Patton tonight

MDsportsfan15

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll be worried about Patton if he's throwing 82 - 83 tops a month from now. In the meantime, let him work on getting hitters out...which he appears to be doing quite well.

This is true.

It's pretty impressive that he was able to strikeout 6 guys with that kind of velocity.

Whoa. I had reports that he was throwing in the low 90's in spring training. Bowie Mike, is that gun a slow one? I think he needs to be in the upper 80's to have any success in the ML's. That really is terrible news to me if that is accurate.

Whoa. I had reports that he was throwing in the low 90's in spring training. Bowie Mike, is that gun a slow one? I think he needs to be in the upper 80's to have any success in the ML's. That really is terrible news to me if that is accurate.

ML guns are frequently off. Bowie's is worse.

I can't imagine him pitching so well, even at "only" AA with that velocity.

ML guns are frequently off. Bowie's is worse.

I can't imagine him pitching so well, even at "only" AA with that velocity.

Real quick update...

Just spoke with Patton and Komminsk who discounted the stadium gun in Bowie. Patton insisted that he's throwing harder than 82-83MPH. More in the range of 88-91, he said.

I'll have more later...

I asked Steve Melewski (who has been doing a great job) before the game tonight when he thought a realistic timetable for Patton to come up was:

They will probably proceed somewhat cautiously with him early. I could see him moving to Triple-A in the second half and maybe be someone to callup late this season or in September. He's been in the Majors already and if healthy, and it sure looks like he is, is a real prospect to watch. - Steve

I asked Steve Melewski (who has been doing a great job) before the game tonight when he thought a realistic timetable for Patton to come up was:

That seems really conservative to me, if he is healthy. He really doesn't need any more time in the minors if he is healthy. And really, it would not be any more stressfull on his arm to pitch in Baltimore than it would be in Bowie. Remember, Patton was a ML pitcher already when we traded for him.

That seems really conservative to me, if he is healthy. He really doesn't need any more time in the minors if he is healthy. And really, it would not be any more stressfull on his arm to pitch in Baltimore than it would be in Bowie. Remember, Patton was a ML pitcher already when we traded for him.

I agree I was a little surprised with his answer as well. If he is dominating in the minors and his velocity is back to pre-injury there is no reason to keep him down.

I agree I was a little surprised with his answer as well. If he is dominating in the minors and his velocity is back to pre-injury there is no reason to keep him down.

Thanks for the information. Anyone with a sig line like yours is OK with me.;)

In the sixth, right near the end of the inning, Patton threw one 89mph. One of the Akron players got a pitch up to 93. Other than that no one was throwing hard on the gun. Akron had maybe two other pitches over 90mph.

If I had to say I would say the gun was slow.

Great game tonight. Won 2-0.

Saw a weird play in the middle of the game. One of our guys hit a deep, deep shot to center field. The outfielder went back on it like he had a good read on it. When he got to the wall he put his glove up and ball hit the wall at the 405 mark. He was at least 20 feet from the ball and going away from it. It was just amazing. Never saw a guy miss a ball worse in my life. Completely missed it somehow. Must of been tracking a phantom ball or a tracer on his eyeballs caused by the ball going thru the lights.

I was at the game tonight and 85 mph was where he was at, unfortunately.

Anyone know where he usually is on the radar gun?

And on the topic of him or Berken joining the Norfolk staff...has anyone joined the Tides to replace Albers, Liz, or even Hennessey (DL)????

EDIT: don't get me wrong, he still pitched great tonight.

I am a huge Patton guy and have been hoping for a June callup. I'll take him over BB or Hernandez right now in terms of abilty to give us better starts, but I want him to show a normal progression in arm strength through the first two months of the season before we challenge him with a lineup like the Yanks or Rangers.

A lot of guys who finally make it to the bigs (or finally make it back) have tendency to reach for more than they have or be hesitant to admit minor injuries that can lead to major ones. I want him to stay down until June because I want him to hold down our four or five spot for years to come. Here's hoping.

Archived