• (#6) Dodgers - 266, 790, 568
  • (#7) Tigers - 261, 788, 488
  • (#10) Guardians - 261, 772, 471
  • (#11) Phillies - 267, 762, 532
  • (#12) Padres - 269, 759, 499
  • (#14) Astros - 267, 751, 506
  • (#16) Orioles - 251, 741, 488
  • (#20) Braves - 247, 727, 449

This says it all. It's been a problem all season, and it reared its ugly head when it absolutely mattered plenty of times in these 2 games. If this was the 2023 club, this is an easy 2-0. The O's ranked #1 last year. 287 average, 837 OPS, and 597 RBI. This year, they were nearly 110 RBI off the mark, 30+ on average, and a whopping nearly 100 points off OPS. 

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Many of the same players. So what’s the answer ?

I think last year they were still seen as the underdog and didn’t have lot of expectations as they were ahead of schedule.  This year there was more pressure and as the failures built up the more pressure they got.  They were swinging at pitches out of the zone and when they got a good pitch were either taking it or missing it.   Once they didn’t score with bases loaded the sails pretty much were gone the rest of the game.  I think the hope was the hot streak the last week would carry on to playoffs but once they failed in game 1 there was ton of pressure.  The question is what changes they make.  I think 1st base and right field will be the changes weather that in house or a veteran bat.  

Just now, bpilktree67 said:

I think last year they were still seen as the underdog and didn’t have lot of expectations as they were ahead of schedule.  This year there was more pressure and as the failures built up the more pressure they got.  They were swinging at pitches out of the zone and when they got a good pitch were either taking it or missing it.   Once they didn’t score with bases loaded the sails pretty much were gone the rest of the game.  I think the hope was the hot streak the last week would carry on to playoffs but once they failed in game 1 there was ton of pressure.  The question is what changes they make.  I think 1st base and right field will be the changes weather that in house or a veteran bat.  

So it was mental. Ok. 

I’m fine getting a vet bat. 

38 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Many of the same players. So what’s the answer ?

I was elected to read, not to lead.

But seriously, I really question the hitting coaches. Mayo and Holliday are rookies, and we should expect some growing pains. But man, they looked lost when they first came up. Maybe they’ll be better for it next year, but there appears to be some disconnect.

All that said, this is a roster construction issue, too. Yes, if Adley hit as well in the 2nd half as he did in the first half, maybe this team looks different. But then doesn’t explain how miserable this team was with RISP. I’d be very curious what caused the dramatic drop off. Was it coaching? Not sure. I guess we’ll find out if there are changes.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

But seriously, I really question the hitting coaches. Mayo and Holliday are rookies, and we should expect some growing pains. But man, they looked lost when they first came up. Maybe they’ll be better for it next year, but there appears to be some disconnect.

All that said, this is a roster construction issue, too. Yes, if Adley hit as well in the 2nd half as he did in the first half, maybe this team looks different. But then doesn’t explain how miserable this team was with RISP. I’d be very curious what caused the dramatic drop off. Was it coaching? Not sure. I guess we’ll find out if there are changes.

Guys got hurt and others pressed. Adley I have no idea about 2nd half  

Cowser had a good year but needs. growth. 

This team needs to learn how to get on base. Homer's are nice, but some times hitting the single the opposite way is even nicer.  Watching the games all season, it appeared that pretty much the entire team was looking to hit the 5 run Homer, swinging out of their shoes every at bat

I was so excited about the 2023 offensive approach. Felt like we just took good ABs regularly up and down the system. And I felt like that was going to be a breath of fresh air with this core of players versus the previous playoff core.

I don’t know if we just fell in love with the HR or what.. But I’m pretty surprised and disappointed the offense we saw last year has essentially turned into the 2012-16 teams.

I really thought this group was going to be capable of grinding out playoff at bats and valuing getting on base. Now I don’t know long term and we have two pretty different samples. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I made this comment in another thread, but I think there has to be a serious review within organization of how they are instructing their hitting prospects. We see prospect after prospect come up and struggle mightily. I think it's more than just some bad luck.

And there's way too many hitters that are home run or die in this lineup. The Orioles did score a decent amount of runs this year, but this offense is easy to shutdown. Limit the home runs given up and the Orioles will struggle just get on the scoreboard. 

The baseball doesn't travel as well when the weather cools and the competition gets better in the postseason. You can't beat up on some .500 or worse pitching staff in the playoffs.