Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people don't understand what it is like for many uber amatuer players when thay finally can't simply rely on what God gave them and what thier Dad's taught them. Billy Rowell is a stud physically and has the ability to hit the ball a long way, however he has had trouble at the professional level. He still at times, based on some reports, acts as if he is without question the best player on the field. Well this is tough for young guys like Rowell because they have never experienced this not being the case. They did not have to listen to critical voices when they were young because they always had success. Youth ball IMO has also tailored the game to make the Rowell type player even better when compared to the average player. Most youth and HS fences are way to short IMO and it rewards bad habits. Then when someone tries to tell a youngster look what your doing will not work at higher levels they look at you like "coach you are an idiot, I hit a HR every 6 ABs". Nevermind that they are really hitting what should be a fly out. Their parents think you are picking on the kid. He seems to be showing signs of coming around, which if he is, means he is listening to someone that knows what they are talking about and that he is working on his game. Those two things are IMO the most important attributes that lead to future progress. THe truth is baseball is a results based business and he will either start putting up the numbers or he will sell insurance. The size of his ego will have zero to do with it really. But him having trouble adjusting to being just another player in the system at ages 17-20 really is a weak reason to think less of the kid.

Yeah, he's 20 years old which gives him plenty of time. That's why I hope he gets a big attitude adjustment - he will be much much more successful if he does. Big strong kid who's a good athlete.

It's been about over 1 year and close to 2 years since he was with at Delmarva. Kid is young and reports from the organization and others is that his attitude is better this year. How much better, who knows unless you are around him now. It seemed he may have been humbled last season by his lack of success. Maybe he also saw how Wieters, Arrieta, Snyder have passed him by while he was in Frederick and did not seem to have big egos.

Maybe you should rethink your attitude about Rowell. I understand if you want to be skeptical about him, but you sound really bitter if you're wishing the worst to happen to a person simply due to their ego. If you're a fan of the O's, you should want him to succeed.

It's been about over 1 year and close to 2 years since he was with at Delmarva. Kid is young and reports from the organization and others is that his attitude is better this year. How much better, who knows unless you are around him now. It seemed he may have been humbled last season by his lack of success. Maybe he also saw how Wieters, Arrieta, Snyder have passed him by while he was in Frederick and did not seem to have big egos.

That is great! I am glad to hear this :) Whatever happened to help him re-adjust, I hope it continues as he does have a really bright future. Thanks.

I may be stern in my feelings, however, I am open to change :)

The Billy Rowell that I know, I do not like. That is the kind of people I do not like. I believe you have to work hard to succeed and still respect others. The Billy Rowell I know was not like this therefore I did not like him.

If he's changed, GREAT! I'm all for it. People make mistakes and some learn from them. I've made tons of mistakes and gotten a lot of help along the way. Life is full of making mistakes! Only the smart people, learn from them and change their ways :)

Archived