Who is going to end up the best career catcher? Wieters or Rutschmann.

Gurgi

Baring injury Adley gets more War.

Who do you want up to bat in a winner take all playoff game?

Who do you want behind the plate with a Rickey Henderson type on first base in a tie ballgame 9th inning?

I really bought into the switch hitting Jesus thing with Wieters.  This disappointment (perhaps misguided) led me to really not want to use a 1/1 draft pick on a catcher.   I am kind of wishing we went with Witt.  

I think I heard people saying the most important position on defense is catcher.  So how does it compare to SS or Centerfield.   Would you be better off using Rick Dempsey type all glove and arm with light bat or going all in on a 1/1 on a catcher?

If this has already been discussed tons dont yell at me I sometimes go months or weeks without posting.  

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wieters had a career fWAR of 15.5.

Adley is at 14.3 in less than 3 seasons.

Its Adley…by a mile.

Of course.

I, like the rest of us have been trying to figure out what is the deal with Adley's struggles.

I agree that the injury angle is most likely but I can't see why, if you have a team with a strong chance of making the playoffs, why you wouldn't stick him on the IL for a couple of weeks to try and get him 100% for the playoffs rather than have him out there at 70% or whatever he's at.

All I can think of is that it's something that can be played through but will require surgery to actually fully recover from.  Maybe a hernia?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course.

I, like the rest of us have been trying to figure out what is the deal with Adley's struggles.

I agree that the injury angle is most likely but I can't see why, if you have a team with a strong chance of making the playoffs, why you wouldn't stick him on the IL for a couple of weeks to try and get him 100% for the playoffs rather than have him out there at 70% or whatever he's at.

All I can think of is that it's something that can be played through but will require surgery to actually fully recover from.  Maybe a hernia?

Dont know what it is, but theres something wrong with Adley.

Adley's first three years: .353 OBP, when the league average is about .315. 

Wieters' first three years: .328 OBP, when the league average was about .326. 

That's the biggest difference difference between them and why Adley will be better, even if it doesn't look like it for the last couple months. 

12 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Adley's first three years: .353 OBP, when the league average is about .315. 

Wieters' first three years: .328 OBP, when the league average was about .326. 

That's the biggest difference difference between them and why Adley will be better, even if it doesn't look like it for the last couple months. 

It was the difference his first two years. This year Adley has a .321 OBP. 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It was the difference his first two years. This year Adley has a .321 OBP. 

Still 9 points above league average.   

Bottom line, you have to decide if you think Adley’s second half is a slump or other result of an injury, or if this is the “new Adley.”  If the latter, there’s a decent case for Wieters.  If the former, then Adley is clearly the guy.   Personally, I believe the former.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course.

Whatever seems to be possibly ailing Adley, IMO looks like it only affects him when hitting.  He sprang up outta his crouch like a Jack-in-the-Box and hustled for that foul pop/bunt yesterday and did not look like he was suffering any ill effects.

But what do I know?  🤔🤣

29 minutes ago, Witchy_Chick said:

Whatever seems to be possibly ailing Adley, IMO looks like it only affects him when hitting.  He sprang up outta his crouch like a Jack-in-the-Box and hustled for that foul pop/bunt yesterday and did not look like he was suffering any ill effects.

But what do I know?  🤔🤣

I'd say that overall his defense has also been down this year.