• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those guys going 1-4 are my nightmare scenario.

I know, everyone thinks Poythress is much too big a reach at #5. But that's honestly who I'd take. He can crush the ball. We need some power prospects. (Aside from Reimold, we don't have a power hitter in our entire organization). He plays solid defense. Huff will be gone in a year.

Givens would be the only other guy that might tempt me. But as a pitcher or hitter? The word is that while he has the tools to stick at SS, his bat is full of question marks. And our track record at "grooming" high school hitters stinks, save Brandon Snyder (and possibly Ryan Adams if he ever stays healthy).

Keith Law chat:

Chris (NYC): Can we get a top 10 mock? Do you think Zack Wheeler or Shelby Miller can sneak in?

Keith Law: (1:14 PM ET ) With the caveat that I'm not really matching players to teams: Strasburg, Ackley, Tate, Matzek, Crow, Miller, Wheeler, Scheppers, White, Poythress. Not so much because I like Poythress in that spot but because they're going to want to cut a deal with someone since the pick is unprotected AND they have to spend big on Strasburg.

Yeah, he's really been moving up for me too, I have him right behind Gibson and ahead of White for me as far as college pitchers go.

I'd put him closer to mid/late first round (he could go even later) simply because his size does scare me a bit w/r/t durability. But I love his stuff.

My apparent mancrush screams Mychal Givens, but my brain says Matthew Purke.

I like Givens, but I see him in the 15-25 range. He has the tools to stick at SS but I might prefer his movements at 2B. His bat is okay, but not game-changing yet.

Off the mound he has electric stuff -- really fun to see. But his secondary stuff is inconsistent. He has some deception -- I'd figure him for a reliever if someone keeps him pitching.

Keith Law chat:

Chris (NYC): Can we get a top 10 mock? Do you think Zack Wheeler or Shelby Miller can sneak in?

Keith Law: (1:14 PM ET ) With the caveat that I'm not really matching players to teams: Strasburg, Ackley, Tate, Matzek, Crow, Miller, Wheeler, Scheppers, White, Poythress. Not so much because I like Poythress in that spot but because they're going to want to cut a deal with someone since the pick is unprotected AND they have to spend big on Strasburg.

I think Keith's list is pretty good. I like Wheeler a lot, but don't have anything to gauge Scheppers on. Poythress is a little high for me, but I understand what Keith is saying. Could make a lot of sense if WAS is taking Strasburg to give someone a higher pick than they might warrant so that they are more likely to sign for the slot (which would be higher than they'd otherwise be likely to get).

I think Keith's list is pretty good. I like Wheeler a lot, but don't have anything to gauge Scheppers on. Poythress is a little high for me, but I understand what Keith is saying. Could make a lot of sense if WAS is taking Strasburg to give someone a higher pick than they might warrant so that they are more likely to sign for the slot (which would be higher than they'd otherwise be likely to get).

Did you notice who is NOT in Keith Law's Top 10 List?

I know it's not likely but look at the teams picking ahead of us. Only Seattle has any money to burn. With Boras representing Strasburg he could slip to the Orioles like Wieters did a few years ago. I think it will be Ackley or Strasburg if the other teams are scared of the money. Peter will spend money in this draft. ummmmmm.......Strasburg! I don't think the Nationals will gamble big money on a ptcher. Seattle? Maybe......San Diego? No, Pittsburgh? No Chance.......Baltimore? Yes!! The Odds are Good!

I know it's not likely but look at the teams picking ahead of us. Only Seattle has any money to burn. With Boras representing Strasburg he could slip to the Orioles like Wieters did a few years ago. I think it will be Ackley or Strasburg if the other teams are scared of the money. Peter will spend money in this draft. ummmmmm.......Strasburg! I don't think the Nationals will gamble big money on a ptcher. Seattle? Maybe......San Diego? No, Pittsburgh? No Chance.......Baltimore? Yes!! The Odds are Good!

Possible, NOT likely. The Nats can't afford not to take him, so short of him saying he will not sign with WAS, they will take him, and if they don't SEA won't pass on him.

Archived