Is Tom Davis clueless?

notfast

Just turned on TV and MASN was on. He's in the middle of a rant about how he doesnt want to hear about minor leaguers in a "big league city"

He mentioned how the world champion phillies probably arent talking about whos hot in the minors and the angels arent talking about whos next.

He doesnt want the minor leagues "shoved down his throat" in a major league town.

Anyone else watching this?

I think he's completely off base. Absolutely.

If I'm a fan of the Angels I'd consider myself pretty lucky to have a farm system that is as good as their's has been, because it adds to the incredible talent we've brought in over the years. Given the talent that has come up for them (Aybar, Kotchman, Lackey, Santana, Kendrick, Adenhart, God rest his soul), I'd say I care very much about who's next in line. Beats having to root for scrubs like Adam Eaton and Kevin Millar.

So I'm going to assume that my point about how the media in New England talks about the Red Sox farm system, despite them being a successful, winning team over the last decade is going to be ignored? I mean, that virtually nullifies the whole argument about the only reason the Minors are talked about is a poor Major League product, right?

ETA: Part of the strength of a winning team comes from having MLB-ready depth in the Minor Leagues. It's extremely rare that you're going to have a team get through the season and into the playoffs without having some injury issues. Therefore, there's no reason why Minor League depth shouldn't be discussed, since it's likely going to factor into most Major League teams' seasons.

Edited by Spoonless

Clueless is a bit harsh, but I do agree.

I'm sorry when Mark Hendricksons pitching... I think about Tillman. Forgive me Tom.

And I think the point Davis is making it is a sorry state of affairs that fans such as yourself are doing so. This is indeed a perfect example of how low the major league team has sunken.:(

Sure I understand that but what I find annoying is those who were not around when folks like Davis were are ridiculing him for telling how he sees it and imparting the mindset of how it used to be, which is true. Don't disrepect the man because of ignorance because of not being around during the times when the Orioles were winners, and indeed the average fan cared little about the players at Rochester or Elmira. What Davis says is spot on. The only "clueless" people are those making fun of him.:eek::rolleyes::rolleyestf::eektf::(

I guess I haven't had the honor of a post of yours directed towards me.

But...

You're just as clueless. Being around at a time of winning means nothing in this case. It has everything to do with more knowledgable fans and a higher quality/larger quantity of information available for that fan.

This isnt 1966 where if we didnt listen to the game on the radio or read about it in the paper, we didnt know what was going on.

I find it more disrespectful that Davis feels that this is a "big league city" and for some reason we are wrong to follow the minors and see who is our future. Thats just as ignorant as your posts in this thread.

And I think the point Davis is making it is a sorry state of affairs that fans such as yourself are doing so. This is indeed a perfect example of how low the major league team has sunken.:(

Were you watching MASN/listening to 105.7? Doubtful. That was not what he was referencing.

I guess I haven't had the honor of a post of yours directed towards me.

But...

You're just as clueless. Being around at a time of winning means nothing in this case. It has everything to do with more knowledgable fans and a higher quality/larger quantity of information available for that fan.

This isnt 1966 where if we didnt listen to the game on the radio or read about it in the paper, we didnt know what was going on.

I find it more disrespectful that Davis feels that this is a "big league city" and for some reason we are wrong to follow the minors and see who is our future. Thats just as ignorant as your posts in this thread.

I find it totally insulting, rude, arrogant and condescending to even remotely insinuate or even infer that fans back in earlier years were not as knowledgeable about the game of baseball. That is a blatently wrong assumption based on ignorance beyond description. ;):cussing: If anything fans back then loved the game even more than those today. We had to because we would listen to them on radio half the time! We also followed the box scores religiously.

I might agree that the technical knowledge of the game overall is much better today, but fans were not lacking knowledge of the game back then. You are way off base in assuming this.

Edited by Old#5fan

I find it totally insulting, rude, arrogant and condescending to even remotely insinuate or even infer that fans back in earlier years were not as knowledgeable about the game of baseball. That is a blatently wrong assumption based on ignorance beyond description. ;):cussing:

Well, there's more information available at lower cost. That's undeniable.

More games to watch. More finely tuned statistics. Progress involving biomechanics.

All the tools to be more knowledgeable are there.

The fans who don't take advantage of that may not be more knowledgeable. Those who do, however, should be.

I find it totally insulting, rude, arrogant and condescending to even remotely insinuate or even infer that fans back in earlier years were not as knowledgeable about the game of baseball. That is a blatently wrong assumption based on ignorance beyond description. ;):cussing: If anything fans back then loved the game even more than those today. We had to because we would listen to them on radio half the time! We also followed the box scores religiously.

I might agree that the technical knowledge of the game overall is much better today, but fans were not lacking knowledge of the game back then. You are way off base in assuming this.

It has nothing to do with being as knowledgeable about the game of baseball. It has to do with the access to information. We can now follow our minor league system from top to bottom on a daily basis. We can follow games in the Dominican during the Winter. We can read a blog by Brandon Snyder from the Arizona Fall League. There is just more information available on the minor leaguers, which is why many fans want to talk more about them now as opposed to 1966 or 1976 or 1986. It isn't meant to be demeaning of an older generation, just a comment about why we care more about minor leaguers now.

It has nothing to do with being as knowledgeable about the game of baseball. It has to do with the access to information. We can now follow our minor league system from top to bottom on a daily basis. We can follow games in the Dominican during the Winter. We can read a blog by Brandon Snyder from the Arizona Fall League. There is just more information available on the minor leaguers, which is why many fans want to talk more about them now as opposed to 1966 or 1976 or 1986. It isn't meant to be demeaning of an older generation, just a comment about why we care more about minor leaguers now.

Fair enough, I do get what you are saying. However, it seems to me that the excerpts of what I am reading here indicate that Davis was saying is that the top echelon teams fans like the Yankees, and Angels aren't overly enamored and dwelling on their minor league players like the Orioles fans seem to be. I think he is probably right in saying this, and certainly not clueless at all.

Fair enough, I do get what you are saying. However, it seems to me that the excerpts of what I am reading here indicate that Davis was saying is that the top echelon teams fans like the Yankees, and Angels aren't overly enamored and dwelling on their minor league players like the Orioles fans seem to be. I think he is probably right in saying this, and certainly not clueless at all.

Go do some research online and you will find sites like this for most other teams. On those sites you will see fans that are nuts over their minor league prospects. A lot of top echolon team fans care about their farm systems. I have never said Davis is clueless, I just think he is wrong.

Well, I said it twice, so I guess the third time's the charm. I listen to the sports talk radio in my area, which is Red Sox talk, broadcasting from Boston. They talk about the Minor Leaguers. Are you going to respond to this, or just keep going on about how the only reason we talk about the Minors is because our ML team has been bad?