's about the best suggestion I could make.

If I wasn't so aware of the ephemeral nature of the core I imagine I'd be more sanguine about the situation.

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

But I fully believe "success in the post-season" is largely something that can't be controlled in any meaningful way.  Try to have a good bullpen, that's about the best suggestion I could make.

Mariano just gets better with time.

The playoffs hit 3 rounds in 1994, and Mariano was a rookie the next season.

He anchored the team to an almost unfathomable playoff series winning percentage from 1996-2000, when fans were getting used to what 3 rounds of playoffs felt like.    It hasn't worked out that way for Friedman's Dodgers, no matter how many Most NL Wins in a 10-year period accumulate.

The Core Four was a moniker, but I think of them more and more each year as "Mariano's Yankees" in retrospect.    Yeah, Jeets.

Maybe one day Felix Bautista drags Gunnar Henderson along, even though WAR will never tell the tale.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

For the thousandth time I wish we still had signatures.

The Avatar looks amazing on that.

I just had to capture that exquisite sentence in quote format lol. Ephemeral and sanguine in the same sentence?? Delightful. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just had to capture that exquisite sentence in quote format lol. Ephemeral and sanguine in the same sentence?? Delightful. 

Sometimes you need to flex the vocabulary a bit when you are essentially saying the same things over and over.  😉

• Upvote 1